Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Is it a good time to move to the ME?

Is it a good time to move to the ME?

Old Jul 2nd 2018, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

123Soleil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is it a good time to move to the ME?

Hello all,

Long time lurker, first time poster I I am currently living in Canada and i am thinking of moving to Dubai this time next year and wanted to have the thoughts of people living there currently. How's the economy doing? I work in HR, how's the job market? Any insight will be appreciated.
Old Jul 3rd 2018, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it a good time to move to the ME?

The economy is in recession.

More to the point however it is not a PR system like in Canada. What the UAE calls a "residence visa" is actually just a term-defined work visa. You need an employment offer/contract first before you can move to Dubai.

If you have a contract you are happy with (you should be aiming for 30-40% more than you make in Canada), no issues to move there.

That salary target is harder and harder to reach, at least in my field (and several others). Don't know about HR.
Old Jul 3rd 2018, 5:16 am
BE Enthusiast

reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou

More to the point however it is not a PR system like in Canada. What the UAE calls a "residence visa" is actually just a term-defined work visa. You need an employment offer/contract first before you can move to Dubai.

If you have a contract you are happy with (you should be aiming for 30-40% more than you make in Canada), no issues to move there.

That salary target is harder and harder to reach, at least in my field (and several others). Don't know about HR.
HR roles are very far and few between and most of the roles i do get are for Arabic speakers with Middle Eastern experience
You will be competing with many nationalities, at all different levels who currently reside here. I have a lot of UAE based applicants looking as they are either being made redundant or are going to be. It is a tough market to penetrate
Old Jul 3rd 2018, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Maxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou

The "experts" beg to differ

https://www.thenational.ae/business/...s-nbd-1.738886

"Non-oil sector conditions also improved at the fastest rate in 13 months in May, with the wholesale and retail and travel and tourism sectors driving the momentum, according to the index.

“Positive sentiment towards future growth prospects reached a series-record high in May,” Emirates NBD said in a statement on Monday. “New project wins, Expo 2020 and forecasts of robust demand underpinned business confidence.”
Old Jul 3rd 2018, 9:06 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maxima
The "experts" beg to differ

https://www.thenational.ae/business/...s-nbd-1.738886

"Non-oil sector conditions also improved at the fastest rate in 13 months in May, with the wholesale and retail and travel and tourism sectors driving the momentum, according to the index.

“Positive sentiment towards future growth prospects reached a series-record high in May,” Emirates NBD said in a statement on Monday. “New project wins, Expo 2020 and forecasts of robust demand underpinned business confidence.”
Well, an ex is a has been and a spurt is a drip under pressure...

Remind me, whats the penalty from the Maktoums for a newspaper printing depressing economic news?

Old Jul 4th 2018, 7:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

ENBD Shareholder list:

Dubai Government: 55.76%
Capital Assets LLC: 5.33%
Old Jul 4th 2018, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit this question comes up yearly and the answer is always no and yet the place keeps getting bigger and bigger.

There are western HR managers and directors and even junior clerks. But others are right, the sector is largely dominated by Arab and Indian expats who operate mafias of their own. As with many roles in Dubai, if you keep applying and are patient, odds are something will come up. It may take a month, it may take three years.
Old Jul 5th 2018, 5:11 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

We have several westerners in our HR 'team'....

HR - it must be nice to dictate your own package and perks.... ours certainly take advantage of the opportunity and lord it over the work force like they're something special.
Old Jul 8th 2018, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the responses, it certainly helps. I've contacted a few recruitment agencies in Dubai but so far there's been no replies. Is this the right approach to look for jobs? i am also using LinkedIn and applying or jobs directly. I will also use LinkedIn to network and see if that works. Are there any other ways that you guys would recommend for networking?

I was always under the impression that having a western passport would help, doesnt look that easy now if im honest, but i'll keep on trying!
Old Jul 9th 2018, 6:33 am
BE Enthusiast

reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 123Soleil
Thanks for all the responses, it certainly helps. I've contacted a few recruitment agencies in Dubai but so far there's been no replies. Is this the right approach to look for jobs? i am also using LinkedIn and applying or jobs directly. I will also use LinkedIn to network and see if that works. Are there any other ways that you guys would recommend for networking?

I was always under the impression that having a western passport would help, doesnt look that easy now if im honest, but i'll keep on trying!

Recruiters will only respond if they have a role. Linked in is a good tool, however if you see roles advertised there try and find out who is the hiring manager as thousands will respond to the ads and not all recruiters screen every candidate
Please bear in mind that it is the Summer and things will be quiet for the next few months. In my opinion holding a Western passport for HR roles is no longer an asset as there are equally qualified nationals who will take less salaries. Most of the HR Managers i work with now are not Western

Last edited by reddiva; Jul 9th 2018 at 6:35 am.
Old Jul 9th 2018, 7:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

The irony of an HR person asking how to find a job. Most advice is always to try and cut HR out of the process where possible.
Old Jul 9th 2018, 7:51 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

We used to call HR the employment prevention dept, and that’s when I was the hiring manager...

In a vast global shipping firm, the danish HR had a ‘test’ to prove people would fit in, people would fail or pass after the real interview but hiring managers only ever saw a yes or no, out of 400 people in London we had one black person, and she was the career PA of a director...
Old Jul 23rd 2018, 10:41 am
Banned

Raniyah is an unknown quantity at this point

I must ask one question. Why are you moving here, like most of the people like me wanted to go to Canada

Anyways jokes apart, if you are planning to come here in Dubai, first find a good job. There are many job portals like dubizzle, indeed.ae, naukrigulf.com, bayt etc. Check jobs on them and start applying.
Old Jul 29th 2018, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Raniyah
I must ask one question. Why are you moving here, like most of the people like me wanted to go to Canada

Anyways jokes apart, if you are planning to come here in Dubai, first find a good job. There are many job portals like dubizzle, indeed.ae, naukrigulf.com, bayt etc. Check jobs on them and start applying.
Fancy a change to be honest. Sick and bored of the winters here.Will look into these job boards, so far no luck in my search.
Old Jul 30th 2018, 6:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 123Soleil
Fancy a change to be honest. Sick and bored of the winters here.Will look into these job boards, so far no luck in my search.
Try Gulf Talent and linked in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.