Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Getting or feeling OLD for the guys only

Getting or feeling OLD for the guys only

Old Aug 20th 2011, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Getting or feeling OLD for the guys only

Anyone over 45 years old may be able to relate to this. All those between 40 adn 45 will be in denial and all those under 40 will think they will never get old. All those under 30 will not be able to understand what old people are. People over 50 will have accepted it and will be happy insh'Allah

I have lived a varied and wonderful life in different bits of the world but most of it in the UK. I was skinny thin until 35 when I had a bad motorcycle accident and that put paid to weekends doing energetic things and a beer belly began to grow. No problems I could live with that.

The hair began to thin out a bit in the late 30's so I shaved it off one day and have never looked back

I ditched the old wife and got a ten year younger model so that is ok

I have ridden motorcycles all my life, jumped out of perfectly good aeroplanes when younger and had more than fair share of shaggin so there is no mid life crisis here

What is pissing me off is that my knees and back are knackered and I am finally feeling old. My back is probably due to the bike accidents but my ******* knees are just worn out and bolloxed.
I have always worn real shoes for work i.e. Brogues with leather soles and a reasuring crunch when walking but due to knackered knees I reckoned it was time for some shock absorbing shoes so set off to Marks and Spencers. I was surrouned by ****** old men, all with dodgy knees etc buying elasticated waist trousers and comfy shoes. I even found myself looking at ****** Pyjamas and thinking that they looked a good idea and I have slept in the nuddy all my life !!!!

For anyone young (below 45) who is readin this and thinking it wont happen then my advice is to enjoy every bladdy minute of your body working properly because one day you will also be looking at comfy shoes

Shit I am depressed
Old Aug 20th 2011, 1:53 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting or feeling OLD for the guys only

this is not just for the men I can assure you! I turned 46 in June, from January things have been progressively shite. Did my ankle in which took nearly a month to put right, now I have a trapped nerve in my back, things are getting a bit better but as I type this I have had cramp in my leg for going on three hours. I managed to pick up a chest infection which is no joke when you cough

I was also in Marks and Spencers a couple of weeks ago buying memory foam slippers from the Nanna section, but I have to say they are superb!!

The face is still looking young but I am waiting for that to go next!!!

chin up lad we all go through it
Old Aug 20th 2011, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

I empathise with you Tock....

I *****ed up my left leg in a bike accident when I was 21 and ended up with a leg 1cm shorter than the right and a load a steel in it.

27 years later and I find it very uncomfortable to wear a pair of brogues all day long.

The last time I was in the UK I found a pair of traveling shoes by The North Face, the model name is Hayden. These still look smart enough to wear for most business but are easily the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned. They are so good I'm going to order myself another pair in a different colour!
Old Aug 20th 2011, 3:12 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

..though one thing to look forward to is an improved aptitude for multi-tasking...one day you will be able to sneeze or cough and pee at the same time!
Old Aug 20th 2011, 3:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

My dear chap! I am in the age group which apparently should be in denial. Hah! My right leg is held together with Titanium ( with a serial number. The NHS wants it back when I kark it. Nice!) What hair that isn't going grey appears to be just going, I view stairs with suspicion, having made excursions both up and down them that were unplaned, and all in all, resemble a corpse that hasn't had the decency to stop breathing...

So, my best advice is HAVE A DRINK AND TRY AND FORGET WHAT YOU'RE TRYING TO REMEMBER!!

P.S. I've actually had quite a good day today!
Old Aug 20th 2011, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

markinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nicemarkinbahrain is just really nice

Hi Tock, I sooo know how you feel!! I am 46 years old now, but have always been very young at heart & mind. I have always worked with younger people and therefore I think it rubs off on me, I have always liked designer clothes fast cars and nice ladies. But back in January I broke my ankle and tore my ligaments outside Champs Great Western Hotel in Juffair, Bahrain (had shoes on, came outside the place it was raining and went arse over tip on the marble floor) It never bloody rains, anyway I did not go to hospital for 12 days due to denial, but eventually went and got leg put in plaster for 9weeks, was trapped in Bahrain due to all the crap that was going on.....ankle still not right and its August!!
I notice things now that I never did before, my son tells me I constantly moan about my ankle, I have to trim my ear lobes, I tell him to turn his bloody music down, I am in bed by 11.30pm - and up without an alarm clock by 6am even at weekends "WTF"!
I drink wine now rather than lager Oh and have come back to London for August hoping for nice evenings sitting by the river thames eating and drinking and it has been shitty weather, therefore all I have done is moan.

When I am in Bahrain it riots, so what do I do,I come back to London, and what......bloody riots!! I am not sure if I am the problem or if riots are following me around!
Oh and thought it would be different, ( but tacky )I took lots of family to the new hotel at Butlins, Bognor Regis ( could not do chalet, but really nice hotel ) 3 nights per family room £705!! I booked 3 rooms...for bloody Butlins £2,115!! The people at the chalets were their with women in leggings and men whom looked like they had not worked in 20 years and their sons needing a good wash and their daughters with 3 kids and all with different dads!! All I have done is people watch saying terrible bad things about people, and making judgements on people like I am judge & jury.

Therefore the age of 46 years old rather than 45 has been the year of catch-up for me, feeling old and moaning and quite obnoxious towards the UK.
But a master at knowing where the next place is for a riot in the world
Cant wait to get back to sunny Bahrain
Old Aug 20th 2011, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

monksb is just really nicemonksb is just really nicemonksb is just really nicemonksb is just really nicemonksb is just really nicemonksb is just really nicemonksb is just really nicemonksb is just really nice

God, you guys are sad. Wait while you get to my age (60 this year). But then again I do ref high school soccer two or three times a week and, while my knees are nothing to write home about a yearly shot of cortisone is putting off the surgeons knife. Yes, the hair is grey, parts dont work like they should and the beer gut is harder to get rid of.

I read something once by Rodney Dangerfield and he said something along the lines of "before I open my eyes each morning, I stretch my arms out and, if I dont feel wood, I know its going to be a great day". Words to live by.

I have realised with age, that I cannot change the whole world, but I can control that piece of world around me. You ARE as young as you feel.
Old Aug 20th 2011, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Glad I am not the only one in this situation lol

All replies from folks our age plus one OAP, for shuwa I cannot imagine being 60. Nobody is really that old are they.

Thanks for the tip on the shoes, I will google just now.

An afternoon of Bacardi has helped. Tomorrow will be better or I will perfect being Victor Mildrew

Love the " corpse that hasnt had the decency to stop breathing"
Old Aug 20th 2011, 5:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Another thing about getting older is that you forget all the thrills and spills encountered in younger days with motorcycles, and think purchasing this might be a good idea.....
Attached Thumbnails Getting or feeling OLD for the guys only-dscf0315.jpg  
Old Aug 20th 2011, 6:05 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markinbahrain
Hi Tock, I sooo know how you feel!! I am 46 years old now, but have always been very young at heart & mind. I have always worked with younger people and therefore I think it rubs off on me, I have always liked designer clothes fast cars and nice ladies. But back in January I broke my ankle and tore my ligaments outside Champs Great Western Hotel in Juffair, Bahrain (had shoes on, came outside the place it was raining and went arse over tip on the marble floor) It never bloody rains, anyway I did not go to hospital for 12 days due to denial, but eventually went and got leg put in plaster for 9weeks, was trapped in Bahrain due to all the crap that was going on.....ankle still not right and its August!!
I notice things now that I never did before, my son tells me I constantly moan about my ankle, I have to trim my ear lobes, I tell him to turn his bloody music down, I am in bed by 11.30pm - and up without an alarm clock by 6am even at weekends "WTF"!
I drink wine now rather than lager Oh and have come back to London for August hoping for nice evenings sitting by the river thames eating and drinking and it has been shitty weather, therefore all I have done is moan.

When I am in Bahrain it riots, so what do I do,I come back to London, and what......bloody riots!! I am not sure if I am the problem or if riots are following me around!
Oh and thought it would be different, ( but tacky )I took lots of family to the new hotel at Butlins, Bognor Regis ( could not do chalet, but really nice hotel ) 3 nights per family room £705!! I booked 3 rooms...for bloody Butlins £2,115!! The people at the chalets were their with women in leggings and men whom looked like they had not worked in 20 years and their sons needing a good wash and their daughters with 3 kids and all with different dads!! All I have done is people watch saying terrible bad things about people, and making judgements on people like I am judge & jury.

Therefore the age of 46 years old rather than 45 has been the year of catch-up for me, feeling old and moaning and quite obnoxious towards the UK.
post of the week!!

thought you were coming to Dubai?

Old Aug 20th 2011, 6:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

I retract any comments I have ever made about silver foxes. Any ideas I had of older men being hot have just been shot down! Back to the young whippersnappers it is!
Old Aug 20th 2011, 8:25 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markinbahrain

at least this forum is good for one thing. i feel proper young now!

sorry tock and mark! you'll just have to deal with it..i'm still enjoying my 30's..
Old Aug 20th 2011, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by monksb
I read something once by Rodney Dangerfield and he said something along the lines of "before I open my eyes each morning, I stretch my arms out and, if I dont feel wood, I know its going to be a great day". Words to live by.
Is this correct ?

I stretch my arms and if i feel wood, i know its going to be a great day (my own wood !!) otherwise i will be unhappy for the rest of the day !!
Old Aug 21st 2011, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

My old man has worn out his knees and back, well..he fell down pretty bad in his 30's and laid in bed for a few months. I have been expecting the belly for the past 10 years..but it's not come. What gives? Theoretically..I should have had it at 20..great granfather got it at 50..grandfather 40..dad 30.

In other news...myright thumb is straight due to a drunken bike ride to attain some more alcohol. Teeth are gone and replaced too. My arse really hurt the other day, I blame shitty bed,

Last edited by Paracletus; Aug 21st 2011 at 12:33 am.
Old Aug 21st 2011, 5:09 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

**** pyjamas.
**** comfy shoes.
**** elasticated-waist trousers.
I don't give a **** about what little hair I have left turning silver.
I do give a **** about the beer belly, but that's up to me to sort out.

I will continue to wear brogues for work, even though one of my knees is knackered.
I will continue to party till I drop.
Once the kiddies are through uni, I'll have a Norton Commando (so that's about my only concession).

I don't like being 50+ because it means that it takes me all night to do what I used to do all night, but…I'm as good once as I ever was.

Getting old? Yeah. Less fun? **** no.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.