Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

For the financial experts (and the rest of you too): Dubai defaults on debt (sort of)

For the financial experts (and the rest of you too): Dubai defaults on debt (sort of)

Old Dec 16th 2009, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

spart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud of
Default Re: For the financial experts (and the rest of you too): Dubai defaults on debt (sort

Originally Posted by BurpusMe
Spart - google those two names.
I have been reading about the two families now for over 15 months. You made it sound like you knew something that the rest of us didnt...
Old Dec 16th 2009, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For the financial experts (and the rest of you too): Dubai defaults on debt (sort

Originally Posted by spart
I have been reading about the two families now for over 15 months. You made it sound like you knew something that the rest of us didnt...
You made it sound like you didn't know something that the rest of us do.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 3:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieG
Another point, though am not very sure, doesn't ADIA's charter mandates that all of its funds must be invested outside the UAE/Gulf?
Correct, ADIA is the offshore stuff, ADIC is the regional stuff.
Old Dec 16th 2009, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

spart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BurpusMe
You made it sound like you didn't know something that the rest of us do.
Muppet.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 4:30 am
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

Muppet.
He called me a name - I'm gutted!
Old Dec 17th 2009, 6:35 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Link here...

Oh dear... Now ADIA wants to renege on a deal...
Old Dec 17th 2009, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly, I wanna say I am a noob when it comes to how the financial world works.

Ok, now I got a question about whether Abu Dhabi could have exploited the dismal situation of Dubai World and Nakheel shares and bonds.

Since Abu Dhabi was the one providing the bailout, they would have known that this would lead to a rise in DW shares and Nakheel bonds. So wouldn't they have used this insider knowledge to buy up DW shares and bonds when they were at their most distressed state then just wait for it to go up after the bailout?

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1781...medium=twitter
Dubai Story Reeks of Insider Trading

Three weeks ago, as we were eating turkey, Dubai blew itself up. Quite deliberately. It caused quite a hiccup. Now the problem seems to have been solved thanks to some bailout money from the ‘family’ in Abu Dhabi.

This sounds like the plot of a movie. It’s got all the pieces for a ‘hit’. Intrigue, big money, great location shots (London/Dubai/the desert), the characters are investment bankers, local politicians, Clifford Chance lawyers and Iranian investors. The Iran connection brings in the CIA and therefore the opportunity for high-tech surveillance and gunplay. The necessary sex/romance angles are there.

But this is not the movies. This is the crazy real world. A month ago Nakheel bonds were trading at 110%. They fell below 40 cents two weeks ago. This morning the bonds were trading north of 70. Some of the bonds look to be paid at par.

That is enormous price action in a very short period of time. The opportunity to make money on both the downside and the upside was there. Another way to have played the Nakheel bond story was through the CDS market. Pricing in that market mirrored the action for the bonds. Very big bucks were made and lost as this played out.

To take advantage of this one would have had to have been an insider. No outsider could have sold high and bought low. So the question is how many insiders were there on this deal? My guess: A few thousand.

This deal stinks. It was mishandled from the get go. The critical announcements were made while the U.S. was on holiday. That was not a coincidence. This was orchestrated. If something like this happened with debt securities listed on the NYSE the SEC would be all over it.

This stuff is being played out on a very big stage. Caveat Emptor.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 7:55 am
Banned

AlmostPregnant is a name known to allAlmostPregnant is a name known to allAlmostPregnant is a name known to allAlmostPregnant is a name known to allAlmostPregnant is a name known to allAlmostPregnant is a name known to allAlmostPregnant is a name known to allAlmostPregnant is a name known to allAlmostPregnant is a name known to allAlmostPregnant is a name known to allAlmostPregnant is a name known to all

I got an interesting comment yesterday: Abu Dhabi waited for Dubai to humiliate itself admitting the default, and only afterwards came to help. Curious.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 10:55 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlmostPregnant
I got an interesting comment yesterday: Abu Dhabi waited for Dubai to humiliate itself admitting the default, and only afterwards came to help. Curious.
Pretty sure there is some truth to that.. Can see the Nahyans wanting to watch Mo eat some humble pie...