British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Heathrow to Dubai via Doha on Qatar airways (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/heathrow-dubai-via-doha-qatar-airways-542022/)

Saj786 Jun 9th 2008 8:30 am

Heathrow to Dubai via Doha on Qatar airways

Hi All - I am flying to Dubai end of June with Qatar and have a 30 minute stop-over in Doha. I'm a little worried if half hour will be enough time to change planes as well as luggage being transferred across. Also, the smallest of delays at LHR may mean missing my connecting flight from Doha to Dubai.

Does anyone have any experience of this? I guess the fact that the entire journey is on Qatar may help - any thoughts?

Thanks,
Saj

Eeyore Jun 9th 2008 8:35 am

Re: Heathrow to Dubai via Doha on Qatar airways

I haven't flown to the UK via Doha for a while now, but we had a 1-hour connection there once and I did worry that we weren't going to make it, because the queue through the x-ray machines was so long and slow-moving.

We did make it, but with only about 15 minutes to spare, so we'd have been screwed on a 30-minute connection. Hopefully they've improved throughput at the airport by now.

jvr20 Jun 9th 2008 8:47 am

It's a fairly standard connection (also from the LHR flight to the Subcontinent)... so any delay from LHR I'm sure they would hold the connecting flights.

Saj786 Jun 9th 2008 8:51 am

Thanks Eeyore - Just gotta make sure that we are quick-off and quick-on again - fingers crossed - also on a seperate note, My wife requires a visa for the Dubai which we have applied for, i doubt she will require another visa for being at Doha Airport for 30 minutes (i have spoken with Qatar about this and they dont seem to think its a problem - but thought i would ask just to be extra sure)

W10 Jun 9th 2008 8:54 am

It's cutting it pretty fine actually.

I've missed connections to London because the DXB to Doha leg was delayed. It's why I take the more expensive option of flying on Emirates now.

The transfer is pretty quick at Doha Airport but you'd have to be at the gate within 5 mins of landing to make it. I'd say try to make it a bit longer.

Blue Cat Jun 9th 2008 9:14 am

don't worry about luggage, I have flown this route before and I am pretty sure we got back onto the same plane!!! it was more to pick people up and tidy up than anything else ;)

Saj786 Jun 9th 2008 9:42 am

Thanks all - that's really useful - i discovered BE a few days ago and have since been absolutely hooked. So much good info that I would not get elsewhere - I am really keen on making the move to Dubai and will be there end June for a week to see what lifestlye is like. I will also be seeing a few companies whilst I am out there. Just so you guys feel better about where you are, we are paying £1.30 a litre for diesel - paid about £70 to fill up my tank over the weekend! Not to mention the property market being flat and slowly but surely losing equity from my property.

Blue Cat Jun 9th 2008 9:47 am

the biggest thing out here is rents, they have gone through the roof recently. I heard a 3 bed on the Springs rented at 280k!! ridiculous!

twinkle-star Jun 9th 2008 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 6449357)
the biggest thing out here is rents, they have gone through the roof recently. I heard a 3 bed on the Springs rented at 280k!! ridiculous!

Bugger..knew we should of bought ours......:frown:

madferrit Jun 9th 2008 9:53 am

Saj

I'd agree with W10, that you're cutting it very fine! From experience, with Doha it depends what time you land.. ie, they have peak times when several planes land within a short space of time, in which case it'll be like trying to find a sun bed and beating those Germans.

If you get a longer stay, got for it. Doha is actually quite a pleasant airport.

Saj786 Jun 9th 2008 10:02 am

I've already booked my flights, just gotta hope for the best.

I'm forecasting about 10K dhs a month for a 1 bed apartment anywhere close to sheik zyed road / Dubai internet City - its just myself and my wife so hopefully that will cover it. Another 5K for a small car, fuel, insurances and groceries i think will cover it. I am not looking for a hugely luxurious lifestyle, The work I do is based on commission so I will just have to forecast everything on a low base salary and see whatever comms as a bonus.

Blue Cat Jun 9th 2008 10:14 am

5k is a bit high for a small car, friend of mine leases as 1600 dhs a month. Once you get sorted buy one :thumbup:

Saj786 Jun 9th 2008 10:26 am

I am working on absolute maximums - the 5K is for groceries as well (we spend about £120 a month here in the UK on grocery shopping) How much is fuel over there - we spend about £200 a month in the UK, i guess this will be less than half based on just standard mileage

Eeyore Jun 9th 2008 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Saj786 (Post 6449336)
Not to mention the property market being flat and slowly but surely losing equity from my property.

Don't feel too bad about it - your property, like everyone else's, has been overvalued due to the reckless lending of the past 10 years or so. Getting back to more realistic property values is no bad thing, in fact it's essential for the long-term health of the economy.

madferrit Jun 9th 2008 10:32 am

Saj

If you haven't done already, buy a copy of Dubai Explorer. You can get it from Amazon for about a tenner. There is also an Abu Dhabi version as well. Make sure you buy the 2008 version, its got a wealth of info about all aspects of moving to and living in Dubai.