a few questions

Old Dec 4th 2007, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

madscots will become famous soon enoughmadscots will become famous soon enough
Default a few questions

hi there,

what do you think is it easier bringing my own furniture over or just as cheap buying new in dubai. i will be getting an allowance to ship or furniture over there (circa £5k).

bank accounts for pay, how best to do it, UK account or a local account.

thanks again.

alan
Old Dec 4th 2007, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: a few questions

Are you paid in AED or GBP?

I would recommend opening both an offshore account and a local one. Get paid into the offshore one and transfer your beer tokens into the local one.

There are lots of ok furniture places around here mate (despite what some may say)

Depends of course how much you want to spend
Old Dec 4th 2007, 5:01 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

well....if the shipping is paid for anyway...bring it over if you like the stuff...
in our case, we took everything with us, but the house here being much bigger than back home, I had to buy things here as well...I'd say prices are roughly the same as in Europe...there are cheap furniture stores and top of the range ones...and everything in between, so that will not be a problem.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

madscots will become famous soon enoughmadscots will become famous soon enough

hi there,
would be getting paid in AED. which banks do offshore?

we would poss bring over a few things - tv and the like but get the bulk over there dependant on the size of place we get.

thanks
Old Dec 4th 2007, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

HSBC international do an offshore account.

There are a few financial types on here, so im sure they will advise a bit better than me.

Thats what i do anyway (pay offshore and transfer)

I think the key is to have as little money as possible in the UAE accounts...

It is the middle east after all!!
Old Dec 4th 2007, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by madscots
hi there,

we would poss bring over a few things - tv and the like but get the bulk over there dependant on the size of place we get.

thanks
thats a good idea mate, there is not shortage of household goods or electrical appliance stores here.

Not like it was 15 years ago when Dubai was the cheap place for electronic goods, i would put it on a comparison with the UK for most things

good luck
Old Dec 5th 2007, 3:29 am
Banned

Dago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to behold

five k is a huge allowance and the cost of shipping a container will be half of that if there is a toothpick or a household in it. So there is the balance. The compromise is airfreight at about 6.5 pounds per kg (sorry - don't have a sterling symbol on the ckeyboard) plus 100 quid either end or half of that for sea freight plus plus. - as a rough est.

I airfreighted a few personal goods and used my allowance to buy the rest - stuff is cheap in GCC countries.

It may be worth taking a long weekend here just to check out the options as well.

If you are looking to save your allowance then seafreight the select stuff and get a skip for 120 and bin the rest. After all you are moving into a new life.