Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Finally arrive in Riyadh

Finally arrive in Riyadh

Old Feb 5th 2009, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

mcmonkiez is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finally arrive in Riyadh

Well arrive in riyadh.. and so far its all going good .

dfay i arrive.. as in my contract i have to have my own housing untill i can live in temp housing in the compound of my employer.

the compound was really good and security and stuff.

then i dont feel like at all lving outside the compound or a private housing..

went to Hr i said i am going to resign if i dont give housing in the compound as mrs not agree and blah blah blah..

hand my resign letter say give me exit visa..which they have agreed in writing exit visa no prob i can have that with in 2 days if i dont want to work..

next day got a phone call saying what can we do to help you and u can stay i said sort housing in the compound and thats it.

i will be very happy to stay leaving comfortable life in uk and coming here not easy.. so

well they ask me to wait and will try to sort and help you as much as we can so ..

if no housing i guess going back to uk and start my old job no losing out incase if no housing will be provided...

but so far work enviroment and work is great..

Riyadh is nice place like... shopping malls, and other place.. not bad.

planning to go out with few of my family members , passing time playing xbox online.. start downloading moves via utorrent net speed not bad i am getting 10MBPS from Awalnet

keeping me busy...

well thanks folks all the info which was provided few weeks ago ..

speak to you all soon..

keep you posted.

McMonkiez.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 1:50 pm
Account Closed

Shadya is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Finally arrive in Riyadh

If you are threatening to resign on Day One, how can you say that it looks good so far? Obviously a secure compound is nice but not essential, surely?
Old Feb 5th 2009, 2:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mcmonkiez
Well arrive in riyadh.. and so far its all going good .

dfay i arrive.. as in my contract i have to have my own housing untill i can live in temp housing in the compound of my employer.

the compound was really good and security and stuff.

then i dont feel like at all lving outside the compound or a private housing..

went to Hr i said i am going to resign if i dont give housing in the compound as mrs not agree and blah blah blah..

hand my resign letter say give me exit visa..which they have agreed in writing exit visa no prob i can have that with in 2 days if i dont want to work..

next day got a phone call saying what can we do to help you and u can stay i said sort housing in the compound and thats it.

i will be very happy to stay leaving comfortable life in uk and coming here not easy.. so

well they ask me to wait and will try to sort and help you as much as we can so ..

if no housing i guess going back to uk and start my old job no losing out incase if no housing will be provided...

but so far work enviroment and work is great..

Riyadh is nice place like... shopping malls, and other place.. not bad.

planning to go out with few of my family members , passing time playing xbox online.. start downloading moves via utorrent net speed not bad i am getting 10MBPS from Awalnet

keeping me busy...

well thanks folks all the info which was provided few weeks ago ..

speak to you all soon..

keep you posted.

McMonkiez.
Good luck.........

Remind me - at which school will you be teaching English??
Old Feb 5th 2009, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like another spoilt brit who thinks they know it all.
yes i have only been in Riyadh also a few days.
but before that nearly 4 years in Taif, the summer capital of ksa.
i am at this time, not in a compound living in a flat in the city centre.
i have never felt threatened or unsafe in the 14 years i have been in the middle east (kuwait, bahrain, yemen, emirates and saudi.)
i am the only westen person in my work place every one has made me feel very wel come.
Maybe i may try living in a compound one day. but then its more like a little britain type of place.
sooo many people come over to saudi(ie) and then see nothing of the place apart from the daily life in a westen compound.
hey just my ten hal laaa's worth.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The Dean
Good luck.........

Remind me - at which school will you be teaching English??

not english .. try my best to teach something else which you dont wanna know.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 3:33 pm
same shit different day

Slingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shadya
If you are threatening to resign on Day One, how can you say that it looks good so far? Obviously a secure compound is nice but not essential, surely?
well he should have agreed it from the outset but I personally don't blame him for making such a demand. happy wife = happy life

coffindodger - good to hear you feel safe there. would be great to keep us posted on life in Saudi as you find your feet
Old Feb 5th 2009, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Shadya
true but they need me in the job and i am playing my cards very well..

and wife is the BOSS ..and my family is most important then anything else..

its not about secure compound only

its about good place for family where my wife and kids feel secure and enjoy plus all the school transportation will be taken care by my employer and shopping trips by employer to shopping centers alot fo stuff can be resolve..

all the other places are quite full.

.. and they got to sort it out if not i have already another job safe on my other hand...