Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

A Family Move to Dubai

A Family Move to Dubai

Old Mar 3rd 2008, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

lochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud of
Smile A Family Move to Dubai

Hi all,
My first post on the forum so I apologise in advance that its all questions.

My wife and I are researching a move to Dubai after many visits. I'm an IT Consultant and she is a Dentist (BDS Glas UK qualified with 5 years exp). We also have a 18month old daughter.

I guess my first question is what is a realistic expectation of potential earnings for a Snr IT consultant (10yrs experience) and equally what are the potential earnings for a dentist? These are my biggest questions.

I've been offered a position with one firm offering me Dh27K per month. The package does not include a housing allowance but does include flights, health, life and school fees.

I followed another post of a single guy with interest and the debate over whether his Dh27ish/month was enough. We'd like to stay somewhere with either easy beach access or pool. Equally my wife is likely to work in either Healthcare city or jumeirah (from the discussions she's had so far).

I have costs for housing, utilities etc but what about Car insurance, Home insurance, Cable TV etc Are there any hidden costs like Municipality tax which I can see being paid on housing but does it apply elsewhere?

Many thanks in advance for your feedback.
Daz
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Family Move to Dubai

Originally Posted by lochdaz-of-blantyre
Hi all,

My wife and I are researching a move to Dubai after many visits. I'm an IT Consultant and she is a Dentist (BDS Glas UK qualified with 5 years exp). We also have a 18month old daughter.

I guess my first question is what is a realistic expectation of potential earnings for a Snr IT consultant (10yrs experience) and equally what are the potential earnings for a dentist? These are my biggest questions.

I've been offered a position with one firm offering me Dh27K per month. The package does not include a housing allowance but does include flights, health, life and school fees.

I followed another post of a single guy with interest and the debate over whether his Dh27ish/month was enough. We'd like to stay somewhere with either easy beach access or pool. Equally my wife is likely to work in either Healthcare city or jumeirah (from the discussions she's had so far).

I have costs for housing, utilities etc but what about Car insurance, Home insurance, Cable TV etc Are there any hidden costs like Municipality tax which I can see being paid on housing but does it apply elsewhere?

Daz
if your wife gets a similar deal then fine...I think if it was your salary alone you will struggle.

*awaits to be berated again*

depends if you want to live or survive..
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 1:38 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly why are your company not offering your a housing allowance?? I am sure that you are aware of the costs of rents. You say that 27k includes various things - does that mean you have to pay for schooling etc out of the 27k or it is 27k + these.

Dentists - I honestly don't have clue what package a Dentist would get, but if she is offered any packages feel free to come back and run them by us. Healthcare here does not offer the same salaries as the UK unless you own the practice.

I agree with AA - your salary alone may well be a struggle.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

lochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud oflochdaz-of-blantyre has much to be proud of

Thanks for the feedback folks.

The Dh27000 is the basic. Over and above this they are paying for School/Nursery fees, Flight Tickets for us all, Medical Plan for family, Life insurance for me, and a annual Housing assistance plan of approx 29000K...I guess to help with Utilities etc.

So basically the 27000 would have to cover Rent etc and with this being Dh150K plus per year for the ones we like, my thinking is its not enough.

We absolutely want to "live" and not just "survive". I think however unless the package my wife is offered is outstanding I'll have to keep looking. Still, not bad for a first offer.

Cheers,
Daz
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 1:58 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

now if they had thrown in 150k housing your would have been flying! I think I would wait until your wife gets something and then consider the move, you know what figures are needed which is most than most new posters so I can't see you having any problems. Good luck with it all.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

I wish they had offered a housing package.

Can I ask some other question to the forum?
  • How much is petrol?
  • Do cars need to be taxed like in the UK? If so how much is this annually?
  • Can anyone provide an example of Home insurance costs for a 3 bed apartment/villa?
  • I found a price with Showtime of 299Dhs for the Platinum TV package, are they the only providers of Satelite/cable?
  • Do appartment prices as advertised e.g.150-200K for 3 bed in Jumeriah Palm/Marina etc include any utilities and is the figure usually exclusive of 5%tax?
  • Do apartments/villas have to pay factoring fees like in the UK for maintenance of common areas?

Again thanks in advance...
Daz
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 3:44 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

It's possible that your wife could face problems. A friend of ours is a highly-qualified dentist from Germany who had her own practice there until she moved to Dubai with her husband; it turns out that in order to practice dentistry here, you have to pass an official test set by the Dubai Ministry of Health, irrespective of how well-qualified you may be in your own country.

This test is notoriously difficult for women to pass, you have to pay a non-trivial amount to take it, and if you fail, you have to wait 12 months before you can take it again. It all sounds ridiculous, but unfortunately, that's just the way it is.

Our friend has tried three times to pass, and failed each time - so that's three years gone. She's had no alternative but to divide her time between Germany (where she can actually earn money as a dentist) and Dubai. As far as she can ascertain, her repeated failures are nothing to do with her actual competency as a dentist - and she's heard the same from other women in the same position as her.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

We've heard a few stories of the MOH exam. The cost is only 100Dhs however there are then Admin fees for issuing the resulting license.

We have also heard however from a well respected Heathcare city contact that there are 14 countries that are exempt from requiring to sit the exam as long as qualifications are attested. Hoping Uk is on the list.

Cheers,
Daz

Originally Posted by Eeyore
It's possible that your wife could face problems. A friend of ours is a highly-qualified dentist from Germany who had her own practice there until she moved to Dubai with her husband; it turns out that in order to practice dentistry here, you have to pass an official test set by the Dubai Ministry of Health, irrespective of how well-qualified you may be in your own country.

This test is notoriously difficult for women to pass, you have to pay a non-trivial amount to take it, and if you fail, you have to wait 12 months before you can take it again. It all sounds ridiculous, but unfortunately, that's just the way it is.

Our friend has tried three times to pass, and failed each time - so that's three years gone. She's had no alternative but to divide her time between Germany (where she can actually earn money as a dentist) and Dubai. As far as she can ascertain, her repeated failures are nothing to do with her actual competency as a dentist - and she's heard the same from other women in the same position as her.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 4:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eeyore

did your friend actually qualify in germany or just practice there?
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 5:07 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Both - she's German. From Dusseldorf.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 2:36 am
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lochdaz-of-blantyre
Hi all,

Daz

Perhaps your wife could apply to Emirates Airline for a dentist job. I'm not sure exactly what the salary is, but I don't think its fantastic but at least then you would have the housing allowance and other perks? Just a thought not even sure if they are recruiting but worth a look
Old Mar 4th 2008, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

How much is petrol?
really really cheap..(dont even know how much it costs but my 4x4 costs about 15Quid to fill.

Do cars need to be taxed like in the UK? If so how much is this annually?
They have to be re-registered annually..dont know how much this costs...wifes domain for the family 4x4. My works car is sorted out by them

Can anyone provide an example of Home insurance costs for a 3 bed apartment/villa?
Good question, Meow??

I found a price with Showtime of 299Dhs for the Platinum TV package, are they the only providers of Satelite/cable?
There is orbit also or E-vision from etisalat. they are all of the same, over priced pish.

Do appartment prices as advertised e.g.150-200K for 3 bed in Jumeriah Palm/Marina etc include any utilities and is the figure usually exclusive of 5%tax?
If you get a 3 bed for 150K in the Palm ill walk naked down the main trunk.Dont know about the 5% thing, my company sorts all that stuff.

Do apartments/villas have to pay factoring fees like in the UK for maintenance of common areas?
not sure, as above but i dont think there are any in my villa, i guess it depends on where you are..

Again thanks in advance...
prob havent helped you much, but there you go.

ps is High Blantyre not the posh part near bothwell?, just sell your house and buy the palm...
Old Mar 4th 2008, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

You make me laugh! Posh part! Well ok...its not too bad but its no Newton Mearns.

I'm now on a desperate hunt to find a 3 bed apartment on the palm trunk for 150K...oh and a SLR camera!!!

Sounds like I need to work for a company like yours, they certainly sound like they take care of you.

Daz

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad
really really cheap..(dont even know how much it costs but my 4x4 costs about 15Quid to fill.

They have to be re-registered annually..dont know how much this costs...wifes domain for the family 4x4. My works car is sorted out by them

Good question, Meow??

There is orbit also or E-vision from etisalat. they are all of the same, over priced pish.

If you get a 3 bed for 150K in the Palm ill walk naked down the main trunk.Dont know about the 5% thing, my company sorts all that stuff.

not sure, as above but i dont think there are any in my villa, i guess it depends on where you are..

prob havent helped you much, but there you go.

ps is High Blantyre not the posh part near bothwell?, just sell your house and buy the palm...
Old Mar 4th 2008, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

Trying to be a little bit more helpful than AR:

Petrol is about 6Dhs 50Fils a gallon (so, about 90p). Yes, that was gallon, not liter.

Car registration is an annual performance which costs about 350Dhs, plus about another 100 if the car is over 3 years old and needs a very basic MoT type test.

Showtime is probably the biggest satellite TV provider, Orbit is the next biggest. Both are rubbish but fortunately DVDs are cheap- especially the Chinese copies.

Contents insurance for a 2 bed and a study apartment is costing me 1,700Dhs a year.

The rent quoted does not include the 5% municipality "fee" (like council tax) which is automatically added to your electricity and water bill. Likewise it does not include the cost of electricity and water but may, for apartments, include the cost of air-conditioning which can be quite pricey in the summer. You will also have to pay the agent a fee of 5%. The tenant pays that here, not the landlord.

There is a maintenance fee for the common areas in apartments and freehold developments. Make sure this is included in the rent- it should be.

150,000 Dhs is about the going rate for a 2 bed apartment at the Greens or maybe Dubai Marina if you aren't bothered about the Marina View. 3 Beds would kick in at 180,000-200,000 plus.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 8:27 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

plus not forgetting any outstanding fines have to be paid when renewing your carregistration...that also goes for any other cars on your name that have fines even when you are not renewing/selling those...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.