Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Goodbye Bahrain (bugger off Saudi!) - Hello Dubai!

Goodbye Bahrain (bugger off Saudi!) - Hello Dubai!

Old Jul 8th 2011, 6:07 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Goodbye Bahrain (bugger off Saudi!) - Hello Dubai!

Over the last 2 years I have spent an incredible number of hours on the Bahrain-Saudi Causeway, and after the excitement in Bahrain earlier this year we decided that it was time to make a move. So Dubai it is!!

My wife and two kids (my daughter is 5 months old and my son is 4 years old) will go back to the UK for the summer this coming weekend and when they return to Bahrain it will only be to grab a connecting flight to Dubai. Excitement all round for everyone of course, but also some concerns and things to sort out.

Where to live?

I will be working in Al Quoz (very close to MOE) so my thinking is that we have a lot of options. We have a huge villa with a nice garden and loads of other kids here in Bahrain, so of course we are leaning towards something similar, but we are not completely ruling out a flat somewhere as long as it has decent facilities and a good sized outside space. Initially we'll be staying in accommodation paid for by the company. Still not finalised where exactly, but I'm assuming it will be relatively close to the office. If the hunt for accommodation takes more than a month we'll likely extend this stay by paying ourselves.

I'm thinking Arabian Ranches, Springs/Meadows (although I've seen a lot of comments that it is getting a bit tired), Al Barsha or even Jumeirah, but I'm actually clueless. There is so much conflicting information about these places. My budget is max 140 (not including DEWA and tax), but obviously I would prefer to pay less. We need minimum 3 bedrooms + maid room. To be honest I'm not terribly worried about the housing situation as I know there is plenty out there on the market, but some good advice from you my fellow bored members would be appreciated.

Schools

What a nightmare schools are in Dubai. My son has just completed FS1 at St Chris in Bahrain. Getting him into FS2 in Dubai seems to be quite the challenge. We've tried the usual suspects, but they're all saying that the waiting lists are either massive or closed until they open up in early September so they can see how many kids have dropped out over the summer. Bizarre system really, but what can you do. In Bahrain they make you pay the fee for next years first term before the year finishes so therefore they know student numbers early. Anyway..it doesn't matter! We got him on the waiting list at the new Gems school in Silicon Oasis and even though there are 20 kids on the waiting list that could easily work, but I'm not comfortable about the situation.

We considered nurseries as some of them do the foundation stage, but it looks like the ones that do this actually only do FS1 so not really an option unless we effectively hold him back a year. If you do know of a nursery that does FS2 please tell me. Alternatively it will be home schooling, but this will not go well I don't think especially since he will miss the whole social aspect of going to school if staying at home with his mum every day..Poor boy!

So if anyone has any pointers, advice or inside tips for getting him into a school I would really be grateful. Has to be UK curriculum by the way..
Old Jul 8th 2011, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Goodbye Bahrain (bugger off Saudi!) - Hello Dubai!

Congratulations. Good luck with the move. I am hoping to leave this place soon as well.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 6:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by norsk
Over the last 2 years I have spent an incredible number of hours on the Bahrain-Saudi Causeway, and after the excitement in Bahrain earlier this year we decided that it was time to make a move. So Dubai it is!!

My wife and two kids (my daughter is 5 months old and my son is 4 years old) will go back to the UK for the summer this coming weekend and when they return to Bahrain it will only be to grab a connecting flight to Dubai. Excitement all round for everyone of course, but also some concerns and things to sort out.

Where to live?

I will be working in Al Quoz (very close to MOE) so my thinking is that we have a lot of options. We have a huge villa with a nice garden and loads of other kids here in Bahrain, so of course we are leaning towards something similar, but we are not completely ruling out a flat somewhere as long as it has decent facilities and a good sized outside space. Initially we'll be staying in accommodation paid for by the company. Still not finalised where exactly, but I'm assuming it will be relatively close to the office. If the hunt for accommodation takes more than a month we'll likely extend this stay by paying ourselves.

I'm thinking Arabian Ranches, Springs/Meadows (although I've seen a lot of comments that it is getting a bit tired), Al Barsha or even Jumeirah, but I'm actually clueless. There is so much conflicting information about these places. My budget is max 140 (not including DEWA and tax), but obviously I would prefer to pay less. We need minimum 3 bedrooms + maid room. To be honest I'm not terribly worried about the housing situation as I know there is plenty out there on the market, but some good advice from you my fellow bored members would be appreciated.

Schools

What a nightmare schools are in Dubai. My son has just completed FS1 at St Chris in Bahrain. Getting him into FS2 in Dubai seems to be quite the challenge. We've tried the usual suspects, but they're all saying that the waiting lists are either massive or closed until they open up in early September so they can see how many kids have dropped out over the summer. Bizarre system really, but what can you do. In Bahrain they make you pay the fee for next years first term before the year finishes so therefore they know student numbers early. Anyway..it doesn't matter! We got him on the waiting list at the new Gems school in Silicon Oasis and even though there are 20 kids on the waiting list that could easily work, but I'm not comfortable about the situation.

We considered nurseries as some of them do the foundation stage, but it looks like the ones that do this actually only do FS1 so not really an option unless we effectively hold him back a year. If you do know of a nursery that does FS2 please tell me. Alternatively it will be home schooling, but this will not go well I don't think especially since he will miss the whole social aspect of going to school if staying at home with his mum every day..Poor boy!

So if anyone has any pointers, advice or inside tips for getting him into a school I would really be grateful. Has to be UK curriculum by the way..
You'll be working in Al Quoz??

You need to be living in a labour camp............
Old Jul 8th 2011, 6:54 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
You'll be working in Al Quoz??

You need to be living in a labour camp............
Funny! It's more or less on SZR mate..
Old Jul 8th 2011, 9:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

al reem - arabian ranches

No contest really.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

scottrace is an unknown quantity at this point

Norsk

Good luck with your move and sorry we wont get to thank you properly (with a few beers) for all your help when we arrive in Bahrain after the summer.

Does that mean there will be a lovely family home empty on your compound!!!
Old Jul 9th 2011, 7:57 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

Originally Posted by Millhouse
al reem - arabian ranches

No contest really.
I've seen there are loads of houses being offered in Al Reem, so that is definitely an option. I see them on dubizzle from 115 - 135K, but there was someone who said they agreed 103K so what do you consider the actual market price?
Old Jul 9th 2011, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

sherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud ofsherri has much to be proud of

I've seen there are loads of houses being offered in Al Reem, so that is definitely an option. I see them on dubizzle from 115 - 135K, but there was someone who said they agreed 103K so what do you consider the actual market price?
In my view, there is no such thing as market price. The ‘actual price’ is based on what the Punter is willing to pay so each case is distinct in its own right. I was successful in my negotiation because I measured the break-points, my own based on common sense rather than affordability and the landlord’s through discussion.

There are many factors but try these first:

Week1:
a) Shortlist properties, go and checkout the place. Once you know the prospective property then make an offer, 45% less than the asking price.

Week 2:
b) Ask your wife to phone the agent/landlord and do a general enquiry and the next day make an offer this time 35% less

c) Now ask a few friends to do the same, at 40%, 35%, 34%.

d) Call the agent and ask him about your offer, he will tell you the usual garbage e.g. offer rejected, too low etc etc. Give him your final offer between 25-30% less (break-point rule!) and say to him that you are standing outside his office with deposit and agent fee in cash and rent in cheques –If he still doesn’t accept the offer then do what I did previously move on to the next one or pay “according to the market price!!!!!!”

Hope above makes sense.

BTW Good luck with your move

Last edited by sherri; Jul 9th 2011 at 8:56 am.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottrace
Norsk

Good luck with your move and sorry we wont get to thank you properly (with a few beers) for all your help when we arrive in Bahrain after the summer.

Does that mean there will be a lovely family home empty on your compound!!!
Likewise, cheers for all your help Norsk and well done on getting yourself fixed up. But don't tell me that you won't miss the Saudi causeway and the happy go lucky atmosphere of Al Khobar....

Are you transferring or is this a new company altogether?

Hope we can all grab a beer before you leave.....
Old Jul 9th 2011, 9:06 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

Originally Posted by Ronnie Biggs
Likewise, cheers for all your help Norsk and well done on getting yourself fixed up. But don't tell me that you won't miss the Saudi causeway and the happy go lucky atmosphere of Al Khobar....

Are you transferring or is this a new company altogether?

Hope we can all grab a beer before you leave.....
I will miss Saudi like a tumour which has been successfully removed. New company. That's part of the relief factor

I will start a thread relating to going out for beers before Ramadan..
Old Jul 9th 2011, 9:08 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

Originally Posted by sherri
In my view, there is no such thing as market price. The ‘actual price’ is based on what the Punter is willing to pay so each case is distinct in its own right. I was successful in my negotiation because I measured the break-points, my own based on common sense rather than affordability and the landlord’s through discussion.

There are many factors but try these first:

Week1:
a) Shortlist properties, go and checkout the place. Once you know the prospective property then make an offer, 45% less than the asking price.

Week 2:
b) Ask your wife to phone the agent/landlord and do a general enquiry and the next day make an offer this time 35% less

c) Now ask a few friends to do the same, at 40%, 35%, 34%.

d) Call the agent and ask him about your offer, he will tell you the usual garbage e.g. offer rejected, too low etc etc. Give him your final offer between 25-30% less (break-point rule!) and say to him that you are standing outside his office with deposit and agent fee in cash and rent in cheques –If he still doesn’t accept the offer then do what I did previously move on to the next one or pay “according to the market price!!!!!!”

Hope above makes sense.

BTW Good luck with your move
That sounds like a lot of stress for a few quid saved, but thanks for sharing..
Old Jul 9th 2011, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

Work Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really niceWork Widow is just really nice

Oh no, I can hardly believe this - Norsk, you were one of the credible contributors on this forum. It has been your posts regarding Bahrain which encouraged us to consider relocating, albeit that things over there still seem somewhat "messed up".

Now this has almost confirmed that Bahrain may be lost to us.

You mirrored exactly what we were considering - the commute to/from Khobar & Bahrain......whatever shall we do now????

It doesn't look like things are going to settle down and they're probably going to get worse (mind you all things have the potential to do that) anyway we're still biding our time and keeping a watch on things - me and the kids in sunny Oz and my hubby in sunnier Khobar. I do have other sources of local Bahrain info upon which to rely, but I enjoyed reading yours the most.

Despite not posting all that often, I avidly read this forum daily to get an idea of the sort of life we could be taking on. Our children are much older than yours but as every parent knows life is thwart with perils for your kids and above all else you need to be confident of their safety and security.

Whinge over now .....congrats on your new position and all the best for your future in Dubai.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 9:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds like a lot of stress for a few quid saved, but thanks for sharing..
I did something similar when I bought a house - it does work. I couldn't do it now though ... Too much whining if we don't get it.

140k should get you a 2e/m on the lake or a 1e/m (a bit bigger) in the middle. I pay 160k for a 1e on the lake - as a guide they are on dubizzle at 170-180k.

E villas are end of row or semis, m villas are mid row.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Ag Norsky,

rats and sinking ships hey lmao. Good move though matey and good luck. No more causeway for you

There are 3 villas available on Compound Norsky excluding Norsky's which I reckon is one of the best due to the size of the garden. He will even throw in his maid if you are quick enough.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 9:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

All the villas are different. Some are 3beds without maid (3m) some have a maids room,some a study(type2), some both (2e,1m,1e). Despite them all looking the same inside there are small differences.

I somehow suspect you will end up using all of your 140k if you want a larger one with a maid as you will probably go for one with a study (aka downstairs playroom) too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.