British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Fingerprinting at Saudi airports on departure (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/fingerprinting-saudi-airports-departure-781096/)

Ash786 Dec 19th 2012 7:30 am

Fingerprinting at Saudi airports on departure

We have just received this email, the Saudi authorities are now introducing fingerprinting on departure.

Dear all,
Please be advised that Immigration offices in all Airports in the kingdom have issued an advisory about the new procedure of Immigration Authorities.

The authorities has a new procedure of finger printing, even if it has been done before during the updating of their system, it is required to all Non-Saudi to undergo one time finger printing upon departure.

In this case, all are advised to report at the airport at least 4 hours prior to departure of flight to avoid delays and to ensure timely checking in and boarding.

NorthernLad Dec 19th 2012 7:37 am

Re: Fingerprinting at Saudi airports on departure

Originally Posted by Ash786 (Post 10441268)
We have just received this email, the Saudi authorities are now introducing fingerprinting on departure.

Dear all,
Please be advised that Immigration offices in all Airports in the kingdom have issued an advisory about the new procedure of Immigration Authorities.

The authorities has a new procedure of finger printing, even if it has been done before during the updating of their system, it is required to all Non-Saudi to undergo one time finger printing upon departure.

In this case, all are advised to report at the airport at least 4 hours prior to departure of flight to avoid delays and to ensure timely checking in and boarding.

That place never ceases to amaze me. Last time I went, getting in was a nightmare and now they have changed the visa application rules (need a flight booked before applying).

Do they really think people want to go there???

As with most people based outside KSA, I go, get job done as quick as possible then get out.

Bahtatboy Dec 19th 2012 7:46 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 10441274)
That place never ceases to amaze me. Last time I went, getting in was a nightmare and now they have changed the visa application rules (need a flight booked before applying).

What about if you plan to get in via the Causeway? I need to go in the New Year, and will post here what happens (won't be applying for the visa till early Jan).

Ash786 Dec 19th 2012 8:00 am

It does say one time only...but I suspect that if you depart and return once after fingerprinting, second time could be just as long if you happen to be in a queue full of people going through their first fingerprinting...

csdf Dec 19th 2012 8:36 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10441286)
What about if you plan to get in via the Causeway? I need to go in the New Year, and will post here what happens (won't be applying for the visa till early Jan).

You now can't go in via the Causeway if it's your first entrance on a new visa. You have to enter on a flight.

Bahtatboy Dec 19th 2012 8:50 am

Originally Posted by csdf (Post 10441354)
You now can't go in via the Causeway if it's your first entrance on a new visa. You have to enter on a flight.

Useful info, thanx.

Ash786 Dec 19th 2012 8:55 am

Last time I went, getting in was a nightmare and now they have changed the visa application rules (need a flight booked before applying).

NL - where did you hear this? Sounds totally bonkers (that's Saudi for ya) but if you have a link to any official website this would be appreciated

NorthernLad Dec 19th 2012 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Ash786 (Post 10441380)
Last time I went, getting in was a nightmare and now they have changed the visa application rules (need a flight booked before applying).

NL - where did you hear this? Sounds totally bonkers (that's Saudi for ya) but if you have a link to any official website this would be appreciated

Our HR department told us a few weeks ago.

Bahtatboy Dec 19th 2012 10:50 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 10441508)
Our HR department told us a few weeks ago.

And you believed them?:rolleyes:

Ash786 Dec 19th 2012 11:12 am

Why would they lie about it? It is not in the interests of any company to flout the daft laws of SA, espcially immigration.

Sadly, my company is not up to speed as some others, hence the reason I hang around on here to pass on any useful titbit's of information

Bahtatboy Dec 19th 2012 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Ash786 (Post 10441596)
Why would they lie about it? It is not in the interests of any company to flout the daft laws of SA, espcially immigration.

Sadly, my company is not up to speed as some others, hence the reason I hang around on here to pass on any useful titbit's of information

I was just casting general nasturtiums on the inability of most HR depts to get anything right, spelling especially. However, if it is they who are handling visa applications they may well be right. On that particular day. For that particular visitor. With the wind in the direction it was on that particular day. And even if there is an official notification, there's a fair chance that it won't be adhered to.

Nonetheless, useful information to bear in mind.

scot47 Dec 19th 2012 1:00 pm

I remember when they introduced the fingerprint requirement for all igama-holders. That was fun and games.

Desert Dubliner Dec 19th 2012 1:10 pm

They are not for real. Every few months new customs requirements. Now this. Slowly I am getting fed up.

seven seas Dec 19th 2012 2:35 pm

Q:

Why would they lie about it?

A:

Sadly, my company is not up to speed as some others...

knickerdropofglory Dec 19th 2012 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by Ash786 (Post 10441268)

Dear all,

first saw this mail about 8 weeks ago... I have traveled out a couple of times since and have had to show my right index finger to the scanner.... there were no 4 hour delays. just the norm.

enjoy your crimbo