Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Getting married in UAE

Getting married in UAE

Old Nov 9th 2008, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

Investoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant future
Default Getting married in UAE

Hi Guys, I need some help.

I got married in UAE few months back and I recently had my marriage certificate sent to me (all in arabic from the Sharia Court). I am a British Citizen married to an arabic woman.

Now the question is, I want to register this marriage in the UK or at the British Embassy here. Is this possible? I rang the british embassy they said when I go to the UK I should get it registered there.

My question is.... does this marriage certificate require attestation? If so... are these steps correct?

-Get the certificate translated at Twar Centre Dubai?
-Get it attested at the solicitor there?
-Take it to Ministry of Labour for more stamps?
-Take it to Ministry of Foreign Affairs for more stamps?

I think I didnt forget any steps but please add your comments. I need to take this certificate full of stamps to the UK so that I can register everythin legally and properly.

Thanks guy,

Inv.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 3:57 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting married in UAE

Originally Posted by Investoman_uae

I got married in UAE few months back and I recently had my marriage certificate sent to me (all in arabic from the Sharia Court). I am a British Citizen married to an arabic woman.

Now the question is, I want to register this marriage in the UK or at the British Embassy here. Is this possible? I rang the british embassy they said when I go to the UK I should get it registered there.

My question is.... does this marriage certificate require attestation? If so... are these steps correct?

I think I didnt forget any steps but please add your comments. I need to take this certificate full of stamps to the UK so that I can register everythin legally and properly.

Thanks guy,

Inv.
I always thought a local wedding in a Sharia court didn't need attesting here...and that the UK Embassy would be able to attest it?

If you don't mind me asking how do you go about getting a court wedding here as a foreigner...I'm planning to get married next year and want to avoid churches if I can.

N.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 3:58 am
Forum Regular

Investoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant futureInvestoman_uae has a brilliant future

Thanks guy,

Inv.
None of you got married in this part of the world?

Come on, am just tryin to find out whether I can register in the UK and if so, whether the marriage certificate needs legalising/attestation etc etc.

Your advice is appreciated. Thanks.

inv.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 4:05 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I think it would be safe of me to say that the majority of us are christian and we got married in Churches not Sharia Courts.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 4:08 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

None of you got married in this part of the world?

Come on, am just tryin to find out whether I can register in the UK and if so, whether the marriage certificate needs legalising/attestation etc etc.

Your advice is appreciated. Thanks.

inv.
I got married in a church here over 7 years ago and am now going through a divorce after 1.5 years of separation.

I recall after getting the church marriage cert I had to go to the embassy to get it attested then to the ministry of foreign affairs after getting it translated. Then I went to the Dubai courts and got it attested there and that was it.

N.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 4:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
I always thought a local wedding in a Sharia court didn't need attesting here...and that the UK Embassy would be able to attest it?

If you don't mind me asking how do you go about getting a court wedding here as a foreigner...I'm planning to get married next year and want to avoid churches if I can.

N.
http://ukinuae.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...ister-marriage

The above link will shed alot of info. You gora go through one of these routes, church, sharia court, or the embassy. You must meet the conditions through.

Good luck!

Inv.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 4:14 am
Forum Regular

I got married in a church here over 7 years ago and am now going through a divorce after 1.5 years of separation.

I recall after getting the church marriage cert I had to go to the embassy to get it attested then to the ministry of foreign affairs after getting it translated. Then I went to the Dubai courts and got it attested there and that was it.

N.
http://ukinuae.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...ister-marriage

Check here, this will give alot of info. I just posted somethin and I have no idea where it went in this forum. Oh well!!...

I rang the embassy just now and the lady goes if you want your marriage to be registered, you have to do it in the UK, and have a ceremony there etc. And I should take a marriage certificate fully attested etc.

I feel that I have alot of running around to do.

Inv.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

N.
I dont know why my posts aint appearin... maybe cos of the link I posted there.

Type in google uk in uae and go through that embassy website, it will show you how to do a registration etc... but it doesnt go into how to get the certificate attested.

I rang them this morning and they said I have to do a ceremony in the UK to get registered there ... and i shud take the certificate from here fully attested.

Inv.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 9:54 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

I got married in France at my local Town Hall and never bothered getting it attested/translated/registered in GB.

The banks and everyone else seem to be fine with a wedding certificate from wherever... and mine hasn't got a word of English on it.

I'm not entirely sure if getting it registered in GB matters, although I have heard that a Sharia court marriage isn't recognised.

As for the "ceremony" in GB, if you don't want a church thing, then just pop down to the registry office with a couple of witnesses and it'll be done in 30 mins. There no need to have any frills if you don't want to. Also, I can't see why you'd need to take your current certificate with you if you were to go down that route... unless you wanted the GB on to be back-dated to coincide, but I'm not sure if they'd do that.

Hope this helps.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
I got married in France at my local Town Hall and never bothered getting it attested/translated/registered in GB.

The banks and everyone else seem to be fine with a wedding certificate from wherever... and mine hasn't got a word of English on it.

I'm not entirely sure if getting it registered in GB matters, although I have heard that a Sharia court marriage isn't recognised.

As for the "ceremony" in GB, if you don't want a church thing, then just pop down to the registry office with a couple of witnesses and it'll be done in 30 mins. There no need to have any frills if you don't want to. Also, I can't see why you'd need to take your current certificate with you if you were to go down that route... unless you wanted the GB on to be back-dated to coincide, but I'm not sure if they'd do that.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for your advice.

I decided since am goin with my wife to the UK in December, i will just go to a registry office and register there. But I still want to ask for the marriage certificate to be attested just incase.... cos i heard alot about fake marriages and they might think am fakin it or somethin . .. so just to be on the clear side.

Thanks again,

Inv.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 10:46 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

well a registry office wedding is the legal alternative to a church wedding, so you wouldn't be faking it! lol

Germany and France, for example, don't recognise religious weddings as legal, so you have to do the town hall one beforehand.

Good luck.. and congratulations!
Old Nov 10th 2008, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

lobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to all

sorry have family visisting ........my husband and i are both christian ....but we got married in the sharia court ...as my husband was already here and it was easier for us at the time .....we got our cert stamped by our uk solicitor and then registared it with the embassy
Norm it is a very hard process to get a wedding done here (we are in ad)and we have a friend who organised our wedding 4 years ago and has recently done the same for a couple of friends ...i can give you his details if you hit problems and need them xxxx
Old Nov 10th 2008, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

Lobby Lou, it would be a real help if you could PM me the details.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by lobby lou
sorry have family visisting ........my husband and i are both christian ....but we got married in the sharia court ...as my husband was already here and it was easier for us at the time .....we got our cert stamped by our uk solicitor and then registared it with the embassy
Norm it is a very hard process to get a wedding done here (we are in ad)and we have a friend who organised our wedding 4 years ago and has recently done the same for a couple of friends ...i can give you his details if you hit problems and need them xxxx
Thanks lobby lou. I'm looking to get married next year sometime, after I sort out my divorce so I think I would prefer the court route as we're planning to have a ceremony somewhere else later and just want the paperwork so we are "legal" and no one can say we're co-habiting etc.

Would appreciate your friend's details - thanks.

N.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 4:20 am
BE Enthusiast

lobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to all

will post as soon as dh home xxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.