Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

The Finance/Savings/Investments Thread...

The Finance/Savings/Investments Thread...

Old May 23rd 2008, 1:06 pm
Banned

Old Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: The Finance/Savings/Investments Thread...

Originally Posted by ScotsExpat
I am in the position of being paid in the UK tax-free, but am about to move out here full time. My employer has stated because I am being 'seconded' to the ME, I still have to be paid in the UK, because that is where my contract is based.

Can anyone advise on banks that can handle the idea of a monthly transfer from a UK branch to a UAE branch, that wont screw there nose up and tell me how much its gonna cost me in SWIFT charges???
Use BACS it is cheaper (free?)

Contract law is not tax law and there is no reason why they cannot pay you offshore if you really are non-resident for tax purposes. I'm impressed that you are paid tax free in the UK too!! Well done.

Do you know what I recommend - just go there every now and again and take 7 or 8 K out of the bank - declare it to customs and change is at your leisure. I do it the other way round because I can't be arsed with transferring money.
Old May 25th 2008, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

I have 2 quick questions:

I am paid in GBP from my office in Singapore direct into my offshore account, Every now and then i will transfer 'living money' so to speak into my local UAE AED current accout. Both accounts are HSBC. What is the cheapest way of doing this?

also i have a one off transfer of approx 150K AED that i need to either place in my offshore account or my RBOS account back home.

What is the cheapest way of doing this?

cheers
Old May 25th 2008, 6:50 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

where is Meow when you need her, I know she knows of a way to transfer amounts of over 10,000 Sterling very very cheaply. PM her AA
Old May 25th 2008, 7:54 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad
I have 2 quick questions:

I am paid in GBP from my office in Singapore direct into my offshore account, Every now and then i will transfer 'living money' so to speak into my local UAE AED current accout. Both accounts are HSBC. What is the cheapest way of doing this?

also i have a one off transfer of approx 150K AED that i need to either place in my offshore account or my RBOS account back home.

What is the cheapest way of doing this?

cheers
AA - I think you have my work email. Drop me a line & I'll give you details of a much cheaper way to transfer your Dirhams to another currency. Guaranteed.

Aslo assuming yo have set all your HSBC accounts (Premier?) up so you can do transers online, you are not supposed to be explicitly charged for transfers between any HSBC accounts for amounts over (I think) GBP 2,000.

Old May 25th 2008, 8:50 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
thanks for the warning, i'll tell him not to wait with baited breath then...

MM, xx
What? breathing over a mouthful of worms?

'tis bated breath !!
Old May 25th 2008, 10:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MacScot
What? breathing over a mouthful of worms?

'tis bated breath !!
oh, i do know how to spell it correctly, but thanks for pointing out my mistake, oh board spelling chief...

MM, xx
Old May 25th 2008, 10:40 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

oh, i do know how to spell it correctly, but thanks for pointing out my mistake, oh board spelling chief...

MM, xx
I was caught out last year with the same spelling mistake as yours - the reply is the exact one that I received !!
Old May 25th 2008, 12:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

I was caught out last year with the same spelling mistake as yours - the reply is the exact one that I received !!
lol, ok, i'll let you off...btw, you don't know anything about sea monkeys do you?

MM, xx
Old May 25th 2008, 12:48 pm
A bubbly-jock...

lol, ok, i'll let you off...btw, you don't know anything about sea monkeys do you?

MM, xx
Off hand, I think they are a species of brine shrimp that are sold in novelty shops for kids to watch them hatch and grow in an aquarium. Em tasol.
Old May 25th 2008, 12:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Off hand, I think they are a species of brine shrimp that are sold in novelty shops for kids to watch them hatch and grow in an aquarium. Em tasol.
yeah they are...i've got some questions i can't find the answers to, thought you might know, no probs...!

MM, xx
Old May 25th 2008, 12:51 pm
A bubbly-jock...

yeah they are...i've got some questions i can't find the answers to, thought you might know, no probs...!

MM, xx
Fire ahead!
Old May 25th 2008, 12:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fire ahead!
maybe i better pm them and not hijack this thread, lol...

MM, xx
Old May 25th 2008, 12:53 pm
A bubbly-jock...

maybe i better pm them and not hijack this thread, lol...

MM, xx
No worries, probably best.
Old May 25th 2008, 8:33 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Confucius
Oh well...

I've been in a savings/insurance scheme for the past 5 years already...It is supposed to be a 30 year thing, coupled with life insurance as well...The fund that I initially started with was underperforming; 3% gains in a period of 3 years and my advisor wasn't following up on it or alerting me to change the fund...About 7 months ago, I adopted a more aggressive approach and axed the old fund and introduced new funds, still not very good what with the credit situation in the US and all...So I added a third fund which has performed extremely well in the past 4 years... But, i cannot find any info on that fund on the net...
Does the FA have exclusivity on the information regarding those funds???
If you PM me the fund details and which savings product you have I'll get the info for you...I'm a UAE based IFA but I prefer the term money doctor myself

FA's do not have exclusivity on fund information...

N.

Last edited by Norm_uk; May 25th 2008 at 8:39 pm.
Old May 25th 2008, 8:41 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScotsExpat
I am in the position of being paid in the UK tax-free, but am about to move out here full time. My employer has stated because I am being 'seconded' to the ME, I still have to be paid in the UK, because that is where my contract is based.

Can anyone advise on banks that can handle the idea of a monthly transfer from a UK branch to a UAE branch, that wont screw there nose up and tell me how much its gonna cost me in SWIFT charges???
PM me and I'll give you the contact details of a good offshore bank.

N.