British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Half Built Buildings (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/half-built-buildings-443025/)

Crash Apr 18th 2007 7:06 am

Half Built Buildings

What's the deal with all of these partially finished buildings. Many don't seem to have any activity at all, and at others you will see a handful of workers kind of hanging out not doing much. Seems to be worse in Sharjah, but also noticed this in Deira. Just curious :confused:

W10 Apr 18th 2007 11:50 am

Re: Half Built Buildings

Progress...

A lot of projects have gone belly up (but not reported obviously - the lighthouse being the most famous), a lot of projects just get delayed by 18 years or so

littlejimmy Apr 18th 2007 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by W10 (Post 4660158)
Progress...

A lot of projects have gone belly up (but not reported obviously - the lighthouse being the most famous), a lot of projects just get delayed by 18 years or so

18 YEARS?

FOCK!

Blue Cat Apr 18th 2007 12:07 pm

Progress...

didn't he do off with the money - the owner???

Crash Apr 18th 2007 12:11 pm

Progress...

Would some of these be projects where the developer presold units, then ran off with the money? Some of the buildings I saw in Sharjah appear to be crumbling....and those are the occupied ones.

Blue Cat Apr 18th 2007 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Crash (Post 4660259)
Would some of these be projects where the developer presold units, then ran off with the money? Some of the buildings I saw in Sharjah appear to be crumbling....and those are the occupied ones.

not sure but I am positive the lighthouse one was a case of the owner doing a vanishing act, I think sometimes they run out of money and they don't get finished. Very dodgy the property market out here.

Madam Medusa Apr 18th 2007 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 4660275)
not sure but I am positive the lighthouse one was a case of the owner doing a vanishing act, I think sometimes they run out of money and they don't get finished. Very dodgy the property market out here.

there was defo one project in the Marina (is that Lighthouse?) where the developer ran off to Pakistan I think...it was reported in The Sunday Times. The people who had bought apts were led to believe for quite a while that Sheikh Mo would step in so as to avoid massive negative publicity, but this didn't happen. Not sure what the current situ is, I guess they are taking legal advice...poor sods.

MM, xx

Blue Cat Apr 18th 2007 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 4660314)
there was defo one project in the Marina (is that Lighthouse?) where the developer ran off to Pakistan I think...it was reported in The Sunday Times. The people who had bought apts were led to believe for quite a while that Sheikh Mo would step in so as to avoid massive negative publicity, but this didn't happen. Not sure what the current situ is, I guess they are taking legal advice...poor sods.

MM, xx

yes that's the one, I saw it on the tonight programme with trevor mcdonald. The situation now is that the land was purchased from Emaar and apparently they are going to finish the building but at extra cost to the people who invested originally.

Alexa Apr 18th 2007 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 4660325)
yes that's the one, I saw it on the tonight programme with trevor mcdonald. The situation now is that the land was purchased from Emaar and apparently they are going to finish the building but at extra cost to the people who invested originally.

The "crumbeling " real estate market!!!!!:rofl:
Seriously, anybody buying must be a lunatic!!!!:blink:

W10 Apr 18th 2007 12:29 pm

Shame they haven't managed to get round to it yet though huh? I mean. It's only been a year hasn't it.

Blue Cat Apr 18th 2007 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by W10 (Post 4660337)
Shame they haven't managed to get round to it yet though huh? I mean. It's only been a year hasn't it.

not sure when it happened, I actually thought it was longer than a year ago, I never go that way so not sure what state the building is in. Maybe the courts are involved etc and Emaar can't do anything??

W10 Apr 18th 2007 12:47 pm

hahahaha the courts are involved.

Good one.

Next you're going to say stupid stuff like "legal rights"

Border Reiver Apr 18th 2007 12:48 pm

I'm sure that legally it isn't as simple as Emaar just stepping in and finishing off somebody else's half finished (or actually, just started) project. The Lighthouse must be at the centre of a lot of legal action at the moment.

I think a lot of the smaller developers rely on stage payments to keep the projects going. If they don't sell enough apartments/villas/shops whatever then the project runs out of money and work slows down until they can sell some more. I've said before, I would still buy but only from the larger developers and preferably on a development where you can see some evidence of building work going on!

IndieG Apr 18th 2007 2:11 pm

Main reasons are:

The builders didn't take into consideration the sharp increase in raw material prices (price of steel and cement more than doubled in 2006). As a result, builders are facing a severe cash flow problems - very few actually tied up any bank financing - guess they were hoping to use the advance they received from their customers. Even if they sell more apartments (like BR suggests) they will still not be able to complete the project.

BR, even so called large developers are notorious for delays - take for example - DAMAC. They are totally mismanaged. They have so many projects which haven't even gotten off ground, and they keep announcing more and more. I would never recommend DAMAC! Have just heard first hand of several bad experiences.

Yes, sometimes if the builder cannot complete, then the master developer does take it over - I know of one case.

About the Burj foundation - I think it is just a rumour. The main contractor is Samsung Corporation so it seems highly unlikely......

littlejimmy Apr 18th 2007 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by IndieGirl (Post 4660807)
Main reasons are:

The builders didn't take into consideration the sharp increase in raw material prices (price of steel and cement more than doubled in 2006). As a result, builders are facing a severe cash flow problems - very few actually tied up any bank financing - guess they were hoping to use the advance they received from their customers. Even if they sell more apartments (like BR suggests) they will still not be able to complete the project.

BR, even so called large developers are notorious for delays - take for example - DAMAC. They are totally mismanaged. They have so many projects which haven't even gotten off ground, and they keep announcing more and more. I would never recommend DAMAC! Have just heard first hand of several bad experiences.

Yes, sometimes if the builder cannot complete, then the master developer does take it over - I know of one case.

About the Burj foundation - I think it is just a rumour. The main contractor is Samsung Corporation so it seems highly unlikely......

Big companies still screw things up, especially when they're using poorly-paid and poorly-qualified labour.

W10 Apr 18th 2007 4:22 pm

And when they utterly disregard recommendations made to them by consultants they brought in, because they don't like what they said.

littlejimmy Apr 18th 2007 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by W10 (Post 4661316)
And when they utterly disregard recommendations made to them by consultants they brought in, because they don't like what they said.

Tell me about it!

Typical conversation:

CLIENT: How much will this building cost?

ME: We estimate at current market rates that it will cost 500 million doughnuts.

CLIENT: NO! NO! That is too much! Change your estimate now! Our budget is only 250 million!

ME: Er...well, I would advise against it, but OK.

2 years down the line.

CLIENT: The Building cost 550 million! Why did you tell us it would cost 250 million?

ME: ARRRGGHHHHH!

W10 Apr 18th 2007 5:07 pm

alternatively

How long will it take for the doughnuts in this here man made island to settle?

Oh that will be 24 krytons

Damn it...we need to start building in 12 krytons

Buildings will subside if you start sooner, oh and I really would recommend cutting jibjibs into the sticks of the island to allow good water flow

You're fired...

NorthernLad Apr 18th 2007 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 4660275)

Last I read, he was in some small country village in England. I think he was Egyptian?

Blue Cat Apr 18th 2007 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 4661537)
Last I read, he was in some small country village in England. I think he was Egyptian?

that explains it then !! :lol:

Border Reiver Apr 18th 2007 6:15 pm

He definitely legged it to England, which is where the press tracked him down. I think he was half British and half Pakistani or Egyptian or something but had a British Passport. Hasn't everybody these days.

Madam Medusa Apr 18th 2007 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 4661537)

yep, you're right...he was an Egyptian who buggered off to Earls Barton in Northants of all places!
http://property.timesonline.co.uk/to...icle720700.ece

MM, xx

Blue Cat Apr 18th 2007 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by Border Reiver (Post 4661775)
He definitely legged it to England, which is where the press tracked him down. I think he was half British and half Pakistani or Egyptian or something but had a British Passport. Hasn't everybody these days.

I must get one !! my geordie one runs out soon ...........:rofl:

Border Reiver Apr 19th 2007 6:59 am

I thought you only needed the Geordie one to go to Sunderland?

Blue Cat Apr 19th 2007 7:20 am

Originally Posted by Border Reiver (Post 4665537)
I thought you only needed the Geordie one to go to Sunderland?

oh no I don't go to Sunderland!! that is a no go area for Geordies.

Crash Apr 19th 2007 9:43 am

Driving around today I keep noticing apartment buildings that look finished but appear to be vacant? Anyone know anything about this?

W10 Apr 19th 2007 9:45 am

That will be rich developers delaying releasing apartment buildings to keep demand artificially high.

But apparently that doesn't happen here...no sireee

Crash Apr 19th 2007 10:15 am

Originally Posted by W10 (Post 4666160)
That will be rich developers delaying releasing apartment buildings to keep demand artificially high.

But apparently that doesn't happen here...no sireee

I have been taking photos of this practice and will be notifying the proper authorities.

Madam Medusa Apr 19th 2007 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Crash (Post 4666291)
I have been taking photos of this practice and will be notifying the proper authorities.

lmao, Crash...good luck to you :D

MM, xx

Crash Apr 19th 2007 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 4666300)
lmao, Crash...good luck to you :D

MM, xx

I have to drive by the Dubai police HQ on my way home today anyway. Will they still take a complaint if I'm on a visit visa or do you have to be a resident to complain?

Madam Medusa Apr 19th 2007 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Crash (Post 4666350)
I have to drive by the Dubai police HQ on my way home today anyway. Will they still take a complaint if I'm on a visit visa or do you have to be a resident to complain?

dunno...but I don't think I'd fancy trying my luck if I wanted to stay here ;)

MM, xx

Crash Apr 19th 2007 10:37 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 4666361)
dunno...but I don't think I'd fancy trying my luck if I wanted to stay here ;)

MM, xx

I was planning to tell them my name is LittleJimmy and that I'm leaving anyway:rofl:

littlejimmy Apr 19th 2007 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Crash (Post 4666389)
I was planning to tell them my name is LittleJimmy and that I'm leaving anyway:rofl:

Feel free, because I'm leaving as well!

Crash Apr 19th 2007 11:04 am

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 4666466)
Feel free, because I'm leaving as well!

Not trying to give you a hard time LJ, in fact, I like you. You are also the only person who has given me any karma (I finally figured out how that works, still not sure what the little stars are under the nickname but I have developed two). But you are right, the more I see here, the more skeptical I'm getting about the facade. But I can be happy anywhere, we have lived in Hanoi, Shanghai, and were okay there. Interviews are starting to roll in, so I am going to have to ask for lot of dinero to be okay here.

Blue Cat Apr 19th 2007 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Crash (Post 4666509)
Not trying to give you a hard time LJ, in fact, I like you. You are also the only person who has given me any karma (I finally figured out how that works, still not sure what the little stars are under the nickname but I have developed two). But you are right, the more I see here, the more skeptical I'm getting about the facade. But I can be happy anywhere, we have lived in Hanoi, Shanghai, and were okay there. Interviews are starting to roll in, so I am going to have to ask for lot of dinero to be okay here.

yes a hell of a lot! good luck with the interviews.

littlejimmy Apr 19th 2007 2:01 pm

The stars relate to the number of posts you've made. The sadder you are, the more you have.

I like you too. And U2. You seem okay - for a septic.

Crash Apr 19th 2007 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 4667273)
The stars relate to the number of posts you've made. The sadder you are, the more you have.

I like you too. And U2. You seem okay - for a septic.

LJ, I can feel the love! Still optimistic, but will have to carefully consider a move here.

littlejimmy Apr 19th 2007 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by Crash (Post 4667329)
LJ, I can feel the love! Still optimistic, but will have to carefully consider a move here.

I would buy you a drink, but I'm going to Doha on Saturday.

Crash Apr 19th 2007 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 4668155)
I would buy you a drink, but I'm going to Doha on Saturday.

Does it look like you may find something there? Talking about drinking, I asked my brother in law's driver where I could buy something to drink - he matter of factly told me to give him a list and he would bring it to me :thumbsup:

Blue Cat Apr 19th 2007 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by Crash (Post 4668426)
Does it look like you may find something there? Talking about drinking, I asked my brother in law's driver where I could buy something to drink - he matter of factly told me to give him a list and he would bring it to me :thumbsup:

fantastic, can you give him my telephone number!!!!