Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

first impressions - riyadh

first impressions - riyadh

Old Nov 29th 2008, 11:14 am

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold
Default first impressions - riyadh

right, made it (it's been 7 bl--dy months in the making!).

was quite pleasantly surprised by the airport process (best arrivals hall i've seen so far with waterfalls, etc.).

for those that want to know;
- fingerprints and photos are taken on your first entry
- customs and immigration was pretty much walkthrough w/ exception that they x-ray your bags for customs (w/ some thoroughly bored chap staring at a monitor)
- and then you're done!

something amusing;
- got on the plane at Bahrain and there was a woman sitting in my seat. as she was wearing an abaya, thought better of talking to her directly, so just approached the hostie instead who politely pointed out that she swapped seats because her seat was between two men!

question; (for the veterans who are bored already)
- what is the etiquette for getting into cabs/chauffered cars? do you get in the front passenger seat or not? (as a male, that is...)

more to come!

Old Nov 29th 2008, 11:32 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: first impressions - riyadh

I always ride in the back.

You're the second person I've met who likes the waterfalls. The brown/beige gets me down though...
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 7:55 am
Just Joined

abdull is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by still.unsure

was quite pleasantly surprised by the airport process (best arrivals hall i've seen so far with waterfalls, etc.).

for those that want to know;
- fingerprints and photos are taken on your first entry
- customs and immigration was pretty much walkthrough w/ exception that they x-ray your bags for customs (w/ some thoroughly bored chap staring at a monitor)
- and then you're done!

something amusing;
- got on the plane at Bahrain and there was a woman sitting in my seat. as she was wearing an abaya, thought better of talking to her directly, so just approached the hostie instead who politely pointed out that she swapped seats because her seat was between two men!

question; (for the veterans who are bored already)
- what is the etiquette for getting into cabs/chauffered cars? do you get in the front passenger seat or not? (as a male, that is...)

more to come!

well, welcome, the question is who did pick you up from the airport, don't tell me you got a rent cat then you drove in the wrong way :P

P.S. don't look at my posts No.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 8:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by typical
I always ride in the back.

You're the second person I've met who likes the waterfalls. The brown/beige gets me down though...
I also ride in the back - the seat belts are often 'missing' anyway so at least in the back you have a half-chance of surviving a head-on.........

Deanfact: Riyadh airport, last time I checked the Guinness Book of Records, was the biggest in the world (in terms of sq km), if you include all parking areas, terminal buildings, runways and taxiing areas etc.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

Duracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to all

Why did it take so long?

Is that 7 months from the point you got an interview for the role to starting?

I am considering a Saudi move as a possibility despite its downsides. Can I ask what line of work you are in?

Thanks.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

It's bigger than Bahrain apparently.

N
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 12:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

What is bigger than Bahrain??
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

Riyadh aiport . . .

When you off ?

N
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 12:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Nic1
Riyadh aiport . . .

When you off ?

N
Wed night/Thurs morn - leaving at about 1am to hit the causeway between Saudi rush hours....... trying to miss the back of the Wed night slog but get in ahead of the Thurs a.m. squeeze.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 12:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

So is it mahsalama Riyadh for the last time then ? Lucky man!!

N
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 1:16 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nic1
So is it mahsalama Riyadh for the last time then ? Lucky man!!

N
and I now have somewhere to stay in Bahrain
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 2:52 pm

still.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to beholdstill.unsure is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Duracell_Bunny
Why did it take so long?

Is that 7 months from the point you got an interview for the role to starting?

I am considering a Saudi move as a possibility despite its downsides. Can I ask what line of work you are in?

Thanks.
7 months was from the interview, 6.5 from the offer... i was already an expat in the UK so had to do things twice. (and for some unknown reason, the saudi embassy in each country does things differently... :curse: )

anyway, yes, made it, and am a IT architect here with an investment bank. what about yourself?
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 2:55 pm
Account Closed

Shadya is an unknown quantity at this point

7 months was from the interview, 6.5 from the offer... i was already an expat in the UK so had to do things twice. (and for some unknown reason, the saudi embassy in each country does things differently... :curse: )
anyway, yes, made it, and am a IT architect here with an investment bank. what about yourself?
I know about IT and about architects but what on earth is an IT architect?
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean
Wed night/Thurs morn - leaving at about 1am to hit the causeway between Saudi rush hours....... trying to miss the back of the Wed night slog but get in ahead of the Thurs a.m. squeeze.
damn, that was quick. well, sorry that i didn't have the chance to buy you a cup of coffee... appreciate the pointers on here.

are you planning a return to the magic kingdom anytime soon?
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 6:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
and I now have somewhere to stay in Bahrain
Of course you do - or will do. Give me a week or two...........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.