Expat info please

Old Apr 20th 2005, 7:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Palm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nice
Default Re: Expat info please

Originally Posted by samireh
Thanks..I know what you mean. We are here now so that's the hard work done, it's just working hard to make it work...it would be awful if we had to go back...I don't like Hereford!!!!
Don't worry you will get there. As I don't know much about you, I am not judging you or your families decision or reason for accepting a job in the UAE but was the package worth the move or were you better of in the UK?

I don't want to add any more stress to your family but bear in mind that it isn't legal for a minor to be out of schooling for more than 3 months and will have visa implications. Also note that when your brother reaches 18, he will no longer be allowed to be sponsored by your father if he isn't in full time education.
Old Apr 20th 2005, 8:58 am
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

TA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds a little raw to me, at least the housing part and car part, they should at least give an allowance large enough to cover 75% of the house and a full lease on a camry or something. Was the contract for 'family relocation' or only a personal move, if only a personal move than 60,000 is definitely around market rate for one person's accomodation.

My package includes

100% housing up to 85K dhs/annum
Jeep Cherokee
All petrol/maintenance/insurance/etc for car
6 weeks off a year with 3 roundtrip business class tickets anywhere for leave
3 economy class NYC-DXB 'Emirates' tickets for friends to visit, or the cash at the end of the year
All utilities
Cable/Internet/Phone
Mobile Phone/unlimited credit
Old Apr 20th 2005, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Palm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nice

Originally Posted by TA5
Sounds a little raw to me, at least the housing part and car part, they should at least give an allowance large enough to cover 75% of the house and a full lease on a camry or something. Was the contract for 'family relocation' or only a personal move, if only a personal move than 60,000 is definitely around market rate for one person's accomodation.

My package includes

Jeep Cherokee
3 economy class NYC-DXB 'Emirates' tickets for friends to visit, or the cash at the end of the year
All utilities
Cable/Internet/Phone

Now this will make Samireh feel better, for sure! I know she asked for info but rubbing benefits in her face will be hard to swallow.
Old Apr 20th 2005, 9:03 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TA5

My package includes

Jeep Cherokee
All utilities
Cable/Internet/Phone
now that is a sweet deal.
Old Apr 20th 2005, 9:11 am
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

TA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond repute

Ummm...i don't see how my post, in response to her question...

Originally Posted by Samireh
Okay guys....
I need some info here on what benefits your companies give you and your families for coming all the way here from Britain to live.
...is rubbing it in anyone's face.

If anything, if she could get a bunch of people to post what they actually get, she'd have more leverage to improve her situation...
Old Apr 20th 2005, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TA5

If anything, if she could get a bunch of people to post what they actually get, she'd have more leverage to improve her situation...

I know TA5, don't take it personal, trying to be humourous about a difficult subject but I have a weired way expressing myself having grown up in Switzerland. At least you didn't try to lecture the way I did and gave her exactly the kind of info she was after. Well done!
Old Apr 20th 2005, 9:18 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Palm Tree
I know TA5, don't take it personal, trying to be humourous about a difficult subject but I have a weired way expressing myself having grown up in Switzerland. At least you didn't try to lecture the way I did and gave her exactly the kind of info she was after. Well done!
cool...... glad u and TA5 are not at each others throats.
Old Apr 20th 2005, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Face81
cool...... glad u and TA5 are not at each others throats.
I find the bashing around very amusing most of the time but I think TA5 gets enough of it from others and doesn't need me adding to it. After all, we are all one big family on here and need to live up to Dubai's reputation of one big harmonious community.
Old Apr 20th 2005, 9:34 am
The Oracle

Originally Posted by Palm Tree
I find the bashing around very amusing most of the time but I think TA5 gets enough of it from others and doesn't need me adding to it. After all, we are all one big family on here and need to live up to Dubai's reputation of one big harmonious community.
well put.
Old Apr 20th 2005, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

LakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TA5

My package includes

Jeep Cherokee
All utilities
Cable/Internet/Phone
Sorry to be a party pooper but I think this sort of comparison is at best misleading, but more likely completely bloody useless.

The types of positions held, type and nationality of employing company etc etc are probably wildly different, so it really is comparing apples & pears and will probably just depress you Sami.

There are lots of people in Dubai who like nothing better than to bore everyone else with how wonderful their package is and how many wonderful, expensive material things they have. Big deal - most of that type could bore for Britain. If you think material wealth is required in order for you to be happy, you will NEVER be happy, as you will always want more, regardless of how much you already have.

Your parents obviously thought his deal was good when they accepted it, or they wouldn't have come all this way with you & your brother. What has made them change their minds? Hearing about other people's packages? Hope not. Face was right suggesting a possible house move as this is probably the biggest single expense you have. You can get far cheaper places than Jumeirah/Umm Suqueim if you look around. Also, cars are far cheaper here than in the UK so that shouldn't cost a fortune, unless you want something that does cost a fortune!

PT was also right about the school situation for your brother. Not sending him to school really shouldn't get brain space. Again though schools are far cheaper than private ones in the UK.

As I say Sami the expat culture here of not wanting to pay for anything yourself can probably skew reality a bit. Let's face it, you wouldn't get your company in the UK paying for half your rent, or anything else for that matter! Try to keep things in perspective and avoid comparing your situation with other people's. Happiness comes from appreciating what you do have rather than focussing on what you don't have. If your parents feel very strongly that your dad should be getting better for his position, then he should look for another job.
Old Apr 20th 2005, 10:19 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TA5

Keepin it real..
Old Apr 20th 2005, 3:07 pm
Restless soul

Happiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by LakesLassie
Sorry to be a party pooper but I think this sort of comparison is at best misleading, but more likely completely bloody useless.

The types of positions held, type and nationality of employing company etc etc are probably wildly different, so it really is comparing apples & pears and will probably just depress you Sami.

There are lots of people in Dubai who like nothing better than to bore everyone else with how wonderful their package is and how many wonderful, expensive material things they have. Big deal - most of that type could bore for Britain. If you think material wealth is required in order for you to be happy, you will NEVER be happy, as you will always want more, regardless of how much you already have.

Your parents obviously thought his deal was good when they accepted it, or they wouldn't have come all this way with you & your brother. What has made them change their minds? Hearing about other people's packages? Hope not. Face was right suggesting a possible house move as this is probably the biggest single expense you have. You can get far cheaper places than Jumeirah/Umm Suqueim if you look around. Also, cars are far cheaper here than in the UK so that shouldn't cost a fortune, unless you want something that does cost a fortune!

PT was also right about the school situation for your brother. Not sending him to school really shouldn't get brain space. Again though schools are far cheaper than private ones in the UK.

As I say Sami the expat culture here of not wanting to pay for anything yourself can probably skew reality a bit. Let's face it, you wouldn't get your company in the UK paying for half your rent, or anything else for that matter! Try to keep things in perspective and avoid comparing your situation with other people's. Happiness comes from appreciating what you do have rather than focussing on what you don't have. If your parents feel very strongly that your dad should be getting better for his position, then he should look for another job.

I think the fact that we are struggling to stay out of the overdraft...that's a very nice 'in an ideal world statement'. But you do need to cover basics to be happy.
Old Apr 20th 2005, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

LakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to beholdLakesLassie is a splendid one to behold

I think the fact that we are struggling to stay out of the overdraft...that's a very nice 'in an ideal world statement'. But you do need to cover basics to be happy.
Then as I said your dad needs to do something about it. My point was really just that you cannot make comparisons with other people when there are so many things that determine salary level - it's like comparing the MD of 1 company's salary with the receptionist in another. As you are in Dubai, though, chances are his search for something else should hopefully be easier than if you were all still in the UK. Hope so!
Old Apr 20th 2005, 8:20 pm
Restless soul

Happiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TA5

No any info is good....I'm keeping it all to give to my father so that he can have some facts and figures to put forward as an argument at the next contract renewal. Thanks
Old Apr 20th 2005, 8:51 pm
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

No any info is good....I'm keeping it all to give to my father so that he can have some facts and figures to put forward as an argument at the next contract renewal. Thanks
whatever you are doing good luck for your family Samireh. Me my self not too happy with hubby's packaging comparing what other family getting. But then again there are always up and down in every job, so I just have to make the most of it. xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.