Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Has this been asked before?? If so Sorry

Has this been asked before?? If so Sorry

Old Jan 18th 2009, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has this been asked before?? If so Sorry

Andy, research the company thoroughly before accepting the offer and coming to Dubai.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 2:39 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieG
Andy, research the company thoroughly before accepting the offer and coming to Dubai.
couldn't agree more!
Old Jan 18th 2009, 2:40 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyMcphail
Once again thanks for all your advice.

I have spoken to the company this morning and got a little more from them (I think).

The wage has been upped to 325,000 pa inc a car. I have to sort out my accommodation which they will pay up front and deuct monthly from my salary. All medical is included.

The letter regarding my step daughter is not a problem, so that clears that one up.

What are the food prices like and utility costs, I know it depends on what you use, but a rough figure would be good.
325 less 150 for housing? -175k - less approx 40 k for schooling = 135 k a year to live on? don't think so
Old Jan 18th 2009, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

AndyMcphail is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
325 less 150 for housing? -175k - less approx 40 k for schooling = 135 k a year to live on? don't think so
seariously, 135k is not enough after the bills??
Old Jan 18th 2009, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

expat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond repute

really isnt a very good deal..there are lots of hidden extras you will only discover once you move
Old Jan 19th 2009, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

girlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to allgirlabouttown is a name known to all

I'm in AD so prices are not quite the same but you really need to do a proper break down of your expenses to get a clear idea:

Firstly I'm not even sure if 150 is enough for housing but like I said I'm in AD and that is a whole different kettle of fish. Others on here will be able to help but I'd think as a family you'd be more likely spending a min of 200. So lets call it 175.

So you've got 150 minus:

school - 40

2 x cars - 50 (nothing extravagant but based on hire given current climate)

internet/tv/utilities - 7 (not included air con as varies so dramtically depending on housing)

groceries - 50

So you are down to 3000 A YEAR left over before you've done anything.

Personally I'd say it falls well short but obviously expenditure is personal and these things vary. Best think carefully and I would urge against giving up a job in the UK with any degree of security attached.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Have you checked the wiki for break-up of expenses?
Old Jan 20th 2009, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

AndyMcphail is an unknown quantity at this point

MOG I didn't thing it was this expensive out there, again thanks for your input.

I'll wiki for the breakdown as suggested.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 12:44 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Yea andy, unfortunately a lot of the hidden costs do mount up. Still forewarned is forearmed as they say.

Take this info to your prospective employer and see if they can up your salary.

Good luck
Old Jan 27th 2009, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

kay.01 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi

i think it is no cheaper here now than in the u.k , so if you can live on that money at home then you can here, of course , minus school, and medical etc. and in a smaller house .

as for your stepdaughter's visa, i have two boys for a previous marriage , the letter from father does need stamping in the u.k from the legalisation office and then the u.a.e office in london, then when u get here it needs stamping again from the foreign office and someother government office that i cant think of but they will inform you, also i had to have the birth certificate stamped at the british embassy here first cos this needs stamps aswell. its a big headache but you will get through it. this is what i had to do anyway, and they still were 'thinking about it' .

the thing is , all these stamps cost money, you will find that there are alot of hidden charges that add up alot.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 4:14 am
Just Joined

Nikoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey there,

The good news is Rents are coming down, there are so many empty apartments that landlords just want away with them.

You don't have to live in the Marina or emirates hill to pay 200 for rent. You can easily get a two bed apartment in a nice area for tops 140 at the moment...

school fees are high yes, but they vary and if it is subsidies find out what %. You can go brand crazy and spend a fortune, or you can stay practical.

also, HR matters are rather slow here, so gear up for a frustrating ride...but once that is all over, you will be fine.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 4:25 am
Just Joined

Nikoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Andy,

Just remembered, about your wife working, legal she needs to get a work permit, which shouldn't be a problem once she is here and find a job, they will sort it out. But there are things she can do that doesn't really require that. Like teaching English privately or even tutoring schools kids privately. That pays quite well too.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 1:24 pm
Just Joined

sweetangel is an unknown quantity at this point

I heard on the news that dubai is laying off thousand of workers from construction industry.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 1:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

what in addition to the thousands already? or is this old news.