British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Half Built Buildings (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/half-built-buildings-443025/)

Crash Apr 18th 2007 7:06 am

Half Built Buildings

What's the deal with all of these partially finished buildings. Many don't seem to have any activity at all, and at others you will see a handful of workers kind of hanging out not doing much. Seems to be worse in Sharjah, but also noticed this in Deira. Just curious :confused:

W10 Apr 18th 2007 11:50 am

Re: Half Built Buildings

Progress...

A lot of projects have gone belly up (but not reported obviously - the lighthouse being the most famous), a lot of projects just get delayed by 18 years or so

littlejimmy Apr 18th 2007 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by W10 (Post 4660158)
Progress...

A lot of projects have gone belly up (but not reported obviously - the lighthouse being the most famous), a lot of projects just get delayed by 18 years or so

18 YEARS?

FOCK!

Blue Cat Apr 18th 2007 12:07 pm

Progress...

didn't he do off with the money - the owner???

Crash Apr 18th 2007 12:11 pm

Progress...

Would some of these be projects where the developer presold units, then ran off with the money? Some of the buildings I saw in Sharjah appear to be crumbling....and those are the occupied ones.

Blue Cat Apr 18th 2007 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Crash (Post 4660259)
Would some of these be projects where the developer presold units, then ran off with the money? Some of the buildings I saw in Sharjah appear to be crumbling....and those are the occupied ones.

not sure but I am positive the lighthouse one was a case of the owner doing a vanishing act, I think sometimes they run out of money and they don't get finished. Very dodgy the property market out here.

Madam Medusa Apr 18th 2007 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 4660275)
not sure but I am positive the lighthouse one was a case of the owner doing a vanishing act, I think sometimes they run out of money and they don't get finished. Very dodgy the property market out here.

there was defo one project in the Marina (is that Lighthouse?) where the developer ran off to Pakistan I think...it was reported in The Sunday Times. The people who had bought apts were led to believe for quite a while that Sheikh Mo would step in so as to avoid massive negative publicity, but this didn't happen. Not sure what the current situ is, I guess they are taking legal advice...poor sods.

MM, xx

Blue Cat Apr 18th 2007 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 4660314)
there was defo one project in the Marina (is that Lighthouse?) where the developer ran off to Pakistan I think...it was reported in The Sunday Times. The people who had bought apts were led to believe for quite a while that Sheikh Mo would step in so as to avoid massive negative publicity, but this didn't happen. Not sure what the current situ is, I guess they are taking legal advice...poor sods.

MM, xx

yes that's the one, I saw it on the tonight programme with trevor mcdonald. The situation now is that the land was purchased from Emaar and apparently they are going to finish the building but at extra cost to the people who invested originally.

Alexa Apr 18th 2007 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 4660325)
yes that's the one, I saw it on the tonight programme with trevor mcdonald. The situation now is that the land was purchased from Emaar and apparently they are going to finish the building but at extra cost to the people who invested originally.

The "crumbeling " real estate market!!!!!:rofl:
Seriously, anybody buying must be a lunatic!!!!:blink:

W10 Apr 18th 2007 12:29 pm

Shame they haven't managed to get round to it yet though huh? I mean. It's only been a year hasn't it.

Blue Cat Apr 18th 2007 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by W10 (Post 4660337)
Shame they haven't managed to get round to it yet though huh? I mean. It's only been a year hasn't it.

not sure when it happened, I actually thought it was longer than a year ago, I never go that way so not sure what state the building is in. Maybe the courts are involved etc and Emaar can't do anything??

W10 Apr 18th 2007 12:47 pm

hahahaha the courts are involved.

Good one.

Next you're going to say stupid stuff like "legal rights"

Border Reiver Apr 18th 2007 12:48 pm

I'm sure that legally it isn't as simple as Emaar just stepping in and finishing off somebody else's half finished (or actually, just started) project. The Lighthouse must be at the centre of a lot of legal action at the moment.

I think a lot of the smaller developers rely on stage payments to keep the projects going. If they don't sell enough apartments/villas/shops whatever then the project runs out of money and work slows down until they can sell some more. I've said before, I would still buy but only from the larger developers and preferably on a development where you can see some evidence of building work going on!

IndieG Apr 18th 2007 2:11 pm

Main reasons are:

The builders didn't take into consideration the sharp increase in raw material prices (price of steel and cement more than doubled in 2006). As a result, builders are facing a severe cash flow problems - very few actually tied up any bank financing - guess they were hoping to use the advance they received from their customers. Even if they sell more apartments (like BR suggests) they will still not be able to complete the project.

BR, even so called large developers are notorious for delays - take for example - DAMAC. They are totally mismanaged. They have so many projects which haven't even gotten off ground, and they keep announcing more and more. I would never recommend DAMAC! Have just heard first hand of several bad experiences.

Yes, sometimes if the builder cannot complete, then the master developer does take it over - I know of one case.

About the Burj foundation - I think it is just a rumour. The main contractor is Samsung Corporation so it seems highly unlikely......

littlejimmy Apr 18th 2007 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by IndieGirl (Post 4660807)
Main reasons are:

The builders didn't take into consideration the sharp increase in raw material prices (price of steel and cement more than doubled in 2006). As a result, builders are facing a severe cash flow problems - very few actually tied up any bank financing - guess they were hoping to use the advance they received from their customers. Even if they sell more apartments (like BR suggests) they will still not be able to complete the project.

BR, even so called large developers are notorious for delays - take for example - DAMAC. They are totally mismanaged. They have so many projects which haven't even gotten off ground, and they keep announcing more and more. I would never recommend DAMAC! Have just heard first hand of several bad experiences.

Yes, sometimes if the builder cannot complete, then the master developer does take it over - I know of one case.

About the Burj foundation - I think it is just a rumour. The main contractor is Samsung Corporation so it seems highly unlikely......

Big companies still screw things up, especially when they're using poorly-paid and poorly-qualified labour.