Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Hep B/Hep C Antigens - Help Please!

Hep B/Hep C Antigens - Help Please!

Old Jul 5th 2012, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

MuzD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hep B/Hep C Antigens - Help Please!

Hi,

Some years ago I got vaccinated against Hep B/ Hep C.

This means when I have my medical examination I might show positive for the Anti - Hepatitis B/C antigens. I have a good health record and never had any type of the Heptatitis or TB.

Will it be a problem when I get medically examined for Bahrain?

Please help!
Old Jul 6th 2012, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Hep B/Hep C Antigens - Help Please!

Can some one please help?
Old Jul 6th 2012, 1:59 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MuzD
Hi,

This means when I have my medical examination I might show positive for the Anti - Hepatitis B/C antigens. I have a good health record and never had any type of the Heptatitis or TB.

Please help!
As long as you have kept the vaccination records, there should be no problem. If you haven't, I don't know, and I suspect most people don't.

Please remember that if a question is "ignored" here, either people cannot answer, or don't want to. Either way, bumping the thread doesn't help, nor does it change people being able to answer. Please also remember that on a Friday in the Middle East, most people are out having a life (unlike me) and that maybe why you have no replies.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 2:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
As long as you have kept the vaccination records, there should be no problem. If you haven't, I don't know, and I suspect most people don't.

Please remember that if a question is "ignored" here, either people cannot answer, or don't want to. Either way, bumping the thread doesn't help, nor does it change people being able to answer. Please also remember that on a Friday in the Middle East, most people are out having a life (unlike me) and that maybe why you have no replies.
It also helps if posting a question, to put it in the right forum, and the main ME one would be better than one about jobs, which is mostly about specific companies or occupations, which people might not bother to check.

I've moved this one for the OP.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

You will be tested for HIV, Hepatitis and TB, irrespective of any certificates you may already have.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 2:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing is conclusive but I had Hep B & C jabs in the UK before coming out - in theory I would test positive for these as I have the antigens. I've passed the blood test twice...
Old Jul 6th 2012, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

You'll be fine. They only test for active infection.
Old Jul 7th 2012, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

dragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nice

If you have had injection a period of time ago, then you only have "memory" cells in your body that are waiting to be activated when the disease appears in your system - that is when they stimulate other cells to produce the antigen to fight the infection. Otherwise, the "memory" cells just float around your system waiting to spring into action - they are not detected by the test that they use.

So your test will come back positive if:
1. You have an active infection
2. (maybe) if you have had vaccination in the couple of weeks before the test - as a false positive.

Last edited by dragonladyoz; Jul 7th 2012 at 7:34 am.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dragonladyoz
If you have had injection a period of time ago, then you only have "memory" cells in your body that are waiting to be activated when the disease appears in your system - that is when they stimulate other cells to produce the antigen to fight the infection. Otherwise, the "memory" cells just float around your system waiting to spring into action - they are not detected by the test that they use.

So your test will come back positive if:
1. You have an active infection
2. (maybe) if you have had vaccination in the couple of weeks before the test - as a false positive.

Thanks a lot for the detailed info, I really appreciate it.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 12:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Please help!
If it was some years ago, it would be the Hep A/B vaccine you received, this year has seen the breakthrough in research for Hep C vaccine. My kids, husband and I had all had Hep A/B shots before we went to Dubai and our blood tests were fine (the kids weren't tested).
Old Jul 20th 2012, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

hongkers97 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am planning t move to UAE with my family for work. We will have to undergo the medical..

My wife will not be working in Abu Dhabi, however she is a carrier of HepB.. Will she be tested (it sugggests that she will not be as she is not going to work in any the specified industries). What would happen if she does test positive?
Old Jul 21st 2012, 7:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hongkers97
I am planning t move to UAE with my family for work. We will have to undergo the medical..

My wife will not be working in Abu Dhabi, however she is a carrier of HepB.. Will she be tested (it sugggests that she will not be as she is not going to work in any the specified industries). What would happen if she does test positive?
She will be tested. If positive she will be deported.
Old Jul 21st 2012, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

LaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond reputeLaLaLayla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
She will be tested. If positive she will be deported.
Not quite. They test for active infection (HBsAG) only. If she does not have an active infection, and is only a carrier (HBcAG), the result will be negative.

I would suggest she confirms her HBV status by blood test before she gets here. But my guess is she would be fine.
Old Jul 21st 2012, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

LaLaLayla is right, they will be looking for an active infection/virus. I have confirmed this with one of the medical centre's at harvey street.
Old Jul 21st 2012, 9:45 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

LaLaLayla is right, they will be looking for an active infection/virus. I have confirmed this with one of the medical centre's at harvey street.

L not v.
Why go there anyway?
Do you live in London?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.