Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Especially for JD!

Especially for JD!

Old Jan 28th 2005, 7:21 am
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Especially for JD!

Originally Posted by Jellybean
It's not something that really takes my attention Dan.I just have a thing about the 's' and the 'z'.

How are you today anyhow?
JB ... I don't get all these 's' and 'z' things???
Old Jan 28th 2005, 10:15 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jellybean
OK Face
The Oracle is pleased.
Old Jan 28th 2005, 1:25 pm
Banned

DanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to all

Originally Posted by novita77
JB ... I don't get all these 's' and 'z' things???
Example: institutionaliSe, not institutionaliZe
Old Jan 28th 2005, 1:25 pm
Banned

DanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to all

Originally Posted by LakesLassie
It shows.
What does?
Old Jan 28th 2005, 1:38 pm
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DanMarsden
Agh I see ... my skill in English is not high enough ...
Old Jan 28th 2005, 2:05 pm
Yes, Master...

Tami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the rough

But Dan, we spell it the way we say it. We don't say "institutionalise" as in ice, we say "institutionalize" like realize, with the z pronounced.
Now, I'm mad, why exactly does poor little z "suck" and what is wrong with American English. I don't complain about the way you speak, so why are you complaining about the way Americans speak?
Old Jan 28th 2005, 2:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

naaa...it's a yank thing...they don't use many "U's" either...
Old Jan 28th 2005, 2:07 pm
Yes, Master...

Tami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the rough

Your English is just fine, Novi. It's a tough language and it has so many inconsistancies...bravo for you for getting this far. I certainly can't speak any other language as fluently as you do English, so you're way ahead of me!
Old Jan 28th 2005, 2:32 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Tami2
But Dan, we spell it the way we say it. We don't say "institutionalise" as in ice, we say "institutionalize" like realize, with the z pronounced.
Umm, well, it depends what sounds you have allocated for each letter. For example, British English has retained some of its connection to Old English which has many similarities to Old German. In German 's' is pronounced as 'z' and 'z' is pronounced as 'ts'. Modern English has lost its Germanic pronounciation, but kept its spelling.

Now, I'm mad, why exactly does poor little z "suck" and what is wrong with American English. I don't complain about the way you speak, so why are you complaining about the way Americans speak?
Never complained about the way Americans SPEAK. I just can't stand it when people force me to use THEIR prefered mode of spelling. You can use what you want, I don't much care. Although I must say I am pretty allergic to 'z'. :scared:
Old Jan 28th 2005, 2:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tami2
I don't complain about the way you speak, so why are you complaining about the way Americans speak?
hehe...it's the dodgy spelling...microsoft english ain't English is it
Old Jan 28th 2005, 2:57 pm
Banned

I cannot stand Microsh*t Word. Every time I type in the "ise" ending, it changes to "ize", and automatically changes the English - UK to English - USA.
Old Jan 28th 2005, 3:03 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bob
wots even worse is that they set the default language to U.S English on all software installed on most comps.

Silly yank spelling!

GlobaliZation indeed! lol
Old Jan 28th 2005, 3:05 pm
Banned

Oh that's nothing, trust me, if only it would reman on British English once you CHANGE it to that!
Old Jan 28th 2005, 3:18 pm
Yes, Master...

Originally Posted by Bob
Bob, ain't ISN'T a word!
Old Jan 28th 2005, 4:10 pm
The Oracle

Oh that's nothing, trust me, if only it would reman on British English once you CHANGE it to that!
lol. that can be a problem aswell. heh heh

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.