Reload this Page >

Expat life in Bahrain?

Expat life in Bahrain?

Old Dec 1st 2007, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

AlishaA is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Expat life in Bahrain?

Hi All...

I am a single girl planning to move to Bahrain with work..

Would appreciate if anyone can help me by letting me know about life out there, and if its good value to buy designer bags/makeup or would I have to bring this from London?

Thank you
Alisha
Old Dec 1st 2007, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

B.Geezer has much to be proud ofB.Geezer has much to be proud ofB.Geezer has much to be proud ofB.Geezer has much to be proud ofB.Geezer has much to be proud ofB.Geezer has much to be proud ofB.Geezer has much to be proud ofB.Geezer has much to be proud ofB.Geezer has much to be proud ofB.Geezer has much to be proud ofB.Geezer has much to be proud of
Default Re: Expat life in Bahrain?

Originally Posted by AlishaA
Hi All...

Would appreciate if anyone can help me by letting me know about life out there, and if its good value to buy designer bags/makeup or would I have to bring this from London?

Thank you
Alisha
Aha I see you are getting your priorities in order!

Yes Jimmy sh... you know whooooo is here charging loads of money for bag things to put your stuff in and lots of other designer outlets.

Reckon others will know more about this than me, of course, but could be a bit cheaper with the exchange rate now.

Do you know where you will be living - this may be a tad more important, but I am only a bloke, of course.
Old Dec 1st 2007, 5:44 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All...

Thank you
Alisha
hi and welcome! have you got a job all sorted and accomodation etc, that is the important thing. The Middle East is tax free so don't worry about the designer shopping, there is tons of it here in Dubai and I would imagine Bahrain to be the same. The Airport is good
Old Dec 1st 2007, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
hi and welcome! have you got a job all sorted and accomodation etc, that is the important thing. The Middle East is tax free so don't worry about the designer shopping, there is tons of it here in Dubai and I would imagine Bahrain to be the same. The Airport is good
BC, you forgot to mention Radley bags
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 1:45 am
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone.. well its an internal transfer within my company and they will organise accommodation etc. I am just wondering what life would be like.. and as I am single- are there more single people there- or is it a family destination? Are there bars, clubs etc and a good nightlife/social life?

Alisha
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 4:54 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I have a friend who moved there about 5 years ago, from Dubai and she loves it! yes there is things to do and clubs to join etc but it isn't London by any means. There will be single folk their - probably men at the Rugby Club
Relax and enjoy
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 4:54 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Lady Lou
BC, you forgot to mention Radley bags
only available here in the UAE
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
only available here in the UAE
Here we go again...the perks of Dubai .......
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: Expat life in Bahrain?

Originally Posted by Lady Lou
Here we go again...the perks of Dubai .......
ahh.. but Dubai is only an hour's flight right... can be done on a day trip no?
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to behold

hey Alisha, what kind of work do you do? Life here is great- not as pretty as Dubai I'm told, but it grows on you- and people are very nice...good luck.

re- handbags...absolutely no idea but can get some advice for you from some well bagged women when I get to work tomorrow...

Hi All...

Thank you
Alisha
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

B.Geezer has much to be proud ofB.Geezer has much to be proud ofB.Geezer has much to be proud ofB.Geezer has much to be proud ofB.Geezer has much to be proud ofB.Geezer has much to be proud ofB.Geezer has much to be proud ofB.Geezer has much to be proud ofB.Geezer has much to be proud ofB.Geezer has much to be proud ofB.Geezer has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by shiftdelete
hey Alisha, what kind of work do you do? Life here is great- not as pretty as Dubai I'm told, but it grows on you- and people are very nice...good luck.

re- handbags...absolutely no idea but can get some advice for you from some well bagged women when I get to work tomorrow...
Agreed - Bahrain is a great place!
Old Dec 2nd 2007, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by shiftdelete

Thank u soo much!

Well I work for hotels (management level).. so I am sure they will look after me well. I love my job so dont mind where I will be, am just working out if I will have a good 'after work' life. Working hours are normal.. in London I am 9am to 6pm Mon-Fri, however, I hear in Bahrain it is a 6 day week....

Alisha
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

shiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to beholdshiftdelete is a splendid one to behold

5 days for me...most others I know- I think Dubai is where people can't get their work done in 5 days..
..hospitality sounds like hard work..

Thank u soo much!

however, I hear in Bahrain it is a 6 day week....

Alisha
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

t19hlr will become famous soon enought19hlr will become famous soon enough

Thank u soo much!

Well I work for hotels (management level).. so I am sure they will look after me well. I love my job so dont mind where I will be, am just working out if I will have a good 'after work' life. Working hours are normal.. in London I am 9am to 6pm Mon-Fri, however, I hear in Bahrain it is a 6 day week....

Alisha
Alisha,

Bahraini working week is from Sunday to Thursday, but I guess in your line of business you will be expected to work any day of the week. Have a look at the Bahraini Labour Law (found on the Ministry of Labour website), it has quite detailed info on the specifics of working hours.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

macteepee is just really nicemacteepee is just really nicemacteepee is just really nicemacteepee is just really nicemacteepee is just really nicemacteepee is just really nicemacteepee is just really nicemacteepee is just really nicemacteepee is just really nicemacteepee is just really nicemacteepee is just really nice

Hi All...

Thank you
Alisha
Hi Alisha,

My partner and I will be relocating from Australia around the 13th Jan.......would definitely love to go shopping with another newbie once settled

PS I would also like to know more about the make-up price comparison. For a general example I MAC mascaras are $US11 in Hawaii(amongst other US states) does anyone know any MAC prices in Bahrain? Sorry to go OT, but whilst we're talking about make up, is there much you can't buy over there?