Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Got an offer to move to Abu Dhabi, any advice on cost of living?

Got an offer to move to Abu Dhabi, any advice on cost of living?

Old Dec 15th 2008, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

Paul Eric is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Got an offer to move to Abu Dhabi, any advice on cost of living?

Good afternoon all,

I just received an offer to move to Abu Dhabi as a company director on a 50,000 dhs / month + medical insurance + school for children + flights.

I am a bit worried about the housing crisis and the huge rents I see everybody talking about.

For a family of three ( myself, my wife and my son - 4 years old ), do you reckon I would live decently on the salary offered? any chances of saving money?

How much is a 2 bedroom apartment / villa these days? I know it's a question of availability, but assuming I could find one, in a good area, what do you think the rent would be?

How about the other monthly expenses ( electricity/ water / grocery )?

I am looking for recent figures, what I found so far seems outdated.

Thank you in advance for your help, and I hope to see some of you in Abu Dhabi soon

BR,

Paul
Old Dec 15th 2008, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Got an offer to move to Abu Dhabi, any advice on cost of living?

Originally Posted by Paul Eric
Good afternoon all,

I just received an offer to move to Abu Dhabi as a company director on a 50,000 dhs / month + medical insurance + school for children + flights.

I am a bit worried about the housing crisis and the huge rents I see everybody talking about.

For a family of three ( myself, my wife and my son - 4 years old ), do you reckon I would live decently on the salary offered? any chances of saving money?

How much is a 2 bedroom apartment / villa these days? I know it's a question of availability, but assuming I could find one, in a good area, what do you think the rent would be?

How about the other monthly expenses ( electricity/ water / grocery )?

I am looking for recent figures, what I found so far seems outdated.

Thank you in advance for your help, and I hope to see some of you in Abu Dhabi soon

BR,

Paul
3 bedroom villas in Khalifa City (on the outskirts of Abu Dhabi) are currently starting at 350,000 AED per annum, 2 bed apartments are around 240,000 upwards, if you can find one....
Old Dec 15th 2008, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

outtatouch is an unknown quantity at this point

4 bedroom villa in kca are 450,000 - 4 bedrooom with pool at raha was 425,000 in october
Old Dec 15th 2008, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the quick replies.

conclusion so far is: offer seems on the low end, as I will spend a big portion of my salary on accomodation, so I might decline it.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 8:17 pm
aussie married to a brit!

chocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond repute

gee, and i thought london was expensive!!!

some friends just moved to dubai as he couldn't get a job in london, and they were shocked (despite doing research) that things were so much more expensive than the books said they would be...
Old Dec 15th 2008, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah, after reading the threads their offer looks like a joke... 600k/ year excluding bonus...
Old Dec 16th 2008, 1:26 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Not being funny mate but for a director that 50000aed a month is average even if they provide housing on top. The fact you seem to have to fund your own housing on top of this is a joke.

Tell them to poke it
Old Dec 16th 2008, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

Thanks commander, that's what I intend to do

What would be a good salary for a company Director in Abu Dhabi?
Old Dec 16th 2008, 3:48 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks commander, that's what I intend to do

What would be a good salary for a company Director in Abu Dhabi?
75-120k aed per month is paid to various here, not an outrageous ask.

Plus all accomm, schooling, car costs and usual benefits.

Get them to sort out your villa, as ABD is really a tough find - particularly for a Newbie, and that will ensure that you don't pay for anything to do with it.

Of course it does depend on what your industry is and how difficult it is to find the management experience.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 3:51 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by admon
75-120k aed per month is paid to various here, not an outrageous ask.

Plus all accomm, schooling, car costs and usual benefits.

Get them to sort out your villa, as ABD is really a tough find - particularly for a Newbie, and that will ensure that you don't pay for anything to do with it.

Of course it does depend on what your industry is and how difficult it is to find the management experience.
75 - 120k, just on salary....you have got to be kidding...
Old Dec 16th 2008, 3:59 am
Forum Regular

Thanks admon,70-80K is pretty much what I was expecting.

Industry is telecom and in terms of experience, I am pretty much one of the best you can get for the role ( I know it doesn't sound very modest )
Old Dec 16th 2008, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks admon,70-80K is pretty much what I was expecting.

Industry is telecom and in terms of experience, I am pretty much one of the best you can get for the role ( I know it doesn't sound very modest )
I know of someone that was brought over from Singapore a couple of years ago that was managing a co for building antenna design and he was on 120k then, if that helps.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info admon, really helpful.

I doubt I can raise the offer to this level, considering the initial low offer

I know in arab countries negotiation is key, but it seems like a big gap betwwen what I want and what they are offering at the moment..
Old Dec 16th 2008, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

Foxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really niceFoxes is just really nice

Ask your prospective employer for them arrange suitable accomodation for you - let them know you are aware of the poor housing supply and extortionate costs in AD. Their response will guide you a long way to seeing if they are a reputable orgainsation who look after staff.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Foxes, I just done that, waiting for their reply. I think they just threw an offer and hoped I would take it.Can't blame them for trying

I am grateful for the info all of you provided which helped me evaluate the offer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.