Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Help - AD Job Offer

Help - AD Job Offer

Old Oct 24th 2008, 12:43 am
Just Joined

conf123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help - AD Job Offer

Hi folks - just a very quick post to get ure thoughts as i am unsure with regards to a role i have been offered in AD, the offer is basically AED35k/month all in with flights and insurance on top. COmpany has advised that it is possible to commute from Dubai if i can handle an hour and halfs drive each way which i should be ok with if it helps financially. Do not have kids so one bed apartment would do the job

thanks
Old Oct 24th 2008, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

Foxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really nice
Default Re: Help - AD Job Offer

the drive is ok 2/3 times a week max - but forget it if you have to do it 5 times a week.....
Old Oct 24th 2008, 9:06 pm
Just Joined

thanks for that it is sincerely appreciated. I will take that on board and state that i cna only drive down 2/3 days and if that is not sufficient then they cna deduct the paltry housing allowance of aed120k from the lump sum of aed420 and just provide me accomodation instead

Just to put myself at ease is that i.e. aed25k/month sufficient for a couple to live on assuming they either provide accomodation or increase the housing allowance
Old Oct 24th 2008, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

the role is in it project mgmt and i have over 5 years in it project mgmt coup led with 7/8 years in commercial finance etc... on top of that have all the project mgmt accreditations including pmi, prince2 and msp coupled with MBA from a top UK uni and an accounting degree...

the reason for the background info is so that you knowledgeable people might be able to advice if the offer is worth accepting

any advice/guidance would be sincerely appreciated
Old Oct 24th 2008, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by conf123
the role is in it project mgmt and i have over 5 years in it project mgmt coup led with 7/8 years in commercial finance etc... on top of that have all the project mgmt accreditations including pmi, prince2 and msp coupled with MBA from a top UK uni and an accounting degree...

the reason for the background info is so that you knowledgeable people might be able to advice if the offer is worth accepting

I really wouldn't call 120k paltry if its just you coming out. As a starting salary that kind of cash aint too bad at all. This place doesn't pay as much any more because it isn't an inconvenience - people actually 'want' to live here now.

You can get a 1 bedder on marina for 110k.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 10:21 pm
Just Joined

I guess that makes sense, i am probably good few years too late to have benefitted from that. I am not alone as the missus is also going to come out once i manage to sort out the accomodation but we have no kids... Dubai Marina definately sounds appealing if i can sort out the travel arrangements to AD etc... Is the all in 35k/month about the going rate for UAE then?

I guess my worry and may be i am comparing apples to oranges is that in Uk I am contracting through ltd company on c£525/day and trying to see if this opportunity would be financially better???

Thanks again for your valuable and much sought after advice
Old Oct 25th 2008, 2:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

i wouldnt drive the dxb to ad every day its a long and boring and dangerous road, my hubs does it but now only from kca to ja so its outskirts to outskirts and he still gets stuck in the traffic jams at ja, and its a nitemare when it gets foggy and becomes the death road, a lot of people do it not out of choice but because dubai has many more cheaper accommodation such as apartments compared to ad which has a massive shortage of any properties and so the prices have gone through the roof.
Old Oct 25th 2008, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

Foxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really nice

Just to put myself at ease is that i.e. aed25k/month sufficient for a couple to live on assuming they either provide accomodation or increase the housing allowance
in my opinion yes - but its all relative to the type of lifestyle you want. You will be able to have a good quality living on that salary, but not a luxurious one imo...

Is the all in 35k/month about the going rate for UAE then?
no such thing as going rate over here in my experience...all depends on your negotiation skills

...... if that is not sufficient then they cna deduct the paltry housing allowance of aed120k from the lump sum of aed420 and just provide me accomodation instead
yes AED 120k perhaps would get you a studio at best in AD if you can find one.....but the lack of supply of any housing in AD is the main problem. if they are desperate for you, put the onus on your employer to find you suitable accomodation in AD, otherwise just hike up your accomodation allowance to allow for a flat in dubai marina with hotel accomdation in AD for 2/3 nights a week - which is exactly what i am doing...
Old Oct 26th 2008, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Cham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by conf123

I'd definately start negotiating that, a friend of mine is a PM and getting that much and she's only just finishing her PMP now, and because she's lebanese she's considered cheap labour!
Old Oct 26th 2008, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

Firstly sincere and heartfelt thanks to all of you for responding but to be quite honest i am more confused than ever

IN laymans terms i think i can get the company to base me out of Dubai instead of AD but the package would remain same i.e AED35k/month plus flights, insurance and bonus ( i know what bonus)

I am married but my partner is willing to work and i am 34 years old with an MBA from Warwick Uni, an accounting undergraduate with Business and finance and 8 GCSEs. On top of that i have over ten years of experience first 7 in commercial finance and then last few in IT projec management, thsi role is in IT project mgmt where i have worked for Accenture and BT and have all the accreditations ( PMP< MSP and Prince2)

Also what would be the consequences of accepting the offer coming out and then deciding its not worth it cause i am only saving as much as i do in UK if not less as i get £525/day here contracting but my contract runs out in a few weeks.....

Many thanks in advance for your help