Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Etisalat strikes again

Etisalat strikes again

Old Jan 16th 2006, 5:19 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Etisalat strikes again

I find it amusing that Etisalat ban access to this one particular story (presumably as Eriksson was set up in Dubai)...IF any damage is going to be done to the reputation of Dubai it will be abroad, I can't see any real benefit in stopping people in Dubai reading (if the paper was correct) about how this man is willing to sell out the country who has paid him @#*! loads of money to
(so far) win nowt!

If anything, Dubai has played a (small) part in exposing yet more greed/corruption in football!

http://www.7days.ae/local-news/eriks...y-blocked.html
Old Jan 16th 2006, 5:37 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Etisalat strikes again

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
If anything, Dubai has played a (small) part in exposing yet more greed/corruption in football!

http://www.7days.ae/local-news/eriks...y-blocked.html
Greed - perhaps

Corruption - why? What was corrupt about this?
Old Jan 16th 2006, 5:58 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
Greed - perhaps

Corruption - why? What was corrupt about this?
A friend sent me the article yesterday, Eriksson claimed he could tap up David Beckham and prise him away from Real Madrid to Aston Villa (Eriksson told the reporter it would take £25 million to get a controlling interest in the club, with a view to him being manager) — which is illegal in soccer. "He will come tomorrow. And it's up to me to convince him that Birmingham is the right place to be."

An interesting comment on this was how would it effect team line up for the World Cup - if Beckham was out of form, would he still have been picked by Eriksson (who would want to keep him happy in order to lure him to Aston Villa)?

As for greed, he wanted a three-year deal that would match Jose Mourinho's £5 million-a-year at Chelsea. As well as annual bonuses for players of £200,000 to £300,000 a year if cups were won. And for himself "a little larger than that".
Old Jan 16th 2006, 6:03 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
A friend sent me the article yesterday, Eriksson claimed he could tap up David Beckham and prise him away from Real Madrid to Aston Villa (Eriksson told the reporter it would take £25 million to get a controlling interest in the club, with a view to him being manager) — which is illegal in soccer. "He will come tomorrow. And it's up to me to convince him that Birmingham is the right place to be."
The greed part - it could be seen as greed, but could it also be seen as trying to get the best "package" for yourself.

The corruption part - ok I see more now - however why is it "illegal" (is it actually against the law or is it just against the FIFA rules?) to approach a player with an offer? In any other business this would be fairly usual practice no?

Just curious - I don't know that much about the ins and outs of footy business....
Old Jan 16th 2006, 6:15 am
Big Member

Originally Posted by Autonomy
The greed part - it could be seen as greed, but could it also be seen as trying to get the best "package" for yourself.

The corruption part - ok I see more now - however why is it "illegal" (is it actually against the law or is it just against the FIFA rules?) to approach a player with an offer? In any other business this would be fairly usual practice no?

Just curious - I don't know that much about the ins and outs of footy business....
Not sure about the whole legal position, I expect it is FA/FIFA as Chelsea/Ashley Cole were fined large amounts of money last year for attmepting a similar move.

Whatever the legal situation is, in my opinion it's still corruption - the England manager abusing his position (well paid, I might add!) to make more money for himself.

I agree in other business similar practices happen, but this man is ultimately paid for by fans (through tickets for games, which FA take cut of, through satellite TV subscriptions, and I would guess some indirect contribution from taxes).

Take a look at a lot of the people who go to football games, many will go without luxuries just to pay for a season ticket, or travel aborad to follow their team. How must they feel reading about the country manager offering to sell himself out? Not good, I would guess.
Old Jan 16th 2006, 6:22 am
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

In Canada, it's the biggest pussies who play soccer (as we call it).
I find it astounding that there is so much money involved in a sport that nobody knows/cares about in America.

I also find stuff like this (pic below) astonishing.
This is soccer's biggest star!? Did he join the Spice Girls or what?

Aaanyhow, back to the thread... can someone post the original (banned) link? I'd like to read the original.
Old Jan 16th 2006, 6:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Benson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to behold

check out this site, I got to it from there. UAE community blog
Old Jan 16th 2006, 6:35 am
Big Member

Originally Posted by BurpusMe
In Canada, it's the biggest pussies who play soccer (as we call it).
I find it astounding that there is so much money involved in a sport that nobody knows/cares about in America.

I also find stuff like this (pic below) astonishing.
This is soccer's biggest star!? Did he join the Spice Girls or what?

Aaanyhow, back to the thread... can someone post the original (banned) link? I'd like to read the original.
http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/stor...ws/news1.shtml
Old Jan 16th 2006, 6:37 am