Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

fired and no one will help!

fired and no one will help!

Old Jan 22nd 2009, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

jamesdcooper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default fired and no one will help!

I got laid off from possibly the worst company in history, a developer.. im sure you have guessed which one.. it begins with a D ends with a C and has 2 A's and and M!

anyway they terminated my contract at the begining of Novemeber, I verbally accepted the settlement they offered me. then heard nothing.. they wont return calls or emails.. so just before xmas I went to the head office and spoke to them face to face.. for them to tell me there was a mistake on the settlement they sent me and I was owed a lot less than they first said.

I told them to sort it out and pay me the original settlement as thats what I had agreed to... havent heard form them since.. they wont cancel my visa until i accept the settlement..!!

Now for some perspective.. the settlement figure they offered me and I verbally accepted was for 2400AED and the figure they say im entitled to now is 800 AED! I was in probation.. and bought to dubai on complete lies and miss information from the employer..

any advice of what to do now would be appreciated!

thanks

James
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 6:50 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: fired and no one will help!

Originally Posted by jamesdcooper
I got laid off from possibly the worst company in history, a developer.. im sure you have guessed which one.. it begins with a D ends with a C and has 2 A's and and M!

anyway they terminated my contract at the begining of Novemeber, I verbally accepted the settlement they offered me. then heard nothing.. they wont return calls or emails.. so just before xmas I went to the head office and spoke to them face to face.. for them to tell me there was a mistake on the settlement they sent me and I was owed a lot less than they first said.

I told them to sort it out and pay me the original settlement as thats what I had agreed to... havent heard form them since.. they wont cancel my visa until i accept the settlement..!!

Now for some perspective.. the settlement figure they offered me and I verbally accepted was for 2400AED and the figure they say im entitled to now is 800 AED! I was in probation.. and bought to dubai on complete lies and miss information from the employer..

any advice of what to do now would be appreciated!

thanks

James
Sorry to hear of this James, of course you could take legal action but for these sums of money, is it worth it?
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light

Verbal acceptance only?

If so, aren't your options on an action of recourse extraordinarily limited?
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

Its more the point of it than the money.. plus 2400 would be nice to pay off some of the credit card.. personally I have written it off but Im going to keep pushing them.. I have tried to sign for the settlement but now we are in a dispute over the ammount.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute

Yes i know this well i was called into the office on 29 dec @1pm , to be told that my contract which expired on 31 dec , and i was not getting it renewed.
i used to work for a large aviation company in Riyadh.
i have been offered a new job for another company also in riyadh but both companies are slow of sorting out the minefield of paperwork re the noc. which i am required to in order to change companies here.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

banter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond reputebanter64 has a reputation beyond repute

james do you have a copy of the settlement ? I am a HR Manager for a large consultancy here in Dubai and have many years experience that may well assist you.

If you have can you send to me and I will review this, also I will need your start date.

I will PM you my e mail adress so that you can send across
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about your predicament.

I had warned you last March that they were crooks and to stay away

Last edited by IndieG; Jan 22nd 2009 at 10:47 am.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 11:05 am
Just Joined

nm62 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: fired and no one will help!

how painful to see every persons dreams blusting up in fumes...
Everyone is in depression and more and more coming up every day...
Who will support whom :curse:
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 11:06 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

James what can I say other than D started off as a catering company!! says it all really doesn't it. How long were you with them?
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 11:11 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry but Dubai isn't Plymouth. Unless you had the 2400 settlement in writing, you are going to struggle. As its such a small amount anyway, it might be prudent to simply bite the bullet and accept gracefully. You may never know if/when the market picks up and you may need a helpful letter of recommendation from a former employer.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Sorry but Dubai isn't Plymouth. Unless you had the 2400 settlement in writing, you are going to struggle. As its such a small amount anyway, it might be prudent to simply bite the bullet and accept gracefully. You may never know if/when the market picks up and you may need a helpful letter of recommendation from a former employer.
agree, its not worth the time and energy.

If its verbal, you are on an absolute hiding to nothing anyway.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

thanks for all the advice.. trust me I wont ever be putting them down as a former employer.. my boss actually got fired 2 days before me!! sys it all really..I have the email with the settlement attached which was 2400 from them.. they have now told me that they made a mistake and im only entitled to 800..

I was only with them 3 months... way to long if you ask me!!
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 11:59 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

I was only with them 3 months... way to long if you ask me!!
If only 3 months, why are you entitled to anything?
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

i worked 6 days in the month.. was fired on 6th nov..so i actually did earn what im asking for..
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 12:49 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

i worked 6 days in the month.. was fired on 6th nov..so i actually did earn what im asking for..
open or fixed contract?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.