British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Ethiad Airlines & AD (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/ethiad-airlines-ad-497633/)

The Dean Dec 3rd 2007 3:58 pm

Re: Ethiad Airlines & AD

Originally Posted by maranelloman (Post 5627970)
Many thanks for the comments on the airlines people. Ethiad will be getting my hard earned euros.

:thumbup:

Etihad are worth using on a regular basis - and join the frequent flyer thing ("Etihad Guest"). I can't quote 'chapter and verse' but you don't have to fly very far or very often with them (compared to other airlines) to become a silver member, or whatever it's called.

typical Dec 3rd 2007 4:18 pm

AUH really isn't bad. The lounge accessed with the Amex is far nicer than that in Dubai (though Dubai's BA lounge is better than both - when it's open). It's nowhere near as far to walk from road to gate as DXB, but neither is it as drab and unfriendly as SHJ.

Only at DXB does egate seem to work reliably, though.

The Dean Dec 3rd 2007 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by typical (Post 5628122)
AUH really isn't bad. The lounge accessed with the Amex is far nicer than that in Dubai (though Dubai's BA lounge is better than both - when it's open). It's nowhere near as far to walk from road to gate as DXB, but neither is it as drab and unfriendly as SHJ.

Only at DXB does egate seem to work reliably, though.

STOP PRESS - E-gates are being installed at Riyadh airport.

Now that is a major concession........ it's not so many years ago that I was subjected to a very unpleasant interrogation at the airport for bringing in some gifts wrapped in paper with Father Christmas on it......

typical Dec 3rd 2007 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 5628150)
STOP PRESS - E-gates are being installed at Riyadh airport.

Now that is a major concession........ it's not so many years ago that I was subjected to a very unpleasant interrogation at the airport for bringing in some gifts wrapped in paper with Father Christmas on it......

Don't hold your breath. The wood panels have been there for months.

And even if they help skip the nasty lines for immigration, they won't help you get through customs with Father Christmas wrapping paper.

The Dean Dec 3rd 2007 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by typical (Post 5628167)
Don't hold your breath. The wood panels have been there for months.

And even if they help skip the nasty lines for immigration, they won't help you get through customs with Father Christmas wrapping paper.

Well the point is they no longer search the cases unless the scanners detect something that doesn't look quite right - and there are rarely 'lines' at immigration.

Saudi is definitely relaxing the Islamic attitudes (I feel more comfortable there than in any of my three previous tours of duty dating back to 1992).

And do any other Saudi-based Bored members know what has happened to the mutawas? They're becoming known for their invisibility.......

MataHari Dec 3rd 2007 4:36 pm

is this were I tell people about my love for Egate....I love it

typical Dec 3rd 2007 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 5628187)
And do any other Saudi-based Bored members know what has happened to the mutawas? They're becoming known for their invisibility.......

They're around. A colleague of mine was accosted by one just yesterday. Still, I'm a newbie here, so I don't know what it was like before...

The customs authority seem pretty progressive, I have to say.

typical Dec 3rd 2007 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 5628194)
is this were I tell people about my love for Egate....I love it

Yes... I wish the UK's Iris system were as easy to register for.

MataHari Dec 3rd 2007 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by typical (Post 5628221)
Yes... I wish the UK's Iris system were as easy to register for.

oh yeah....this is just a 2 minute job thingy and Bob's your uncle....love it when I see the massive queus and we just sail through with 3 kids in tow...
pitty then you still have to wait for your luggage...

Grace O Malley Dec 3rd 2007 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 5627818)
Are you looking for eating or shopping? Zari Zardosi at the Meridien does nice new-age Indian/Japanese fusion, or if you're longing for something more authentic the Ibrahimi restaurant does great N. Indian/Pak food, but is low on luxury...

I'm the wrong man to ask about shopping, I'm afraid.... I go, I buy, I leave... if I have to.Glad to know that your wife is on the road to wellness, good luck to both of you in KSA! :)

Good choice SYB, ZZ is excellent, especially now the weather is good. Have you tried Indigo at the Beach Hotel yet?

Where is the Ibrahimi restaurant ?

Grace O Malley Dec 3rd 2007 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by maranelloman (Post 5627826)
Not looking to shop to be honest. Plenty of time for that in Saudi. Just looking to pass a few hours by getting some food. Well I get plenty of pak food, so probably give that a miss. Does Gordon Ramsey have a restaurant in AD? Or else ZZ sounds good.

Any other restaurants that should not be missed?

Vascos at the hilton always good or Amalfi at Royal Meridien.

benzonar Dec 3rd 2007 5:48 pm

I fly Etihad about once a month currently (lots of airmiles :D). I then to fly business and find it very good, the one time I flew coach was great flying out to AD but a nightmare coming back.

I think row 32 in coach is good for leg room, right by the exit doors if I remember right.

I have also flown BMI to Riyadh on a few occasions. Again business was pretty good, but at the time the aircraft was looking very tired. They have recently received a newly fitted out airbus which apparently is the dogs nuts.

If I am going to Riyadh I would use BMI (or Swissair or Lufthansa - avoid Air France), but if I am going to Bahrain/Dhahran then I prefer Etihad. I suppose if you are flying to Jeddah the BMI makes more sense, give it a go as it is not too bad.

maranelloman Dec 3rd 2007 5:49 pm

Cool. Thanks ppl.

Dean talking about changing Saudi. I was sent a CV for someone we are interviewing to join my team. Guess what. Its a woman! What the hell has been going on there since I was last there? :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy: Next thing you know they are gonna let them drive!

maranelloman Dec 3rd 2007 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by benzonar (Post 5628392)
I fly Etihad about once a month currently (lots of airmiles :D). I then to fly business and find it very good, the one time I flew coach was great flying out to AD but a nightmare coming back.

I think row 32 in coach is good for leg room, right by the exit doors if I remember right.

I have also flown BMI to Riyadh on a few occasions. Again business was pretty good, but at the time the aircraft was looking very tired. They have recently received a newly fitted out airbus which apparently is the dogs nuts.

If I am going to Riyadh I would use BMI (or Swissair or Lufthansa - avoid Air France), but if I am going to Bahrain/Dhahran then I prefer Etihad. I suppose if you are flying to Jeddah the BMI makes more sense, give it a go as it is not too bad.

I've been flying BA every week for a year now but on a Brussels Airlines ticket. I've got a ton of miles that are useless. The only good thing is I get lounge access. I've not been able to use it on a flight.

How is BMI club compared to other airlines? Does it give that budget impression like the rest of the plane? We get two club tickets per year to use on any airline, so when I travel with the family Im going to use the club tickets on a direct flight. So that will be either BMI or Saudia and at the moment its looking like saudia.

typical Dec 3rd 2007 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by maranelloman (Post 5628409)
How is BMI club compared to other airlines? Does it give that budget impression like the rest of the plane? We get two club tickets per year to use on any airline, so when I travel with the family Im going to use the club tickets on a direct flight. So that will be either BMI or Saudia and at the moment its looking like saudia.

No idea about club class, but the frequent flier program is awesome.