Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Flying out to live in Abu Dhabi on thursday!!!

Flying out to live in Abu Dhabi on thursday!!!

Old Jul 8th 2007, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying out to live in Abu Dhabi on thursday!!!

Originally Posted by twinkle-star
The dress code for women seems relaxed over here! Saw a man yesterday in his late 50's out with his daughter and she was wearing a tight mini skirt and a very low cut top with a zip that she kept pulling down low. Dont think she lived here just visiting him as he kept taking photos of her.
Yes, I have seen that too. The daughters all seem to like to drink a lot - they always seem to be in the bar. Oftentimes they come and talk to me, too - they keep telling me I am very young - I tell them 34 isn't young....
Old Jul 8th 2007, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twinkle-star
Saw a man yesterday in his late 50's out with his daughter and she was wearing a tight mini skirt and a very low cut top with a zip that she kept pulling down low. Dont think she lived here just visiting him as he kept taking photos of her.
Defo not his daughter
Old Jul 8th 2007, 6:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeni
Hey everyone
Just finished work yesterday, so am currently packing my bags, ready to fly to Abu Dhabi on thursday.... Have posted on here b4 about wheres good 2 go, so will be out exploring shops & beaches as soon as i get a day off!!! So, if u see a random blonde looking lost, it'll probably be me...
Will be working at Abu Dhabi Health & Fitness Club, so if anyone is a member there, I look forward to meeting you!!!
If anyone else in the UK tells me I'm gonna be sold in exchange for a camel, I will probably explode...
Looking forward to escaping from the British summer, which seems to be the same as the winter, rain & general grey nothingness....
jeni
x
Another opportunity for a shameless plug for Salsa Arabia .

Seriously, tho, whilst AD nightlife does have a predominance of lonely men sharking for what they can get, there are a number of "social scenes" which have a healthier balance - depending on your interests (try joining things like sailing clubs, scuba, desert driving - whatever takes your fancy).

The Abu Dhabi Salsa group is one such scene - either check it out on Facebook or try www.salsawithbrando.com.....
Old Jul 11th 2007, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

jeni is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, well have been here nearly a week now, has gone soooooooo fast...

Abu Dhabi is pretty close to what I was expecting.....So far, have been to Abu Dhabi, Al Wahda & Marina Malls... Have a day off on sat so am trying to work out what to do. Joining 'The Club' seems to be a bit of a mission, I spoke to them 2day & they were up their own arses to be fair, especially when telling me bout their waiting list, is their loss not mine!!

Think will have a look at Rotana to join as somewhere to chill cos is pretty close to where i'm living...

You reckon i'd be ok going out to a bar in a hotel by myself or am I asking 4 trouble????

Work is all ok at the mo, members & staff all nice etc..

Thanks 4 all the info, is useful!!

jeni
x
Old Jul 11th 2007, 6:31 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Abu Dhabi is pretty close to what I was expecting.....So far, have been to Abu Dhabi, Al Wahda & Marina Malls... Have a day off on sat so am trying to work out what to do. Joining 'The Club' seems to be a bit of a mission, I spoke to them 2day & they were up their own arses to be fair, especially when telling me bout their waiting list, is their loss not mine!!

Think will have a look at Rotana to join as somewhere to chill cos is pretty close to where i'm living...

You reckon i'd be ok going out to a bar in a hotel by myself or am I asking 4 trouble????

jeni
x
nothing wrong with a bit of trouble...
Old Jul 11th 2007, 7:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

jeni
x

Choose your bar with caution - anywhere at Meridien Village (close to where you are), Traders Vics or the German bar at the Rotana, Hemingways, Sax or Heroes and you will be fine. Heroes may be best if you're looking to meet people.

I have not tried to join the club as I get free membership at the Meridien, but I'm told that with the right recommender the waiting list magically shrinks... Whether you'd actually want to be a member is another kettle of acquatic vertebrates...
Old Jul 11th 2007, 8:45 pm
Banned

soso is an unknown quantity at this point

wo0ow

wishing you nice time Brother
Old Jul 29th 2007, 8:25 am
Just Joined

Estherzue is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Jeni, I just recently moved to Abu Dhabi as well, been here 4 weeks now working in Oil&Gas. 20s, female, single, too and you should be fine. You can go to the Malls and the cinema and the Hotels by yourself, absolutely no problem. However, that does get dull after a while. I went shopping for 3 days in a row and never since. Movies absolutely suck at the moment, except for maybe Harry Potter but I don't dare going to the cinema for fear of 100s and 100s of Arab kids.

I hope you didn't join Rotana yet, because it's not very good. And yes, they are exceptionally cocky with their membership. In general, get on the waiting list and in the meantime get the summer membership. But you shouldn't join Rotana. You have to walk for 10 minutes in the sun to reach the beach club, there's construction work going on and its smells of fried food all the time. The view sucks, plus it's more of a family thing there. Join the Hiltonia instead, that's where all the young people are, much nicer view on the Creek and parking right upfront. Plus, after you can go for a drink in the Hilton opposite road, really nice.

If you wanna meet up and do stuff just contact me and we'll sort something out. As a matter of fact I've been looking for people but as you might have noticed, AD is pretty deserted this time of the year. But hey, let's meet up and do all the things we can't do alone (like going to the gold souk, I've been dying to do that but don't dare...) Anyone else reading this and being in AD atm, get in touch.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 11:54 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Estherzue
Hey Jeni, I just recently moved to Abu Dhabi as well, been here 4 weeks now working in Oil&Gas. 20s, female, single, too and you should be fine. You can go to the Malls and the cinema and the Hotels by yourself, absolutely no problem. However, that does get dull after a while. I went shopping for 3 days in a row and never since. Movies absolutely suck at the moment, except for maybe Harry Potter but I don't dare going to the cinema for fear of 100s and 100s of Arab kids.

I hope you didn't join Rotana yet, because it's not very good. And yes, they are exceptionally cocky with their membership. In general, get on the waiting list and in the meantime get the summer membership. But you shouldn't join Rotana. You have to walk for 10 minutes in the sun to reach the beach club, there's construction work going on and its smells of fried food all the time. The view sucks, plus it's more of a family thing there. Join the Hiltonia instead, that's where all the young people are, much nicer view on the Creek and parking right upfront. Plus, after you can go for a drink in the Hilton opposite road, really nice.

If you wanna meet up and do stuff just contact me and we'll sort something out. As a matter of fact I've been looking for people but as you might have noticed, AD is pretty deserted this time of the year. But hey, let's meet up and do all the things we can't do alone (like going to the gold souk, I've been dying to do that but don't dare...) Anyone else reading this and being in AD atm, get in touch.
Hi Esther, one of our members - Twinkle Star has just moved from Dubai to Abu Dhabi, she is wanting to make new friends too. She isn't on line yet as she is still trying to get into her new apartment. Once you have posted five times you will get PM facility and I can PM you her telephone number.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

Estherzue is an unknown quantity at this point

Sure, that'll be lovely. I'll just keep postin then
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 7:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
Hi Esther, one of our members - Twinkle Star has just moved from Dubai to Abu Dhabi, she is wanting to make new friends too. She isn't on line yet as she is still trying to get into her new apartment. Once you have posted five times you will get PM facility and I can PM you her telephone number.
It looks like there is approx 5/6 posters in AD now - I'd be up for a British Expats meet up if anyone else is? Don't know whether we can manage to arrange this without the extraordinary organizational skills of le Chat Bleu, but we can try....
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 7:37 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
It looks like there is approx 5/6 posters in AD now - I'd be up for a British Expats meet up if anyone else is? Don't know whether we can manage to arrange this without the extraordinary organizational skills of le Chat Bleu, but we can try....
Twinkle Star will be up for a night out, she still isn't on line though, think moving into the apartment this weekend.
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

yehcheez is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey everyone
Just finished work yesterday, so am currently packing my bags, ready to fly to Abu Dhabi on thursday.... Have posted on here b4 about wheres good 2 go, so will be out exploring shops & beaches as soon as i get a day off!!! So, if u see a random blonde looking lost, it'll probably be me...
Will be working at Abu Dhabi Health & Fitness Club, so if anyone is a member there, I look forward to meeting you!!!
If anyone else in the UK tells me I'm gonna be sold in exchange for a camel, I will probably explode...
Looking forward to escaping from the British summer, which seems to be the same as the winter, rain & general grey nothingness....
jeni
x
oo oo oo me me me! i just came yesterday myself to live with my family! i miss london already! i live on the corniche btw so yeh lets go out to the beach or something, better yet lets just get traded for a camel
Old Aug 9th 2007, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

MAZP is just really niceMAZP is just really niceMAZP is just really niceMAZP is just really niceMAZP is just really niceMAZP is just really niceMAZP is just really niceMAZP is just really niceMAZP is just really niceMAZP is just really niceMAZP is just really nice

Hi, I have been here now from the 14th of May and I am workig here in AD. It's a nice town, with a lot of bars and restaurants, beach clubs and shops of all sorts. Going out alone shouldn't be a problem. Men look at you like they havenever seen a woman before and you will get bluetooth attempts by locals. But if you don't accept them then it's very unlikely that you will get bothered by anyone. Believe it or not, it is safer to go out alone here in AD than in London.

It's full of wondering blondes here, but they will not offer camels to you.
I think that you are going to love it here.

Hemingway at hilton is good place, flavours restaurant at sheraton corniche and royal orchid (al Salam Street past the India Palace) and he India Palace, are all wonderful restaurants and very authentic.

If you decide to rent a car and drive ..........good luck! lol

Have lots of fun.
Old Aug 13th 2007, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

numbercruncher is an unknown quantity at this point

an AD night out later this month or in early sep sounds like a great idea. I am definitely in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.