Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Going MENTAL in Riyadh!

Going MENTAL in Riyadh!

Old Oct 28th 2009, 9:07 am
Ray

Ray Ray-london is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Going MENTAL in Riyadh!

Hi to anyone who reads this thread! I am new to this site and fairly new to this country!

I am 32yr old british born muslim who got married recently and moved out here because my husband's job is here!

I have been trying ever so hard to make friends but its virtually impossible, so have been drowning myself in daytime t.v which has rerun's from when I first came here in Dec 08.

I dont work, why because till now they refused my Iquama, an I keep getting visiting visa's, I now am convincing my husband to come back with me to london, which is proving hard to be because he has a wonderful package here that uk could probably not offer him there.

So I'm stuck! and very unhappy! I want to meet british people from back home who might understand me, I miss having someone to meet for a coffee or shopping actually sick of that now! well anything...well no not anything to those of you who might take that the wrong way, firstly I think writing such a long thread proves how bored I am!

So if theres anyone out there, I'm guessing it would have to be a female as I cant meet a strange man out....wooooo!

Thanks!!!!!

Sorry I realised I really did go on about how bored I am, what I forgot to mention I usually am not a reclose, I'm very outgoing, social, I love meeting new people, I have bumped into a few people who look like they might be expats, but no one seems interested to even make eye contact, i'm assuming because most of the expats here have their own set of friends from their work or compound, oh thats also another issue we dont live in a compound we live in a building, so I'm not inclined to meet any expats!

Would really love to hear from people who might be in a similiar situation as me or at least also lonely!

Last edited by Ray Ray-london; Oct 28th 2009 at 9:24 am. Reason: forgot to add a few bits!
Old Oct 28th 2009, 9:43 am
Roving Donny fan.

Location: Doncaster, UK. But not for long!!! Where's my visa!!!
glynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really niceglynster is just really nice
Default Re: Going MENTAL in Riyadh!

I understand how you feel RR, it is difficult to meet folks over here if you are not on a compound. I was initially to be in Jeddah for a month and have been here for nearly 6 months now and am in a hotel, apart from work I hardly speak to anyone.
If you are to be happy and want to stay here for a long time, I think you really need to talk with your hubby and get on to a compound, otherwise you are gonna continue to go crazy,polite conversations with oneself!! I havent started argueing with myself yet so still hope here.

Best of luck.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 9:45 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Try talking to Barbs2084

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=637760
Old Oct 28th 2009, 9:53 am
Ray

Originally Posted by glynster
I understand how you feel RR, it is difficult to meet folks over here if you are not on a compound. I was initially to be in Jeddah for a month and have been here for nearly 6 months now and am in a hotel, apart from work I hardly speak to anyone.
If you are to be happy and want to stay here for a long time, I think you really need to talk with your hubby and get on to a compound, otherwise you are gonna continue to go crazy,polite conversations with oneself!! I havent started argueing with myself yet so still hope here.

Best of luck.
Thanks Glynster!

Well I think that might be the only way, only thing is we were initially going to get a place in a compound but there all taken and there was a waiting list up2 6 months and we needed it right away so there you go lets see!

I would say more than happy to meet you but seems your all the way in Jeddah! so dont think that would be happening! I'm so sorry your in that situation of been in a hotel for almost 6 months, and I do understand how you feel as I go all day not talking to no one, then my hubby gets home he's either tired or busy doing some work so dont get much of a chance to talk to him either! theres days gone where I havent spoken to a soul! So not yet close to arguing with myself but i see it right round the corner!
Old Oct 28th 2009, 10:13 am
Ray

Originally Posted by MacScot
thanks M , in contact with Barb now!
Old Oct 28th 2009, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray Ray-london
Thanks Glynster!

Well I think that might be the only way, only thing is we were initially going to get a place in a compound but there all taken and there was a waiting list up2 6 months and we needed it right away so there you go lets see!

I would say more than happy to meet you but seems your all the way in Jeddah! so dont think that would be happening! I'm so sorry your in that situation of been in a hotel for almost 6 months, and I do understand how you feel as I go all day not talking to no one, then my hubby gets home he's either tired or busy doing some work so dont get much of a chance to talk to him either! theres days gone where I havent spoken to a soul! So not yet close to arguing with myself but i see it right round the corner!
You NEED to get into a compound, asap! Seriously, your husband MUST get his employer to fix this for you. IF your husband has such a good compensation package, this should have happened immediately.
In the meantime, aren't there any wives of your husband's colleagues you can meet? Maybe some of them are in compounds and you could meet some people through them?
There are also coffee mornings on compounds, exercise classes etc....try to find some people on compounds ,so that you get access.

I am not in Riyadh anymore, but lived there for 4 years...4 fabulous years, I want to add!

Good luck!

Oh, and also, since you are not in a compound, therefore have no access to shopping buses, limos, does the company give you a car and driver? They should, until you are settled in a compound with access to transport.

Last edited by Alexa; Oct 28th 2009 at 10:19 am.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 10:26 am
Ray

Originally Posted by Alexa
You NEED to get into a compound, asap! Seriously, your husband MUST get his employer to fix this for you. IF your husband has such a good compensation package, this should have happened immediately.
In the meantime, aren't there any wives of your husband's colleagues you can meet? Maybe some of them are in compounds and you could meet some people through them?
There are also coffee mornings on compounds, exercise classes etc....try to find some people on compounds ,so that you get access.

I am not in Riyadh anymore, but lived there for 4 years...4 fabulous years, I want to add!

Good luck!

Oh, and also, since you are not in a compound, therefore have no access to shopping buses, limos, does the company give you a car and driver? They should, until you are settled in a compound with access to transport.
Alexa,

I'm glad to see your experience was wonderful for those 4 years, but unfortuanetly mine not going great at all, all my husbands colleagues wives live in bulidings not one of them in compounds! I have tried almost most things, he had a couple of friends who have been in compounds, but honestly if you ask me I dont think I would class them as friends the minute they knew he was married no one bothers with him now..we both tried mailing them calling them he wanted to introduce me to some friends he made when he used to go to the compounds but they dont want to know. I'd rather make my own friends to be honest.

yes great package in realtion to his wage and benefits but the rest there so lame, trust me hes supposed to get free round tickets a year for me to travel to my home an same for him, they never did this. thats just one of the examples. he has left that company and started with a new one again small company not well established but there you go.

thanks for your info!
Old Oct 28th 2009, 10:39 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

I think it was Terry Pratchett who said in one of his books that multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of madness!(!!)

You could also have good chats on here... I know it's not the same as seeing "real" people, but I spend most of my spare time chatting to avatars on the Intarweb. At least you haven't (possibly) downloaded SmarterChild for msn and got into an argument with it.

Alternatively, you could get hold of a computer game like World of Warcraft and spend your days playing that... after a week or so, you won't even realise that you haven't stepped out of the house or made eye-contact with a fellow human (although there are human characters and I guess if you zoom in enough you could, like see the game through your characters eyes and then you'd be making eye contact with others, but also with night elves, dwarves...sorry, I digress. I have no knowledge of WoW and never played it.)

Well, that's me done.

Old Oct 28th 2009, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

Danajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really nice

RR - my wife is coming to Saudi very soon to live with me on my compound - you're very welcome to visit. I'm planning a get together very soon - you and your husband very welcome to meet fellow Riyaderonian expats.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 11:02 am
Ray

Originally Posted by Danajj
RR - my wife is coming to Saudi very soon to live with me on my compound - you're very welcome to visit. I'm planning a get together very soon - you and your husband very welcome to meet fellow Riyaderonian expats.
Hi Danajj

Thank you, thats so kind of you. Would love to, just let us know when that is.

Where is your wife coming from is it london as well, will this be her first visit wish her luck hope it wont be as bad as it was for me. Were actually looking for somewhere now as our rent for this place is up December but were looking for something smaller this time save the inlaws coming over all the time...

Were looking for a one bedroom apartment or villa no idea how it works in compounds lets say 1-2 bedrooms preferably one bedroom.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

Danajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really nice

No - not from London - she's a northern lass from Leeds. When you and husband come over, I'll take you to reception of the compound to fill in details for a villa - you might have to wait a few months, but something always comes up.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 11:16 am
Ray

No - not from London - she's a northern lass from Leeds. When you and husband come over, I'll take you to reception of the compound to fill in details for a villa - you might have to wait a few months, but something always comes up.
Thats great thanks!

Shes a northern lass, well I find the northerners are alwasy much more welcoming to new things, not like us uptight londoners!...lol by they way are you a londoner too?..
Old Oct 28th 2009, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

On no - I'm from up north also - way up north of the border.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 3:00 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray Ray-london
Thats great thanks!

Shes a northern lass, well I find the northerners are alwasy much more welcoming to new things, not like us uptight londoners!...lol by they way are you a londoner too?..
just like the Geordies!
Old Oct 28th 2009, 4:29 pm
Ray

On no - I'm from up north also - way up north of the border.
woops! ok well great nice to meet you and looking forward to meeting your wife hopefully in person the next time.

thats something I forgot to mention people up north tend to always be alot more friendlier unlike us Londoners

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.