Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Gaza militants fire dozens of mortars into Israel

Gaza militants fire dozens of mortars into Israel

Old Apr 4th 2011, 11:06 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Gaza militants fire dozens of mortars into Israel

True. This is why historical arguments about ownership are so pointless.

What about my peasant ancestors? So often deprived of legitimate land ownership by kings decree and invading foreign armies. I demand UN intervention on behalf of my people’s human rights and the restoration of family land to me!
Old Apr 5th 2011, 3:38 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gaza militants fire dozens of mortars into Israel

Originally Posted by Charismatic
True. This is why historical arguments about ownership are so pointless.

What about my peasant ancestors? So often deprived of legitimate land ownership by kings decree and invading foreign armies. I demand UN intervention on behalf of my people’s human rights and the restoration of family land to me!
They're not always pointless, especially if you don't have a country of your own and no friendly neighbours but the methods for reclaiming land are often violent, bitter and bloody.

Still in the case of Israel there's always been a Jewish presence there and before 1967 no one called for the creation of a Palestinian State because, to quote at least one Palestinian official, the Palestinian people do not exist...

Bloody politics. I'm still hopeful about Turkey though - would be fantastic to visit Constantinople
Old Apr 9th 2011, 12:16 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Gaza militants fire dozens of mortars into Israel

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
I'm still hopeful about Turkey though - would be fantastic to visit Constantinople
We'll let you deliver the bad news to the locals. Interesting if Turkey joined the EU though .

Anyway Israel has a new edge: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-13013322
Israel's new Iron Dome mobile short-range missile defence system was used in a combat operation for the first time on Thursday, Israeli officials say.

A battery located near the southern coastal town of Ashkelon brought down what was thought to be a Grad rocket fired from the Gaza Strip.

Iron Dome was conceived in the wake of the 2006 Lebanon war, which highlighted the vulnerability of Israeli population centres to long-range missile and rocket attack.
The problem was solved using just a pinch of their Science, Engineering and Technology.