Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

THE GREENS - Dubai (thoughts and reviews?) :)

THE GREENS - Dubai (thoughts and reviews?) :)

Old Mar 28th 2010, 11:55 pm
Just Joined

ellie-rose is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile THE GREENS - Dubai (thoughts and reviews?) :)

hi guys!

I'm new to this forum and My family are moving to Dubai in the Summer. I've found a lovely apartment in The Greens and it appears to look relatively nice but I'm keen to hear some reviews and opinions from people who have visited or actually live there?

Is it it clean?
What are the standards of living?
What's the pool area like / does it get busy?
Is it within easy access of the marina and city?
Does it have A/C?
What nationalities live there?

Thanks so much for the help!

x
Old Mar 29th 2010, 4:24 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: THE GREENS - Dubai (thoughts and reviews?) :)

Traffic congestion to/from Sheikh Zayed Rd off The Greens is a well publicised issue. The build quality is not the best and prices are relatively high for what you get, but if you like the apartment then go ahead.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 5:44 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Traffic congestion to/from Sheikh Zayed Rd off The Greens is a well publicised issue. The build quality is not the best and prices are relatively high for what you get, but if you like the apartment then go ahead.
no traffic issue now as bridge open and access to SZR widened. I would say go ahead. All apartments have AC, the pool areas look nice too.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 6:52 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
All apartments have AC...
I should bloody hope so! We couldn't survive May-October without AC.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 5:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ellie-

I live in Tecom so right next to the greens, its a nice area, 5 minutes to the marina and Mall of Emirates, 15 mins to Dubai mall, there's no city here that I'm aware of! Mix of nationalities around here, bit of everyone, pretty friendly ish.

Theres the market area which has a supermarket, starbucks, newsagents etc loads of places deliver if you want take away.Very easy access to Shiek Zayed Road, theres no traffic in the morning but can get a bit busy in the evening getting home, depends which way you are going, I travel against the traffic so have no problems really. Might be worth renting a place on a monthly basis if possible so you can see if you like the area.

Hope this helps

Kittycat
x
Old Mar 30th 2010, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

Razzy is just really niceRazzy is just really niceRazzy is just really niceRazzy is just really niceRazzy is just really niceRazzy is just really niceRazzy is just really niceRazzy is just really nice

Welcome Ellie Rose

I live in The Greens. To answer your questions and add some details-

Its kept beautifully clean - the landscaping is pretty and there are two lakes beside the small shopping area where you can stroll weather permitting.
There are a few small unlicensed restaurants and some licenced hotels in nearby Tecom. The Lakes Club is not so far away with a gym and a licenced bar. Over the bridge accross Sheikh Zayed Road is a Fitness First Gym and quite a few new, if small cafe's and shops.

The finish on my apartment is fine and there is definitely AC - I think you will find AC in all apartments.

The pool for me is the best thing about living there - it is temperature controlled and is a good size so you can get some proper swimming in. Its not been so busy for the past 12 months round the pool in my building. The weekends used to get a bit busy but I can't say I have ever struggled for a sunbed. There are also small gym's but the one in our building is a bit tatty. There are communal barbeque areas and a community room which I think can be hired for parties etc.
Standards of living? - I don't get what you mean? TBH - we like it and we eat well and get out now and again!

There is big mix of nationalities.
The Greens is relatively good for access to the Marina etc now, as BC has mentioned - a newly opened bridge has reduced terrible traffic trauma and opened up. Getting around in Dubai takes a bit of getting used to at first as you often have to go a fair way in the wrong direction before you can "make the U turn" to get to where you need to go.

Having said all of that I think it depends on what you are looking for - we haven't met any like minded people in The Greens, there isn't much of a sense of community IMO - if you have school age children it might be different. There are livelier areas, more vibrant areas, swankier areas, cheaper areas- a lot to choose from and Kittycat1's suggestion of try before you commit is not a bad one - for us however its ideal.

There is a greens forum http://thegreens.freeforums.org

Hope this is helpful.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 4:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Razzy
- we haven't met any like minded people in The Greens
swingers?
Old Mar 30th 2010, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

NutellaIsYummy is an unknown quantity at this point

The Greens is nice. The flats aren't anything special (ordinary finishes), but the community aspect is really nice (good landscaping, you can do all your grocery shopping and errands without getting in your car, lots of play areas for children, etc.). People of all nationalities live in the Greens, though I guess I know more westerners that live there vs. non-westerners.

Getting in/ out in the morning and evening can be a headache, though maybe the new road has helped.
Old Mar 31st 2010, 5:50 am
Forum Regular

Razzy is just really niceRazzy is just really niceRazzy is just really niceRazzy is just really niceRazzy is just really niceRazzy is just really niceRazzy is just really niceRazzy is just really nice

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
swingers?
Is that an invitation?
Old Mar 31st 2010, 6:12 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
swingers?
like that well known Belgian couple in Abu Dhabi
Old Mar 31st 2010, 6:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saudiflares
like that well known Belgian couple in Abu Dhabi
how interesting... do, or did, they live near the Sheraton on the Corniche?

I ask as when we first moved to Abu Dhabi (we live near the Sheraton) a Belgian couple were quite keen to have us come round for coffee - Mrs Millhouse joked that they were swingers!
Old Mar 31st 2010, 6:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Razzy
Is that an invitation?
Millhouse is only 7 years old.