British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Got a job offer in Dubai - HELP !!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/got-job-offer-dubai-help-530971/)

MAKD Apr 21st 2008 11:41 am

Got a job offer in Dubai - HELP !!!

I have been offered a job in Dubai for only £2k per month plus commission selling real estates. The offer has no other benefits. I was told i should earn a min of £3k commission a month. Obviously my concerns are accomodation, commuting. The office is based on Seikh Zayed Road. can anyone offer any words of advice?? I have been given a week to come back to them, please help:unsure:

Chris79 Apr 21st 2008 11:48 am

Re: Got a job offer in Dubai - HELP !!!

Originally Posted by MAKD (Post 6242158)
I have been offered a job in Dubai for only £2k per month plus commission selling real estates. The offer has no other benefits. I was told i should earn a min of £3k commission a month. Obviously my concerns are accomodation, commuting. The office is based on Seikh Zayed Road. can anyone offer any words of advice?? I have been given a week to come back to them, please help:unsure:

So...... there is no relocation money, no housing allowance? Tell them to shove it if thats the case!

MAKD Apr 21st 2008 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Chris79 (Post 6242178)
So...... there is no relocation money, no housing allowance? Tell them to shove it if thats the case!

is it not worth just for the experience? I am a Financial Advisor but the markets in the uk are not good hense looking to try something new. what do u do in Abu Dhabi?

Spugsy Apr 21st 2008 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by MAKD (Post 6242158)

thats not loads, and out here to rent a place you need to pay the whole lot upfront in one go, we had to pay almost £17k, so you need a housing allowance definately.

I would keep looking mate, sounds too risky to me.

Do they not even pay for your flights over here?

Chris79 Apr 21st 2008 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by MAKD (Post 6242225)
is it not worth just for the experience? I am a Financial Advisor but the markets in the uk are not good hense looking to try something new. what do u do in Abu Dhabi?

I'm a civil engineer working on the Runway Project.
Sorry, I didn't want to sound harsh but you will really struggle on that arrangement. The house prices to rent out here are very high at the moment and then you have to sort out travel while here not to mention kitting out your house etc.
I'd look into the offer a bit more. Surely they will provide you with some more than just a salary? Even if you manage 5k a month it will be a struggle to get everything over here.
Just so you know what to look for:
housing allowance, car allowance, medical expenses/insurance, relocation fees (not everyone gets this - I didn't), flights home (normally once a year)

Good Luck bud :thumbup:

Inselaffen Apr 21st 2008 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 6242263)
thats not loads, and out here to rent a place you need to pay the whole lot upfront in one go, we had to pay almost £17k, so you need a housing allowance definately.

I would keep looking mate, sounds too risky to me.

Do they not even pay for your flights over here?

they could always go down the shared housing route. plenty available on monthly payment terms

Spugsy Apr 21st 2008 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Chris79 (Post 6242270)
I'm a civil engineer working on the Runway Project.
Sorry, I didn't want to sound harsh but you will really struggle on that arrangement. The house prices to rent out here are very high at the moment and then you have to sort out travel while here not to mention kitting out your house etc.
I'd look into the offer a bit more. Surely they will provide you with some more than just a salary? Even if you manage 5k a month it will be a struggle to get everything over here.
Just so you know what to look for:
housing allowance, car allowance, medical expenses/insurance, relocation fees (not everyone gets this - I didn't), flights home (normally once a year)

Good Luck bud :thumbup:

"Even if you manage 5k a month it will be a struggle to get everything over here."

Jesus where do you live? In a palace?

Chris79 Apr 21st 2008 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 6242278)
"Even if you manage 5k a month it will be a struggle to get everything over here."

I mean to be able to kit everything out from the very start. Once your settled and got your car and house your ok. It's a bloody good wage then

MAKD Apr 21st 2008 12:23 pm

Thanks Chris, i am seeing the CEO tomorrow to tell him about my findings of the place and see if they will change the offer. Thanks for your help, i see you from Preston, i am based in Bolton, i currently run my own business with 8 mortgage advisor's and as the markets are down and will be for the next year and half hence i am thinking of a change. Speak to you soon, thanks again.

Spugsy Apr 21st 2008 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Chris79 (Post 6242283)
I mean to be able to kit everything out from the very start. Once your settled and got your car and house your ok. It's a bloody good wage then

ah right, I don't drive but we've managed to fill the house after spending about dir 35,000, I guess a car on top wouldbe a lot more.

Chris79 Apr 21st 2008 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 6242309)
ah right, I don't drive but we've managed to fill the house after spending about dir 35,000, I guess a car on top wouldbe a lot more.

But you got your housing allowance etc?
I think it would be virtually impossible to try and set up from scratch with no financial help unless you had a nice little nestegg of your own.

Chris79 Apr 21st 2008 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by MAKD (Post 6242307)
Thanks Chris, i am seeing the CEO tomorrow to tell him about my findings of the place and see if they will change the offer. Thanks for your help, i see you from Preston, i am based in Bolton, i currently run my own business with 8 mortgage advisor's and as the markets are down and will be for the next year and half hence i am thinking of a change. Speak to you soon, thanks again.

Nice one bud, just down the road from me! Bring some greggs pasty's and some butter pies out for me! lol
Let us know how you get on :thumbup:

Spugsy Apr 21st 2008 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by Chris79 (Post 6242315)
But you got your housing allowance etc?
I think it would be virtually impossible to try and set up from scratch with no financial help unless you had a nice little nestegg of your own.

yeah we both got it, otherwise we'd be living in a box somewhere.

MAKD Apr 21st 2008 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by Chris79 (Post 6242324)
Nice one bud, just down the road from me! Bring some greggs pasty's and some butter pies out for me! lol
Let us know how you get on :thumbup:

i certainly would do if i am allowed to. please keep in touch +7957 267 091 take care and thanks for the advice

MAKD Apr 21st 2008 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 6242278)

Thanks for your comments and help.