Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

For the financial experts (and the rest of you too): Dubai defaults on debt (sort of)

For the financial experts (and the rest of you too): Dubai defaults on debt (sort of)

Old Nov 27th 2009, 2:49 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For the financial experts (and the rest of you too): Dubai defaults on debt (sort

Originally Posted by TA5
If you look back through my posts i've been predicting this since 2004

Edit. I find it rather ironic, and fitting, that when every major financial news network has 5 articles about the dubai debt issue the 2 main (and censored) UAE newspapers (GN and Khaleej) are more interested in photos of the ruling families offering eid prayers than the fact that Dubai just imploded.
I didn't even know where it was in 2004, which makes it even worse!
Old Nov 27th 2009, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

AppleMac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: For the financial experts (and the rest of you too): Dubai defaults on debt (sort

Originally Posted by TA5
You overestimate the willingness of AD to fork over the roughly 60 BILLION that dubai needs to come up with.
they dont need to - it doesn't matter to them if Nakheel default (most of their debt is held by European banks) and as Nakheel is the majority of the countries debt then waiting for them to collapse and then stepping in and buying out the remaining debt is quite a smart financial move.

I would also just point out that AD has Billions invested in Dubai - the people of AD are not going to be happy to see their life savings disappear down the swanee if the Federal Government refuses to help.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 7:03 pm
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TA5
If you look back through my posts i've been predicting this since 2004

Edit. I find it rather ironic, and fitting, that when every major financial news network has 5 articles about the dubai debt issue the 2 main (and censored) UAE newspapers (GN and Khaleej) are more interested in photos of the ruling families offering eid prayers than the fact that Dubai just imploded.
I have to agree with TA5, everything that has happened, he foretold years ago.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 8:21 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Stocks are down?

Fantastic...time to buy lots on the cheap again like 12 months ago. Go for stock in sustainable basics and necessities and sit back and wait till it goes up again...medium to long term.

That's why people like Warren Buffett are Billionaires and all the day and short term traders and jumping off buildings

N.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AppleMac
they dont need to - it doesn't matter to them if Nakheel default (most of their debt is held by European banks) and as Nakheel is the majority of the countries debt then waiting for them to collapse and then stepping in and buying out the remaining debt is quite a smart financial move.

I would also just point out that AD has Billions invested in Dubai - the people of AD are not going to be happy to see their life savings disappear down the swanee if the Federal Government refuses to help.
ADCB has an "insignificant" exposure of $1.9b to Dubai World...
Old Nov 28th 2009, 4:38 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
I have to agree with TA5, everything that has happened, he foretold years ago.
totally agree TA5 has been consistent with his prediction of the downfall of the economy in Dubai.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 4:39 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieG
ADCB has an "insignificant" exposure of $1.9b to Dubai World...
which will be covered by the Federal government of AD
(I guess)
Old Nov 28th 2009, 9:27 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I just don't see AD allowing Dubai to fully fail financially. The knock-on effect would be too great. Perhaps the Al Nayans are waiting to take over & run Dubai as a complete entity? Perhaps?

-
Old Nov 28th 2009, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
I just don't see AD allowing Dubai to fully fail financially. The knock-on effect would be too great. Perhaps the Al Nayans are waiting to take over & run Dubai as a complete entity? Perhaps?

-
I really hope they don't allow Dubai to fail - http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ow/5279242.cms
Old Nov 28th 2009, 9:34 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieG
I really hope they don't allow Dubai to fail - http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ow/5279242.cms

That makes sense. We have all been talking about AD allegedly buying up bits of Dubai cheaply and it seems logical that they would continue to do so. That makes good long-term financial sense for them and they keep their 'good' reputation. My guess is that AD will do just enough to keep Dubai afloat.

-
Old Nov 28th 2009, 10:35 am
Concierge

AD have said they will review each project individually, they will bail out anything related to the infrastructure of the UAE but none of his 'visions'. (that's my opinion)
Old Nov 28th 2009, 1:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
AD have said they will review each project individually, they will bail out anything related to the infrastructure of the UAE but none of his 'visions'. (that's my opinion)
A reasonably balanced article from the Indie:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...o-1829865.html

Sub-text - yes, it's bad but it isn't an apocalypse.... Might be a good thing to lose a few trailer-trash expats, even....
Old Nov 28th 2009, 6:04 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

-
Dubai will be a car park for AD when all the AD Government Deptss move out to KCB&KCC.....Okay a bit cynical but I am.
Meow what do you see as the knock on effect if AD walked away?
Old Nov 28th 2009, 6:24 pm
Is not impressed...

Aikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really niceAikman7981 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I saw this on the crawl of Sky News (over and over again). What is the source? I was in Muscat so I'm a little behind here.

The blurb on Sky made it sound like AD was going to bulldoze Ibn Battuta tomorrow.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

That makes sense. We have all been talking about AD allegedly buying up bits of Dubai cheaply and it seems logical that they would continue to do so. That makes good long-term financial sense for them and they keep their 'good' reputation. My guess is that AD will do just enough to keep Dubai afloat.

-
i have a mate convinced AD's border will move north to include Jebel Ali and the closure of the Eppco stations just over the border prove that *

*according to him

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.