Golf

Old May 3rd 2013, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

ColinAD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Golf

Hi all,

Was wondering if there are many people who have memberships at any of the AD courses. I'm moving over in around 2 weeks and would like to get a heads up before potentially joining myself. Prices would be good?! Also if you get introduced are there discounts?

Yas Island links looks nice

Anyway thanks in advance

Colin
Old May 3rd 2013, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Golf

Yas Links, Saadiyat Beach and Abu Dhabi Golf Club are all top notch. Also worth considering City Golf Club (used to be called Equestrian) on the island. Or if you want to go old school there's a sand course next to the airport called Al Ghazal.

There's a few good regional golf magazines that are usually free at golf clubs (maybe even at the airport) which list all the local scene clubs/medal results etc.
Old May 3rd 2013, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Saudi for the info!

Would like to check most of the courses out If I'm honest. Have been told though that membership is extortionate. But will check out the free magazines are see if it gives me more of an insight.

Perhaps even push myself into some comps
Old May 9th 2013, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

MaserMan is an unknown quantity at this point

Membership is cheaper in AD compared to Dubai, saying that it is not cheap.
Old May 9th 2013, 7:58 am
Just Joined

Hi maser,

Well I worked it out as like £5-7k a year that's ridiculous!so think I will end up paying as I play as I can't guarantee I will be around each week due to work.

Colin
Old May 9th 2013, 9:35 am
Just Joined

GB1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

For paying as you play especially at a weekend, you would be looking at around AED900 per round so say 150 GBP. Extortionate yes anyway of avoiding it no unless you befriend a member of a course and get him to get you members guest rates which in Dubai are generally somewhat cheaper.

Can always join the EGF (Emirates Golf Federation) which gets you slightly cheaper rates but only saves 10 - 15% or buy the Entertainer book, some buy on get one free vouchers for courses in Abu Dhabi.

Id say the best thing to do would be to make use of one of the Summer memberships providing you don't mind playing golf in what can only be described as a stupidly hot oven. they are generally around AED4k and that will give you golf usually from 1st June til mid October.
Old May 9th 2013, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

MaserMan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ColinAD
Hi maser,

Well I worked it out as like £5-7k a year that's ridiculous!so think I will end up paying as I play as I can't guarantee I will be around each week due to work.

Colin
The cost of Doha is GBP5K but if you play regularly it can be worth it. One guy I played golf with recently was paying GBP8K for his club in Dubai.

The suggestions from GB1982 are your only other options.

A tip is to stop thinking in pounds