Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Hi everyone - Moving to Doha

Hi everyone - Moving to Doha

Old Aug 23rd 2022, 8:41 am
Just Joined

Smudgers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi everyone - Moving to Doha

Hi, Im Kathy, my Husband and I will be moving with his new job to Doha from the UK in the coming months.
Im interested in hearing what life is like over there first hand. My husband has workmates out there already but I wont know anyone at all. We will be moving on our own as our kids are grown up so I will be looking for work myself to keep me busy.
Im quite a 'crafty' person, I love making things like floral wreaths & displays, furniture upcycling and I love photography, Im not sure if I will be able to pursue either of these whilst over there? Are there any photography groups that I can join?

Im sure I will have many questions to ask and look forward to 'speaking' to everyone.

Last edited by Smudgers; Aug 23rd 2022 at 8:43 am. Reason: forgot a few details
Old Aug 25th 2022, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

fezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Hi everyone - Moving to Doha

Hi Kathy, Welcome to Doha. I'd definitely recommend joining some facebook groups: British Expats in Qatar; When, Where & How in Doha. There are some craft groups too and places like https://clayencounters.com/ which could be a starting point. People do sell crafts from MIA Park: https://www.mia.org.qa/en/mia-park/park-bazaar . Drop me a PM if you want any more info.
Old Aug 27th 2022, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

w_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond reputew_scott has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smudgers
Hi, Im Kathy,
Im interested in hearing what life is like over there first hand. .
Life in Qatar is not bad compared to other GCC countries. I believe it is better than Kuwait, Bahrain and KSA. Maybe UAE is the only one that comes ahead. There are plenty of shopping malls, some nice beaches and good infrastructure. Living is comfortable but can be boring at times.
Old Aug 29th 2022, 9:12 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by w_scott
Life in Qatar is not bad compared to other GCC countries. I believe it is better than Kuwait, Bahrain and KSA. Maybe UAE is the only one that comes ahead. There are plenty of shopping malls, some nice beaches and good infrastructure. Living is comfortable but can be boring at times.
Purely anecdotal, but I've known a few people who've gone to Qatar after KSA, and they've all said they preferred KSA.

Reasons included:
1) it's just Doha basically which shrinks and shrinks2) the weather3) extremely entitled locals being a PITA to work with.

I'd take Bahrain over Qatar any day, although shrinkage would be a factor there too.
Old Aug 29th 2022, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Critical to surviving Doha is making plenty of escape plans. Long weekends in the UAE or Oman, venture a bit further afield to Sri Lanka or the Maldives, weekend breaks in European cities or around the Mediterranean.

If you have options on where to live, go for either West Bay or the Pearl. Anywhere else in Doha is a bit dreary.

Be socially active. Expatdom rewards people who are go getters and get out and about. Don't turn down invites to drinks or brunches during your first few months.