Reload this Page >

Family of 4 - Riyadh

Family of 4 - Riyadh

Old Mar 25th 2024, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

Nathj28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Family of 4 - Riyadh

Hi All,

We're a family of 4 and potentially looking at a move to Riyadh if I formally receive an offer. We're currently doing our research on everything from culture to cost of living and wondered if anyone could give us some advice. So far we have estimated the below (SAR monty costs) based on a lot of what we have read, does this all seem reasonable?
Basic Salary: SAR 50,000/month

Expenses/month:
Rent - 8000 (non-compound but currently discussing)
Groceries - 4000
School Fees - 8300
Utilities - 700
Internet - 300
Mobile - covered
Travel/car - 1000
Entertainment/Eating Out - 2000
Mortgage back home - 5500
Family levy/ tax - 1200

Total Expenses: 30,800 SAR per month

Does this seem reasonable?The company benefits include healthcare cover (awaiting to understand if this is just me or the family), relocation fees, 2 flights per year, and tuition fees up to SAR 40k per child which I have accounted for above. I have also been told to expect to stay in Riyadh for 12 months and then relocate to Jeddah. Anything we need to consider with this in mind?

Is there anything else you feel we should consider?
Thanks for the replies.
Old Mar 31st 2024, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

beardysuhz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Family of 4 - Riyadh

Originally Posted by Nathj28
Hi All,

We're a family of 4 and potentially looking at a move to Riyadh if I formally receive an offer. We're currently doing our research on everything from culture to cost of living and wondered if anyone could give us some advice. So far we have estimated the below (SAR monty costs) based on a lot of what we have read, does this all seem reasonable?
Basic Salary: SAR 50,000/month

Expenses/month:
Rent - 8000 (non-compound but currently discussing)
Groceries - 4000
School Fees - 8300
Utilities - 700
Internet - 300
Mobile - covered
Travel/car - 1000
Entertainment/Eating Out - 2000
Family levy/ tax - 1200

Total Expenses: 30,800 SAR per month

Does this seem reasonable?The company benefits include healthcare cover (awaiting to understand if this is just me or the family), relocation fees, 2 flights per year, and tuition fees up to SAR 40k per child which I have accounted for above. I have also been told to expect to stay in Riyadh for 12 months and then relocate to Jeddah. Anything we need to consider with this in mind?

Is there anything else you feel we should consider?
Thanks for the replies.
Hey, i have been living in Riyadh for the past 5 years (outside of a compound) family of 3 so I can give you my general experience.

Expenses/month:
Rent - Good standard apartment (3 bedroom non compound) generally ranges from 75ksar to 100ksar per annum (non furnished). Location can make a difference. There is an app called Aqar worth downloading as can search for non compound accommodation and get a feel for price, location, quality etc.

Groceries - 4000 sounds about right for a family of 4 (groceries are expensive in general compared to UK especially for international brands)

School Fees - 8300 makes sense depending on age of kids but the British International schools start at around 60ksar per annum (watch out some schools have additional one off amounts in year 1 that can add up to 20ksar per child)

Internet - 300 sadly can be even more up to 450sar

Mobile - covered

Travel/car - 1000 for users makes sense but all depends

if buying a car and then running it factor in a decent 2nd hand car spacious enough for a family of 4 maybe budget around 100 to 150k sar (SUV). That's the overall cheapest method as cost of running is relatively low (petrol/insurance)

Entertainment/Eating Out - 2000 this can add up pretty quickly (i am not disciplined) the ease of apps/fancy restaurants that charge an arm and a leg.. I would say maybe 3k

Family levy/ tax - 1200 (some companies cover this cost worth double checking)

Other costs to factor in (exit re-entry costs (2300sar a year per person multiple exit re-entry). Although this you can do single exit re-entry everytime for cheaper amounts.

Just be aware in Year 1 of moving anywhere will always be additional upfront costs (vehicle, furniture, expenses that havent budgeted that come up so factor that in).

Also if you are relocating to jeddah after 1-year then I guess furnished accommodation in riyadh makes most sense. Jeddah (I think would also be more reasonable in terms of rent compared to Jeddah)