Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Is this enough dosh in Dubai???

Is this enough dosh in Dubai???

Old Nov 10th 2006, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

Spurs2007 is just really niceSpurs2007 is just really niceSpurs2007 is just really niceSpurs2007 is just really niceSpurs2007 is just really niceSpurs2007 is just really niceSpurs2007 is just really niceSpurs2007 is just really niceSpurs2007 is just really niceSpurs2007 is just really nice
Default Is this enough dosh in Dubai???

Hi, same boring question as many others, but have been offered a package of about 21k dhs salary, incl. accom allowances so its all in my pocket. Also have an interest-free car loan and one flight home.

My missus would be heading over with me and would also be looking for work and I have no kids so support.

I would like to save some money but realise that this aint a massive salary etc, and am aware of high rents, Given all that, is it worth a whirl for the experience? Any advice appreciated.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

Spurs2007 is just really niceSpurs2007 is just really niceSpurs2007 is just really niceSpurs2007 is just really niceSpurs2007 is just really niceSpurs2007 is just really niceSpurs2007 is just really niceSpurs2007 is just really niceSpurs2007 is just really niceSpurs2007 is just really nice
Default Re: Is this enough dosh in Dubai???

Thats per month obviously
Old Nov 10th 2006, 3:04 pm
Melts in your Mouth

Malteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond reputeMalteser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spurs2007
Thats per month obviously
Hey Spurs...welcome aboard

Pls note that its the weekend in Dubai at the mo hence no replies yet. Im sure loads are gonna give their opinions coming Sunday..
Old Nov 10th 2006, 3:38 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Malteser
Hey Spurs...welcome aboard

Pls note that its the weekend in Dubai at the mo hence no replies yet. Im sure loads are gonna give their opinions coming Sunday..
Yeah, but not all of us have lives, Malty. Especially those with high blood pressure.

Anyway, to answer the Spurs fella's question - sounds a reasonable amount to live on for a young, childless couple. You could live in a decent one-bedroom flat for that, I imagine. It all depends on what kind of life you want to lead, but you certainly won't starve, and if the wife gets a job as well, you're sorted.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that! Would it be possible to get a decent 2 bed anywhere for that? I would be looking to get something near the airport, is Mirdiff a decent place?
Old Nov 10th 2006, 5:15 pm
MJC
Lost in BE Cyberspace

MJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond reputeMJC has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that! Would it be possible to get a decent 2 bed anywhere for that? I would be looking to get something near the airport, is Mirdiff a decent place?
Mirdiff's fine, and yep, you'll be OK on that, don't think you'll be saving much until your missus get's a job though!!

BTW, I bet the result you had the other day brought a smileto your face. (And Little Jimmy's a smoggy, but don't hold it against him!!)
Old Nov 11th 2006, 6:41 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MJC
Mirdiff's fine, and yep, you'll be OK on that, don't think you'll be saving much until your missus get's a job though!!

BTW, I bet the result you had the other day brought a smileto your face. (And Little Jimmy's a smoggy, but don't hold it against him!!)
How is 19th place, barcode boy?

Mirdiff is OK, but you should be aware that it is under the approach path to DBX. And they fly all night.

You might be able to get a reasonable 2-bed flat for that money. There's Garhoud and Bur Dubai which aren't too far from the aiport, either.
Old Nov 13th 2006, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies. Yes was delighted with the result last weekend, but not so this week - ahhh the life of a Spurs fan

Couple of more questions, Deira - nice place?? also, are there any good property letting websites aside from checking the classifieds on gulfnews or dubizzle

ta very much
Old Nov 14th 2006, 4:42 am
A Natural Blonde

Zannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond repute

Check out Festival City, it's right on the Creek (Deira side). It's a bit of a building site at the mo, but will look great when completed. There are come places coming up soon, I think!
Old Nov 15th 2006, 10:38 am
Just Joined

Sounds exciting! Thanks Zannie
Old Nov 19th 2006, 2:23 pm
Restless soul

Happiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to behold

Hi, same boring question as many others, but have been offered a package of about 21k dhs salary, incl. accom allowances so its all in my pocket. Also have an interest-free car loan and one flight home.

My missus would be heading over with me and would also be looking for work and I have no kids so support.

I would like to save some money but realise that this aint a massive salary etc, and am aware of high rents, Given all that, is it worth a whirl for the experience? Any advice appreciated.

What kind of job would your wife want? She would probably want to get a job too and thats important for her.
Old Nov 20th 2006, 7:59 am
Just Joined

Hi Happiness,

She is flexible enough on the job type, she has experience in teaching english, event management and general office manager work. What are her prospects do you think?
Old Nov 20th 2006, 9:09 am
Restless soul

Happiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to beholdHappiness is a splendid one to behold

Hi Happiness,

She is flexible enough on the job type, she has experience in teaching english, event management and general office manager work. What are her prospects do you think?
There are lots of jobs in event management and office manager work. Its all very corporate out here, so she should go to the recruitment agencies as soon as she gets here and register. I am sure she will find something suitable.

Its long hours though (as with any job in Dubai) So she'll need to make sure she wont be working a six day week, or 8 til 6 without a lunch break. Tell her to be picky.