Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Is this a good job offer in Qatar?

Is this a good job offer in Qatar?

Old Sep 6th 2011, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

B-family is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is this a good job offer in Qatar?

Hello

I am in discussions with a recruitment consultant about an Architectural job on a large scale Hospital project in Qatar. The position is at project Director level and the salary is 50,000 dho a month. The recruitment consultant has said that this is a good salary and we will be able to have a very comfortable life style.

My personal circumstances are that I have a wife and two young sons who are 2 & 5 years old. My wife is expecting our next child and we would all be looking to move out there. By the time we move my wife would still be pregnant.

I would be grateful for any comments on the following:

Is the salary ok, or do you think there is room for manoeuvre?
Which is the best school for our 5 year old and what chance would we have of getting him in there?
What is the healthcare provision like for a pregnant woman?
How much does it cost to rent a 3/4 bedroom villa in a nice compound?

Thanks all for taking the time to read and respond to this.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Is this a good job offer in Qatar?

Pardon my ignorance, but what is dho?
Old Sep 7th 2011, 5:52 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by B-family
Hello

I am in discussions with a recruitment consultant about an Architectural job on a large scale Hospital project in Qatar. The position is at project Director level and the salary is 50,000 dho a month. The recruitment consultant has said that this is a good salary and we will be able to have a very comfortable life style.

My personal circumstances are that I have a wife and two young sons who are 2 & 5 years old. My wife is expecting our next child and we would all be looking to move out there. By the time we move my wife would still be pregnant.

Which is the best school for our 5 year old and what chance would we have of getting him in there?

First of all i presume it's 50,000 QAR ? A couple of points which are relevant are.

Is the 50,000 an all in monthly payment that covers all your costs ? Remember the recruitment consultants view on a comfortable lifestyle could mean not waking up to vomit on the carpet. He will tell you almost anything to nail the deal , even more if it's your first overseas post .

Qatar is expensive , dull , boring and pain in the arse , you need to be very well compensated to live and work here , it is not Dubai and it's not a playground by any means.

A good standard 4 / 5 Bedroom Villa will cost you 13-20,000 QAR Per month with 1500 QAR on utilities including internet. You need to take into consideration transport , flights , schooling . Remember the average trip home will cost your family around 10-12,000QAR with Qatar Airways.

At Director level i would expect the deal to be broken down into the specifics as benefits would be a major plus at your level.
I suspect the consultant is throwing a figure in an expecting a quick bite.

It seems a bit light to me , tell him the deals on the conservative side as living costs in Qatar are some of the highest in The Gulf , schooling here is astronomical and it will swallow your money.

http://www.dohabritishschool.com/ will give you some advice and fee information , it's a good starting point.

Good luck and don't under sell yourself , remember your not moving to Vegas !
Old Sep 7th 2011, 6:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all

Hello

Assuming 50,000 is "all-in" figure, for a director level position on a major project - definitely too low.

If Housing, schooling, flights, medical, etc on top then it is a good salary.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

B-family is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks all for the useful advice. And yes, it was supposed to be QAR not dho… not sure where I got those three random letters from.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks all for the useful advice. And yes, it was supposed to be QAR not dho… not sure where I got those three random letters from.
Sounds like Sidrah Hospital to me! - The one that has been redesigned at least six times during construction! - Good Luck!