Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Financial Advisors

Financial Advisors

Old Feb 16th 2011, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Financial Advisors

Serious Q

How do Financial Advisors usually charge? Is it quite transparent and 'by the hour' like sols or do they get a fee per investment taken as payment?
Old Feb 16th 2011, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

zaaboot is a jewel in the roughzaaboot is a jewel in the roughzaaboot is a jewel in the roughzaaboot is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
I would suggest contacting Meow in these forums or one of the people in our Dubai office if she has already issued a restraining order on you for stalking

N.

Stalking your potential new IFA is the only way
Old Feb 16th 2011, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saudiflares
Serious Q

How do Financial Advisors usually charge? Is it quite transparent and 'by the hour' like sols or do they get a fee per investment taken as payment?
that's the rub... they will rarely every tell you.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
that's the rub... they will rarely every tell you.
Actually, of the few I have met (here and in UK), most do tell you if you ask - and those I've met over here have told me up front that they work on commission. The trick is to check, as you go, what commission they get on each plan they are suggesting, and to find trustworthy IFAs by asking around colleagues, friends etc. You'll have noticed that Meow is regularly recommended on this board, though who knows if she is paying commission for all those recommendations...!
Old Feb 16th 2011, 11:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by archie159
Actually, of the few I have met (here and in UK), most do tell you if you ask - and those I've met over here have told me up front that they work on commission. The trick is to check, as you go, what commission they get on each plan they are suggesting, and to find trustworthy IFAs by asking around colleagues, friends etc. You'll have noticed that Meow is regularly recommended on this board, though who knows if she is paying commission for all those recommendations...!
ah, but Meow is special

The issue is those that sell long term plans. Ask them to explain their commission structure. Few will be able to, and even fewer be willing to...
Old Feb 16th 2011, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

mabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nice

Meow has been very helpful to us so far and we are having a meeting with her next week in Dubai. She seems very professional
Old Feb 20th 2011, 9:07 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

No I don't pay for recommendations

Also, for the record, I will work on either a commission or fee basis, depending on the circumstances and what a client wants.

Emirates Millhouse - special??!! That can be taken so many ways...
Old Mar 1st 2011, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

slimfynn is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, i'm new to the forum but not new to finacial advice and I found this thread very interesting. I am a UK qualified financial planner (cert pfs) for 6 years and here working in dubai, 2 years.
I just wanted to clear up one point here about commission. In the UK the advisor must tell the client how much you will earn from whatever plan you go ahead with, the FSA is very clear on that and obviously if the client is not happy there is a certain amount of recourse available to them.

The UAE is a unregulated, as mentioned before, and to get good financial advice must seem a millions miles away to any person without the right financial background. They key to finding a good advisor in the UAE is simple.
Recommendations from others are always good but you must go one step further.

Educate yourself.

Has the company i'm dealing with got both licenses
1. Licenced and regulated by UAE bank
2.Licenced and regulated by ministry of economy
(this means you have a certain amount of recourse if you are not happy)

If the advisor cannot educate you to understand everything about the product so that you are comfort with it, get a second opinion.
Problem is that the long savings plans are misrepresented and clients are being led down a road in which they never would have gone. (which is access to their money)

ALWAYS ASK QUESTIONS.....if you understand and it matches your needs it then go ahead. If you don't go to step 1 above

Advisors here are not obliged to say how much they will earn from a product, its normally paid by product providers anyway and the commission is very much the same from provider to provider, if they really wanted to know i would tell them but this would make no difference. The commission paid would cost the client the same if he/she did it on her own (thats why you have a professional do it for you)
I hope this helps a little
Old Mar 1st 2011, 5:41 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slimfynn
Hi, i'm new to the forum but not new to finacial advice and I found this thread very interesting. I am a UK qualified financial planner (cert pfs) for 6 years and here working in dubai, 2 years.
I just wanted to clear up one point here about commission. In the UK the advisor must tell the client how much you will earn from whatever plan you go ahead with, the FSA is very clear on that and obviously if the client is not happy there is a certain amount of recourse available to them.

The UAE is a unregulated, as mentioned before, and to get good financial advice must seem a millions miles away to any person without the right financial background. They key to finding a good advisor in the UAE is simple.
Recommendations from others are always good but you must go one step further.

Educate yourself.

Has the company i'm dealing with got both licenses
1. Licenced and regulated by UAE bank
2.Licenced and regulated by ministry of economy
(this means you have a certain amount of recourse if you are not happy)

If the advisor cannot educate you to understand everything about the product so that you are comfort with it, get a second opinion.
Problem is that the long savings plans are misrepresented and clients are being led down a road in which they never would have gone. (which is access to their money)

ALWAYS ASK QUESTIONS.....if you understand and it matches your needs it then go ahead. If you don't go to step 1 above

Advisors here are not obliged to say how much they will earn from a product, its normally paid by product providers anyway and the commission is very much the same from provider to provider, if they really wanted to know i would tell them but this would make no difference. The commission paid would cost the client the same if he/she did it on her own (thats why you have a professional do it for you)
I hope this helps a little
Nice one slim. Very helpful and honest.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 5:44 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

I can vouch for Meow.

Very knowledgeable, helpful, honest, trustworthy and personable to boot!

Oh yes, and classy!
Old Mar 1st 2011, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

mabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nicemabsy is just really nice

i thought Meow was great when me saw her last week so she gets another vote here.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 3:26 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Norm and Meow are recommended by me and my family. (not that that makes a jot of difference, we aint exactly posh and becks)

but i have dealt with them both and they are fantastic.

guys, deposit the cash in the usual place, cheers.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 4:14 am
Just Joined

as long as you are happy with your products and they meet your objectives everything is fine with the advisor.....peace of mind goes a long way but a 25 year savings plan goes painfully even longer!!!

Last edited by slimfynn; Mar 2nd 2011 at 4:23 am.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 4:33 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by commander
Norm and Meow are recommended by me and my family. (not that that makes a jot of difference, we aint exactly posh and becks)

but i have dealt with them both and they are fantastic.

guys, deposit the cash in the usual place, cheers.
Thanks great you've taken professional help not a lot people do unfortunately...i always say, If saving is the objective over 5, 10 15 years then why not take as much time researching where to put your money to the same time you want to save it
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 4:36 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slimfynn
as long as you are happy with your products and they meet your objectives everything is fine with the advisor.....peace of mind goes a long way but a 25 year savings plan goes painfully even longer!!!
The advisers that post regularly on this board do not arrange 25 year savings plans. Some of us even offer a choice of commissions or fees.

And central bank licences (which have not been available for years) are more for stockbrokers. Most IFA firms here are correctly licenced by the Ministry of Economy and as required by law have substantial professional indemnity insurance and a very large deposit with the Insurance Authority.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.