Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Got My Saudi Work Visa

Got My Saudi Work Visa

Old Sep 19th 2009, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Desert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really nice
Default Got My Saudi Work Visa

After working on a Business visa for 2 months, I returned back to the UK to obtain my work visa.

After going through medicals etc... I now have the Work Visa it in my passport and due to fly out next week. Does anyone know how long it takes to get an Iqama after arriving in Saudi?

Thanks.
Old Sep 19th 2009, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

alexxhiee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Got My Saudi Work Visa

Originally Posted by Desert Shaikh
After working on a Business visa for 2 months, I returned back to the UK to obtain my work visa.

After going through medicals etc... I now have the Work Visa it in my passport and due to fly out next week. Does anyone know how long it takes to get an Iqama after arriving in Saudi?

Thanks.
dont ask really .. saudi's are pretty slow and stupid .... they can do it in 1 day or they can extend it to 1 year
Old Sep 20th 2009, 4:36 am
Forum Regular

rdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nicerdan0209 is just really nice

Thanks.
Should be about 3-4 weeks.
Old Sep 20th 2009, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

that's a bit of a sweeping statement . . .

N
Old Sep 20th 2009, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, average is around two weeks. Once you get that, you're laughing really, as you then get all the things you might need - driving licence, bank account etc.

Depends though also on how quickly your employer processes it.

I have to disagree though, haven't found the Saudi's slow or stupid in my experience so far, but as you have already been here for stint, you will be able to draw your own conclusions.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Desert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really niceDesert Shaikh is just really nice

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
Yeah, average is around two weeks. Once you get that, you're laughing really, as you then get all the things you might need - driving licence, bank account etc.

Depends though also on how quickly your employer processes it.

I have to disagree though, haven't found the Saudi's slow or stupid in my experience so far, but as you have already been here for stint, you will be able to draw your own conclusions.
Two weeks seems plausible, I cant wait to get a car though, it will make me feel more indepenent. But trying to survive the Riyadh road madness is another story.

I also agree with you, the Saudi do seem quite switched on and do tend to be experienced in their lines of work, whatever they may be.

But life is very very lonely in Riyadh, as I dont live on a compound.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nic1
that's a bit of a sweeping statement . . .

N
What has been your experience in getting it? I take it you are in Saudi?
Old Sep 21st 2009, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Two weeks seems plausible, I cant wait to get a car though, it will make me feel more indepenent. But trying to survive the Riyadh road madness is another story.

I also agree with you, the Saudi do seem quite switched on and do tend to be experienced in their lines of work, whatever they may be.

But life is very very lonely in Riyadh, as I dont live on a compound.
Yes, Iqama then driving licence. If your broker is ok, he can take you down to the Driving Licence Centre in Riyadh and you should be able to get it the same day, might have to sir around for an hour or so, but at least you can walk away with one.

Are you looking to buy new or used? Sadly, as Ramadan has just finished, a lot of the car dealers were offering some good deal on new cars. Used is a different story, its as it is anywhere else really, you need to be a bit clued up and switched on. Ideally, buy from another expat. The term 'Service History' as such doesn't exist out here - some motors have been thrashed, some quite well looked after.

Good luck.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Are you looking to buy new or used? Sadly, as Ramadan has just finished, a lot of the car dealers were offering some good deal on new cars. Used is a different story, its as it is anywhere else really, you need to be a bit clued up and switched on. Ideally, buy from another expat. The term 'Service History' as such doesn't exist out here - some motors have been thrashed, some quite well looked after.
Good luck.
I was thinking of buying used, somthing like a Range Rover Sport or BMW 5 Series. Finding one is another story. Any tips? I guess I could take a mechanic with me to check it out before I do buy. Are the cars cheaper in Dubai than Saudi.
Old Sep 21st 2009, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

I was thinking of buying used, somthing like a Range Rover Sport or BMW 5 Series. Finding one is another story. Any tips? I guess I could take a mechanic with me to check it out before I do buy. Are the cars cheaper in Dubai than Saudi.
No idea on the price comparison.

THere are BMW dealerships, no doubt you have spotted around your travels in Riyadh, and they will have a range of used approved cars. Range / Land Rovers although popular with the Brit expats, are only few and far between owned by the Saudi's, their spare parts tend to be even more expensive.

I think I know of someone selling a 2006 X5?
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

What has been your experience in getting it? I take it you are in Saudi?
Just left after two years, have Saudi friends and husband has Saudi colleagues who are hugely switched on, intelligent, educated people. There are good and bad all over the world, but to be honest the worst I met in Saudi were Western ex-pats. JMO

N
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Nic1
Just left after two years, have Saudi friends and husband has Saudi colleagues who are hugely switched on, intelligent, educated people. There are good and bad all over the world, but to be honest the worst I met in Saudi were Western ex-pats. JMO

N
Exactly.

The only 'attitude' I've ever come across in the year and a half I've been here, has been from predominantly UK expats. For some reason, they seem to think they have a point to prove, and behave in a most peculiar fashion - it's kind of odd to think that with that attitude they would never hold down a job back home - maybe that's why they're here?
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Exactly.

The only 'attitude' I've ever come across in the year and a half I've been here, has been from predominantly UK expats. For some reason, they seem to think they have a point to prove, and behave in a most peculiar fashion - it's kind of odd to think that with that attitude they would never hold down a job back home - maybe that's why they're here?
That is so true, one thing I have noticed is that provided you respect their culture and traditions they will respect you and will go the extra mile.

As you mentioned that some of the UK Expats have a bad attitude at work and still get away with it. Would that be they get away with it because they are UK Expats?
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

That is so true, one thing I have noticed is that provided you respect their culture and traditions they will respect you and will go the extra mile.

As you mentioned that some of the UK Expats have a bad attitude at work and still get away with it. Would that be they get away with it because they are UK Expats?
Again, from personal experience, I've observed the UK Expats being snotty and power hungry only with other expats. When it comes to dealing with the Saudi's, their attitude changes and becomes downright brown nosing. We all know that one click of a finger and we can be on the next flight home, so it kind of gives those morons ammunition to vent their frustration at other expats, and not the Saudi's.

Anyway, enough of the amateur psychology...
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

and of course if you get really really pissed off you can always take it out on the maid . . .

N