Reload this Page >

End of Service Benefits - Oman

End of Service Benefits - Oman

Old Dec 29th 2013, 4:48 am
Forum Regular

shah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default End of Service Benefits - Oman

Hi guys,

I am about to end my over 5 years tenure with a company in Oman. I have some annual leaves accumulated which I have not taken and off course there will be my gratuity. So my end benefits will include the leave encashment and gratuity.

Now the thing is that my employer is not very good in paying end of service benefits and I have seen they try to play tricks or delay the payments with ex-employees.

Does anyone here has any idea what kind of legal help can I get here if I am caught up in a similar position? There is no way I am leaving without taking what is mine.
Old Dec 29th 2013, 8:17 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: End of Service Benefits - Oman

Originally Posted by shah
Hi guys,

I am about to end my over 5 years tenure with a company in Oman. I have some annual leaves accumulated which I have not taken and off course there will be my gratuity. So my end benefits will include the leave encashment and gratuity.

Now the thing is that my employer is not very good in paying end of service benefits and I have seen they try to play tricks or delay the payments with ex-employees.

Does anyone here has any idea what kind of legal help can I get here if I am caught up in a similar position? There is no way I am leaving without taking what is mine.
bwahahahaha

good luck

read the employment law: http://www.manpower.gov.om/portal/en/labourlaw.aspx

make sure you know that your employer knows that you know the law. by the way, I'm pretty sure they do not have to pay you for any leave that you did not take. but read up on it.

do not leave early as your employer could put an absconding notice on you.

leave on the day your visa is cancelled at the airport with your employer's representative present. if you employer has not given you your end of service payment before you get to the airport, then at the visa section tell the visa people you are not leaving yet until you get your end of service money. have a letter in your bag prepared for this eventuality. get the visa guy to read the letter, to sign that he has read the letter, and get a photo of visa guy's residency card for the upcoming court case you will have to follow through.

then you will have to find a lawyer to pursue your ex employer through the labour courts. the courts in the meantime may take your passport. you now are stuck in the country, without a passport, without employment, and presumably reliant on friends or family for food or accommodation.

in the meantime your ex employer may claim that you have stolen money from them (this is a very popular bogus claim) in an effort to force you to drop the court case. if you do not drop, then they will take you to court, and you may have to spend time in prison awaiting trial for fraud.

six to twelve months will pass. if you are lucky you get the case against you dropped. if you are more lucky you win the case you filed but don't get your money back just your passport. Even if you win it is highly unlikely that they will pay you because there is no enforcement from the courts of payments. An Omani colleague of mine lost his 8yr daughter due to an unlicensed 17yr old drunk driver last year. The 17yr old was told to pay blood money. He still hasn't.

as I said, good luck.
Old Dec 29th 2013, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

hmm,. so things are not that easy.

any other advise apart from the bright picture above
Old Dec 29th 2013, 1:45 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

the gratitude. why do I bother?
wish I could delete the post now
Old Dec 29th 2013, 1:48 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shah
hmm,. so things are not that easy.

any other advise apart from the bright picture above
It's a shame to see a post like this. OriginalSunshine took time out of her day to post a lengthy reply to your question, it would have been nice if you thanked her, rather than offhandedly disregarded it
Old Dec 29th 2013, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you original sunshine.

I think I was in living in a denial at the moment i replied.

Didn't mean to hurt you though.
Old Dec 29th 2013, 4:41 pm
womble

ok - I hope you realise that what you say affects people, and will affect how I bother to reply to people in the future, or not.
Old Dec 29th 2013, 4:58 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
ok - I hope you realise that what you say affects people, and will affect how I bother to reply to people in the future, or not.
O.S it would be a sad loss if you decided to withdraw your valuable contribution.
In mitigation of this poster,can I just say that a quick flick thru' previous
posts demonstrates that Shah is indeed possessed of forum etiquette and manners.
The (rightful) reality check you delivered mayhap have stunned the poster- although
it surprises me that after 5 years in M.E one would think it so simple to exit without pain
and with all benefits.

I for one know your time is precious given your family commitments etc however
I think it would be a very sad loss to the Bored and future members if you withdrew
your tried and trusted wisdom.
Compliments of the season,I hope 2014 is a splendid journey for you and yours x

Last edited by Eva; Dec 29th 2013 at 5:16 pm. Reason: Sp
Old Dec 29th 2013, 6:43 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Bizarre.

Anyway more interested in my neeps.