Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

A few questions on Saudi contract

A few questions on Saudi contract

Old Jan 20th 2004, 10:23 am
Just Joined

patersc1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A few questions on Saudi contract

Currently negotiating contract to work in Saudi - working for a company that works exclusively for Aramco. There are a couple of things I'm not sure about:

end-of-service benefit: they say 10 days for 5 years, then 15; based on COMPLETE YEARS, i.e. not pro-rata throughout the year.
1) I thought the 'Saudi standard' was 10days/20days?
2) Is the 'complete years' bit standard?

Visas - they say that they would probably bring me in on a visit visa and then do all the paperwork for work visa in Saudi.

1) Until I have a work visa I can't have multiple entry/exit visa?
2) or a bank account?
3) or ???
4) I have to leave after one month?
5) go back to UK to get work visa? How long does that take? Must I stay in the UK until I get it or do I go back to Saudi on another visit visa?

Thanks
Old Jan 20th 2004, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

Nevi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A few questions on Saudi contract

Visas - they say that they would probably bring me in on a visit visa and then do all the paperwork for work visa in Saudi.

1) Until I have a work visa I can't have multiple entry/exit visa?
2) or a bank account?
3) or ???
4) I have to leave after one month?
5) go back to UK to get work visa? How long does that take? Must I stay in the UK until I get it or do I go back to Saudi on another visit visa?

Thanks [/QUOTE]

I'm not at all sure about standard contracts in Saudi. However, from what I remember of Aramco, the complete years was the norm - am not absolutely certain on that though.
With regard to starting on a visit visa. The company that I currently work for does this for all placements in the Middle East. Then when you are here, you can get the paperwork done more quickly - it normally entails going with the 'office fixer' to the various departments for health checks, form filling etc.
Being on a visit visa does mean that there may be issues with regard to setting up bank accounts etc until you have change to a work/resident visa. In order to do this change you may have to leave the country and come back in (doing a visa run - probably to Bahrain if you are based in the Eastern Province). Bahrain can be driven to across the causeway, rather than having to get a flight, so it is quite straight forward. This is not uncommon and the company you will be working for will probably have standard procedures regarding this. The company will probably be processing your work visa while you are there on a visit visa, so that there is minimal interruption to your work.
Robin.