Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Excess baggage?? Virgin Atlantic

Excess baggage?? Virgin Atlantic

Old Dec 2nd 2007, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

lofty1 has a spectacular aura aboutlofty1 has a spectacular aura aboutlofty1 has a spectacular aura about
Default Excess baggage?? Virgin Atlantic

Hi all,

I'm getting a bit worried now that me and the mrs are going to get stung badly for excess baggage when we fly out to Dubai on Thursday. The allowance is 23kg per person and we could easily double that - has anyone got any advice or experience of getting much more then that through when flying out??

Thanks in advance
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 1:06 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Excess baggage?? Virgin Atlantic

carry less and post the rest, pay for excess, or hope you get a nice person and not a busy flight and they might let you off...
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 1:39 am
Banned

Dago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to behold

Yes, it is becoming quite a source of income now. See the rules on geting a frequent flyer card - they may entitle you to extra allowance.

My challenge is that you need virtually nothing and that most of your stuff is not needed - e.g do you have books, soap, warm clothes, more than one of anything - antyway you can see what I'm getting at.

Suggest you freight your stuff out - plenty of agents in the UK and far cheaper than excess baggage rates.

But remember - you really don't need all you have packed!!
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 4:07 am
Camel Spotting

Bubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud ofBubbauk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lofty1
Hi all,

I'm getting a bit worried now that me and the mrs are going to get stung badly for excess baggage when we fly out to Dubai on Thursday. The allowance is 23kg per person and we could easily double that - has anyone got any advice or experience of getting much more then that through when flying out??

Thanks in advance
Got stung 75 quid by BA when I came out to Kuwait. The woman pointed out that they had halved the excess baggage charges, got nasty when I pointed out the flight was only half full!
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 5:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Paidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bubbauk
Got stung 75 quid by BA when I came out to Kuwait. The woman pointed out that they had halved the excess baggage charges, got nasty when I pointed out the flight was only half full!
Hey you were lucky I was 726 quid when I moved to Dubai, my life in three (large) suitcases (quite sad really)
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 5:41 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Virgin are one of the worst for charging for excess, with Emirates actually being one of the better ones. And you'll only get an increased allowance on a frequent flyer once you have racked up some serious points - for example my Emirates allowance is 32kg.

As others have said - post some of it. International recorded post isn't that expensive and it should arirve in 4-8 days. Pack minature toiletries for the first night and buy all that when you arrive
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 5:48 am
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

It is a source of income for the airlines, but working there I see why they do it. Aircraft fuel is VERY expensive so therefore more weight, more fuel. Most airlines have the 23kg limit and its very rare that they allow more, alot of the scales are now connected to the computers and so the checkin staff cant lie about the weight anyway even if they wanted to...Try ringing Virgin and asking if they could allow you some extra allowance before you go, that way it will be in your booking and the girl/guy will see it when you check in and you will have no problems..good luck.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 9:34 am

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute

Check if you are allowed a sports bag allowance. Most airlines will allow you 10-12kgs for speifc sports equpments.

Just dress it up to look like whichever sports gear gets you the allowance.

Worked for me....
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Paidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Welivehere;5627097]Check if you are allowed a sports bag allowance. Most airlines will allow you 10-12kgs for speifc sports equpments.

Just dress it up to look like whichever sports gear gets you the allowance.

Wow, wonder if it would have worked with international weight lifting ???
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 9:59 am

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paidtoplease
Wow, wonder if it would have worked with international weight lifting ???
Only up to 10-12kgs, so unless attemtping to qualify as the worlds weakest weight lifter can't see that getting by....
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 3:27 pm
Banned

Dago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to behold

Flew to Saudi from Dar Es Salaam via Qatar on Qatar airways for a return to Mombasa. I had a ton of excess because I'd been on a long trip on business class. Qatar said that the excess was 1% of first class fare per kilo which turned out to be more than my ticket so I left the stuff at the airport and sent a driver from Mombasa to go and collect it!!

Worked a treat so for all of you following this route...