Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

France and UAE driving licence

France and UAE driving licence

Old Jul 3rd 2019, 3:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Cypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to behold
Default France and UAE driving licence

Are there any issues using a UAE driving licence to hire a car in France? Do you need an IDP?

I'd use my UK one but I can't find it.
Old Jul 3rd 2019, 4:30 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: France and UAE driving licence

I've not had any, neither in France nor Italy. These days rental companies even seem happy just to use the digital version (AD Police App) rather than the physical card.
Old Oct 2nd 2019, 11:27 am
Just Joined

Binoclard is an unknown quantity at this point

There is one thing to look for when renting a car in UAE is that some of the shady agency are trying to not refound your deposit.

Their main tactics is as follow:
Rule 1: only allow to refund after 1 month (to verify you did not get any fines)
Rule 2: Only allow payement by check that they can only give in person

If you are there less than a month say goodbye to the deposit!

Last edited by Binoclard; Oct 2nd 2019 at 11:30 am.
Old Oct 2nd 2019, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Binoclard
There is one thing to look for when renting a car in UAE is that some of the shady agency are trying to not refound your deposit.

Their main tactics is as follow:
Rule 1: only allow to refund after 1 month (to verify you did not get any fines)
Rule 2: Only allow payement by check that they can only give in person

If you are there less than a month say goodbye to the deposit!

He is looking for advice on how to rent a car in France
Old Oct 2nd 2019, 12:01 pm
Just Joined

Binoclard is an unknown quantity at this point

Sporyy got it the wrong way around

Then there is no problem French poeple are the most honnest on earth!
Old Oct 3rd 2019, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Binoclard
Then there is no problem French poeple are the most honnest on earth!
I assume you're taking the p!ss?

As for driving in France, I got an IDP. For the ease of getting one its worth it. I wasn't asked but have been elsewhere in the past.
Old Oct 10th 2019, 6:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Cypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to behold

For what it's worth I had no issues with the UAE licence on a pick up in Paris from sixt.

Off brand local car hire on the other hand - say bye bye to your deposit unless you're prepared to sit in the office and call the police - lesson learned there...