IT Help

Old Aug 29th 2010, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

RubberMan has a brilliant futureRubberMan has a brilliant futureRubberMan has a brilliant futureRubberMan has a brilliant futureRubberMan has a brilliant futureRubberMan has a brilliant futureRubberMan has a brilliant future
Default IT Help

Does anybody know of a good IT support person in the Abu Dhabi / Khalifa City area?

I have a wireless network that does not cover the house (3 floors and made of concrete). I have bought two devices to try and expand the range of the router but cant get either to work. I have an Etisalat router and think that might be the problem (Etisalat usually are) but I have no idea how to configure these devices to work. I need somebody who can come out and set this up. Any ideas?

Thanks
Old Aug 29th 2010, 3:12 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IT Help

Tell us what you bought and you might get some helpful hints...
Old Aug 29th 2010, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

RubberMan has a brilliant futureRubberMan has a brilliant futureRubberMan has a brilliant futureRubberMan has a brilliant futureRubberMan has a brilliant futureRubberMan has a brilliant futureRubberMan has a brilliant future

I bought a Siemens wireless network repeater first of all and now I have bought a Linksys wireless-G extender that I cant even get past the initial configuration when it is connected to the Etisalat router via ethernet. I think a setting must be wrong on the router. The router has lots of configuration options but I have no idea where to start.

Thanks
Old Aug 29th 2010, 3:30 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RubberMan
I bought a Siemens wireless network repeater first of all and now I have bought a Linksys wireless-G extender that I cant even get past the initial configuration when it is connected to the Etisalat router via ethernet. I think a setting must be wrong on the router. The router has lots of configuration options but I have no idea where to start.
Siemens Gigaset WLAN Repeater 108?

What happens when you try to access the initial configuration?

If you can connect to the Etisalat router with wires and wirelessly using a PC, that's probably not the problem.

The trick for the other devices is to make sure they are not acting as a router, and that the wireless settings match exactly - except for the channel it is broadcasting on.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 4:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by typical
Siemens Gigaset WLAN Repeater 108?

What happens when you try to access the initial configuration?

If you can connect to the Etisalat router with wires and wirelessly using a PC, that's probably not the problem.

The trick for the other devices is to make sure they are not acting as a router, and that the wireless settings match exactly - except for the channel it is broadcasting on.
I can imagine that these will be problematic. Have you considered using the 'wired' version that uses the mains plug sockets as the network.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...46494&T=Module
Old Aug 29th 2010, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

I've got the same problem. 2 storey villa, internet is pretty fast if I sit in the office where my router is, but if I stray into the lounge (through 1 wall), then the signal is shite. Tried to use a second router off another port on the Etisalat box (model# Echolife Hg851), but no joy.

Anyone here managed to get a second model/router, whatever you call it, off the one etisalat box?
Old Aug 29th 2010, 5:43 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

If you set up the second router correctly, the Etisalat box should be none the wiser what you're doing. Unless it's somehow filtering MAC addresses from certain manufacturers, which is just bonkers.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

The Siemens device is a 108 repeater but I can get nothing out of that. The Linksys device should not be acting as a router as its a wireless access point only.

The initial set up with the Linksys says to connect it to the router with an ethernet cable then run the installation wizard which should find the access point and allow you to configure it. The setup wizard cannot find the device at all.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

EM - the electrical system option won't work I am told because I have a seperate circuit for the sockets on each floor. Each floor in the house has its own RCD board. Surely this is a problem that can be solved even in the land that logic forgot?
Old Aug 29th 2010, 9:17 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

The Siemens device is a 108 repeater but I can get nothing out of that. The Linksys device should not be acting as a router as its a wireless access point only.

The initial set up with the Linksys says to connect it to the router with an ethernet cable then run the installation wizard which should find the access point and allow you to configure it. The setup wizard cannot find the device at all.
The PC you are running the setup on is connected to the Etisalat router via wireless, right?

When you connect a new device to the Etisalat router via wireless, does it usually appear or do you have to tell it the name of the network?
Old Aug 30th 2010, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

Yes, the PC is connected to the router via the wireless while the setup is run.

When you bring a new device like a PC or smartphone into the vicinity of the router you see the SSID of my network and you can connect and enter the network password for access, that all works fine.

I connect the Linksys to the router and the mains power, all the lights are on as I am told to expect but when you run the setup it wont find the device and so I can only think that the router settings are the issue. Is it something to do with the WDS settings?
Old Aug 30th 2010, 5:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried turning it off and on again.....
Old Aug 30th 2010, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

Aaagh, an IT Professional arrives at last.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 5:34 am
Not an evil hypnotist

Yes, the PC is connected to the router via the wireless while the setup is run.

When you bring a new device like a PC or smartphone into the vicinity of the router you see the SSID of my network and you can connect and enter the network password for access, that all works fine.
Ok, great, so no problem on that side.

I connect the Linksys to the router and the mains power, all the lights are on as I am told to expect but when you run the setup it wont find the device and so I can only think that the router settings are the issue. Is it something to do with the WDS settings?
Firstly, how are you intending to use this repeater - with or without the ethernet cable running to the Etisalat router?

I downloaded the manual for the repeater - if you follow the instructions in Chapter 5, am I right that you get stuck on Step 7?

While the repeater is connected with wire to the router, WDS shouldn't be coming into play. What should happen is the repeater uses an IP address on your home network, which the setup program can then use to find it.

If your network uses the address range 192.168.1.x then you should be able to connect the extender to the router with a wire and then point your browser to 192.168.1.240 and see the extender setup page.

If your network uses a different address range, you have two options I think: 1) change your whole network to this address range, 2) change the IP address of the repeater.

2) might require you set it up manually, but that should be a case of logging into the extender and telling it your SSID, encryption type, password etc.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 5:44 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Typical, a few things for me to try here.

I had planned to use it once set up via the router by plugging it into one of the other telephone points wired into my villa and using the inbuilt 'network'. Somebody told me this would work. Is it feasible?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.