Hep B in Dubai

Old Apr 4th 2010, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

expatbusiness is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hep B in Dubai

A work colleague who has been in Dubai for 5 years has recently been admitted to hospital and diagnosed with Hep B he is now recovering, will he get deported on his next blood test which is due in 6 months time ??
Old Apr 4th 2010, 7:44 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hep B in Dubai

I don't know regarding your question, but I would imagine that if he's been given the all-clear, the on-the-spot blood test will show up negative and all will be hunky dory.

FYI, Hep B is a more prevalent STD than HIV/AIDS. It can be transmitted through "bodily fluids" and blood. Vaccinations are widely available.
Old Apr 4th 2010, 8:50 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

Youngest sister is a microbiologist and recommended to us many years ago that immunisation against HepA and HepB should be done wherever you live or travel - even if living and travelling solely within Europe.

Last year we renewed our cover against HepA and HepB - it's a course of 3 injections over 6 months and it lasts 10 years. Think from memory the cost was something around 800dhs or 1000dhs/person.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 7:03 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
I don't know regarding your question, but I would imagine that if he's been given the all-clear, the on-the-spot blood test will show up negative and all will be hunky dory.

FYI, Hep B is a more prevalent STD than HIV/AIDS. It can be transmitted through "bodily fluids" and blood. Vaccinations are widely available.

As far as i know you do not get the all clear you are always a carrier of the virus so i think it will show in the next blood test , not sure though does anyone know??
thanks
Old Apr 5th 2010, 11:30 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

ok, here's a Wikipedia article.

It would seem that, on the positive side, "Hepatitis B virus infection may either be acute (self-limiting) or chronic (long-standing). Persons with self-limiting infection clear the infection spontaneously within weeks to months.", but on the down side "Hepatitis B virus DNA persists in the body after infection and in some people the disease recurs".

So really, what we need to know is whether they test for the virus itself or the DNA of the virus?
Old Apr 6th 2010, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
ok, here's a Wikipedia article.

It would seem that, on the positive side, "Hepatitis B virus infection may either be acute (self-limiting) or chronic (long-standing). Persons with self-limiting infection clear the infection spontaneously within weeks to months.", but on the down side "Hepatitis B virus DNA persists in the body after infection and in some people the disease recurs".

So really, what we need to know is whether they test for the virus itself or the DNA of the virus?
Many thanks for that, also i suppose the real question is if it shows on his blood test for his renewal of visa will he get the boot or not, i think he will have to wait and see.