Fossil Rock

Old Oct 30th 2005, 6:12 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fossil Rock

couple of pics in the photo post, will post more when i've shrunk em
Old Oct 30th 2005, 6:34 pm
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fossil Rock

Originally Posted by shiva
couple of pics in the photo post, will post more when i've shrunk em
Great pictures Shiva !!
Old Oct 31st 2005, 4:13 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
Great pictures Shiva !!
Seconded - great shots!

What's the drive out to Fossil Rock like - easy, hard? I've got an offroad book etc and a decent Jeep... easy to do (with some other 4x4s too of course... not just heading out on my tod!) or not for the novice (with only a few blasts up and down Jebel Ali for experience)...

Cheers,

Auto
Old Oct 31st 2005, 4:22 am
A slow driver!

lillygirl is a splendid one to beholdlillygirl is a splendid one to beholdlillygirl is a splendid one to beholdlillygirl is a splendid one to beholdlillygirl is a splendid one to beholdlillygirl is a splendid one to beholdlillygirl is a splendid one to beholdlillygirl is a splendid one to beholdlillygirl is a splendid one to beholdlillygirl is a splendid one to beholdlillygirl is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Autonomy
Seconded - great shots!

What's the drive out to Fossil Rock like - easy, hard? I've got an offroad book etc and a decent Jeep... easy to do (with some other 4x4s too of course... not just heading out on my tod!) or not for the novice (with only a few blasts up and down Jebel Ali for experience)...

Cheers,

Auto

It's not that hard and you can choose a fairly flat route if you want to. Once you've been with with someone and learnt the way, you can remember it pretty easily. The book gives good directions.

It's best to drive through to near Fossil Rock and mess about on the sand dunes there. That's where the huge one is on Shiva's photos.

It's a good route to learn on (she says after nearly rolling her car at the weekend! :scared: )
Old Oct 31st 2005, 4:47 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lillygirl
It's a good route to learn on (she says after nearly rolling her car at the weekend! :scared: )
Haha - I almost burnt out my clutch (ooo - err missus!) at the weekend too. First time properly driving on the sand in the jeep and was a little bit carried away with it all!

Going camping on Jebel Ali over this weekend - first night under the stars in the UAE! What's the deal with camping on the beach - is this all ok with "the man"? And alcohol - obviously not on show, but would they search the tent for no reason if they come down? Any problems or anything to know?

Will 100% definiately do Fossil Rock very soon - looks amazing - just do it in a day or is it worth to camp near by?

Cheers!

Auto
Old Oct 31st 2005, 4:54 am
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

Haha - I almost burnt out my clutch (ooo - err missus!) at the weekend too. First time properly driving on the sand in the jeep and was a little bit carried away with it all!

Going camping on Jebel Ali over this weekend - first night under the stars in the UAE! What's the deal with camping on the beach - is this all ok with "the man"? And alcohol - obviously not on show, but would they search the tent for no reason if they come down? Any problems or anything to know?

Will 100% definiately do Fossil Rock very soon - looks amazing - just do it in a day or is it worth to camp near by?

Cheers!

Auto
If you're up for a day drive there then I'll be more than happy to come along. It shouldn't take too long either, we got very close to it acroos the dunes - although there are tracks, on an evening drive the other day. Incidentally, the drive to the top of Fossil Rock is meant to be the steepest track in the UAE!!
Old Oct 31st 2005, 4:57 am
A slow driver!

lillygirl is a splendid one to beholdlillygirl is a splendid one to beholdlillygirl is a splendid one to beholdlillygirl is a splendid one to beholdlillygirl is a splendid one to beholdlillygirl is a splendid one to beholdlillygirl is a splendid one to beholdlillygirl is a splendid one to beholdlillygirl is a splendid one to beholdlillygirl is a splendid one to beholdlillygirl is a splendid one to behold

Cheers!

Auto
I'm not sure about camping on the beach. I think we are going to camp down near Al Ain this week and I guess if you are in the desert and no one can see you, there's no problem. Same goes for alcohol I would think.

Come with us if you like next time we go out into the desert. There were 5 cars last week and the more the merrier!
Old Oct 31st 2005, 5:14 am
Forum Regular

NooNoo has much to be proud ofNooNoo has much to be proud ofNooNoo has much to be proud ofNooNoo has much to be proud ofNooNoo has much to be proud ofNooNoo has much to be proud ofNooNoo has much to be proud ofNooNoo has much to be proud ofNooNoo has much to be proud ofNooNoo has much to be proud ofNooNoo has much to be proud of

Auto
You'll have no worries at all - just keep the music at a decent level, if the police come just hide your 7ups and you'll be fine - no way will they search your tents. Unfortunately dogs aren't allowed anymore - If you go past Jebel Ali about 10 mins and take the turn off to Gantoot, there are little barasti shades all along the beach (we take our dogs there, ssshh) - might be quite busy though being Eid. Happy camping!!
Old Oct 31st 2005, 5:39 am