Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Finally arrived... and need some mobile/computer advice!

Finally arrived... and need some mobile/computer advice!

Old Apr 2nd 2005, 6:40 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Finally arrived... and need some mobile/computer advice!

Well, I'm finally here in Dubai, had my medical test (waiting on the results - no reason I can think of why I should worry, but I guess you never know!) and I start work tomorrow (Sunday).

I've got a couple of questions that will hopefully make life easier (and cheaper) in the short term : firstly, does anyone know if and where I can get a local SIM card for my mobile before I get my visa stamp? I'm still using my Orange one at the moment. If I got a pay-as-you-go one, would I be able to make/receive international calls with it, and once I have residency, would I be able to switch to a pay-monthly account and keep the PAYG number?

Secondly, a bit of a long shot here, but does anyone know if it's possible to use AIM or iChat via the DataValet high-speed internet service offered by hotels? I've tried connecting and it keeps refusing, but I haven't been able to ascertain whether that's because I need to change the config or because DataValet simply blocks access to them.
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 7:29 am

Heart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finally arrived... and need some mobile/computer advice!

Originally Posted by GarethR
Well, I'm finally here in Dubai, had my medical test (waiting on the results - no reason I can think of why I should worry, but I guess you never know!) and I start work tomorrow (Sunday).

I've got a couple of questions that will hopefully make life easier (and cheaper) in the short term : firstly, does anyone know if and where I can get a local SIM card for my mobile before I get my visa stamp? I'm still using my Orange one at the moment. If I got a pay-as-you-go one, would I be able to make/receive international calls with it, and once I have residency, would I be able to switch to a pay-monthly account and keep the PAYG number?

Secondly, a bit of a long shot here, but does anyone know if it's possible to use AIM or iChat via the DataValet high-speed internet service offered by hotels? I've tried connecting and it keeps refusing, but I haven't been able to ascertain whether that's because I need to change the config or because DataValet simply blocks access to them.

Hi Gareth .... Can't help you Im afraid, though Im sure there is bound to be one or two folk that will be able to.

Welcome to the site, have sent you some Karma!

Heart
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 7:13 am
The Delivery Man...

Nabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud of

yes u can get a PAYG SIM before u get your Visa stamped and you can make int'l calls and recv the same.

If you get a pay monthly account, u still can keep your PAYG SIM

Hope this helps
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 7:51 am

Heart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nabs
yes u can get a PAYG SIM before u get your Visa stamped and you can make int'l calls and recv the same.

If you get a pay monthly account, u still can keep your PAYG SIM

Hope this helps

Thanks for the Karma Nabs! How are you?
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 7:58 am
The Delivery Man...

Nabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud ofNabs has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Heart of gold
Thanks for the Karma Nabs! How are you?
I'm surviving, what about you?
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by Nabs
I'm surviving, what about you?

Surviving? Im well thanks, and enjoying my time away catchin up with family and close freinds
Old Apr 4th 2005, 7:15 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by GarethR

Hiya Gareth. Welcome to Dubai!

Sim cards are really simple to sort out. Just pay a visit to your nearest Etisalat office or Al Khaleej Centre in Bur Dubai and they can give you your pay as you go sim. I believe that some of the larger supermarkets also have pay as you go sims now.

Gonna have to admit that your second q is too technical, even for me. lol.
Perhaps it has something to do with the HiFi access offered by most hotels?

Have just PM'd you.