British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Heathrow to Dubai via Doha on Qatar airways (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/heathrow-dubai-via-doha-qatar-airways-542022/)

Fairydust Jun 9th 2008 10:32 am

Re: Heathrow to Dubai via Doha on Qatar airways

Originally Posted by Eeyore (Post 6449472)
Don't feel too bad about it - your property, like everyone else's, has been overvalued due to the reckless lending of the past 10 years or so. Getting back to more realistic property values is no bad thing, in fact it's essential for the long-term health of the economy.

Take it you sold yours at the peak then

littlejimmy Jun 9th 2008 10:46 am

Originally Posted by madferrit (Post 6449381)
Saj

I'd agree with W10, that you're cutting it very fine! From experience, with Doha it depends what time you land.. ie, they have peak times when several planes land within a short space of time, in which case it'll be like trying to find a sun bed and beating those Germans.

If you get a longer stay, got for it. Doha is actually quite a pleasant airport.

:blink::rofl:

You're not serious are you? The Business/First Class terminal is nice, but the main terminal is crap. There are very limited catering facilities and a tiny Duty Free section. It can be a loooooooooong wait if you turn up early.

And 30 minutes is tight, I agree, especially as you are bussed to and from the planes.

BC, that is astonishing re: rent for a 3-bed in Springs. I paid 140k when I was there. Madness.

Saj786 Jun 9th 2008 10:49 am

Originally Posted by madferrit (Post 6449485)
Saj

If you haven't done already, buy a copy of Dubai Explorer. You can get it from Amazon for about a tenner. There is also an Abu Dhabi version as well. Make sure you buy the 2008 version, its got a wealth of info about all aspects of moving to and living in Dubai.

Just placed an order for the Dubai Explorer - thanks for the tip.

Saj786 Jun 9th 2008 10:52 am

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 6449517)
:blink::rofl:

You're not serious are you? The Business/First Class terminal is nice, but the main terminal is crap. There are very limited catering facilities and a tiny Duty Free section. It can be a loooooooooong wait if you turn up early.

And 30 minutes is tight, I agree, especially as you are bussed to and from the planes.

BC, that is astonishing re: rent for a 3-bed in Springs. I paid 140k when I was there. Madness.

damn, I am there for 4 hours on the way back to London - good book, coffee and a seat is all i need. Can I pay to get into the first class lounge?

Eeyore Jun 9th 2008 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Fairydust (Post 6449487)
Take it you sold yours at the peak then

As I said in the other thread, it was 2005, so two years before the peak.

But (although this isn't the thread for it!) what's the intrinsic problem with falling property prices? As the value of your property falls, so does that of the next place you plan to buy.

The above deliberately doesn't take into account the rather thorny problem of negative equity, of course. But if you're relying on continued overvaluation and reckless lending to keep yourself in positive equity, then you've got much bigger problems.

Blue Cat Jun 9th 2008 11:11 am

Originally Posted by Saj786 (Post 6449463)
I am working on absolute maximums - the 5K is for groceries as well (we spend about £120 a month here in the UK on grocery shopping) How much is fuel over there - we spend about £200 a month in the UK, i guess this will be less than half based on just standard mileage

120 quid a MONTH :blink::blink::blink:

Saj786 Jun 9th 2008 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 6449576)
120 quid a MONTH :blink::blink::blink:

is that too much or too little? - there is only 2 of us

Fairydust Jun 9th 2008 11:18 am

Originally Posted by Eeyore (Post 6449558)
But (although this isn't the thread for it!) what's the intrinsic problem with falling property prices? As the value of your property falls, so does that of the next place you plan to buy.

If the next property you are going to buy isn't subject to the same market conditions then it does become a problem

lionheart Jun 9th 2008 11:22 am

Its Mr. Cheerful here! No way will you make your connection! It takes 20 minutes just to deplane and travel by bus to the terminal...then you have the usually massive queue at the desk. Minimum 45 minutes in total.

Saj786 Jun 9th 2008 11:25 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 6449625)
Its Mr. Cheerful here! No way will you make your connection! It takes 20 minutes just to deplane and travel by bus to the terminal...then you have the usually massive queue at the desk. Minimum 45 minutes in total.

Damn - Houston, we have a problem. Surely, Opodo would not sell me the tickets if it was not achievable - i think i am going to call qatar

Blue Cat Jun 9th 2008 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Saj786 (Post 6449589)

too little!!! work on 500 dhs a week ;)

Blue Cat Jun 9th 2008 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Saj786 (Post 6449632)
Damn - Houston, we have a problem. Surely, Opodo would not sell me the tickets if it was not achievable - i think i am going to call qatar

are you sure you get off the plane?

Saj786 Jun 9th 2008 11:26 am

Originally Posted by Fairydust (Post 6449607)
If the next property you are going to buy isn't subject to the same market conditions then it does become a problem

but if i am looking to sell in the UK and move to dubai then that will present financial probs

Fairydust Jun 9th 2008 11:26 am

I spend far more than that a week and there is only 3 of us and hubby is away half the time and that isn't taking into account my weekly wine bill

madferrit Jun 9th 2008 11:28 am

It sounds like too little, unless you haven't counted for eating out in that budget.

In my family of 4 we eat out very little and spend about that much per week.

From reading on the forum, you should at least expect to pay the same as UK prices if not most certainly more.