Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Employment Contract Bahrain to Dubai HELP?

Employment Contract Bahrain to Dubai HELP?

Old Nov 8th 2012, 10:58 am
Just Joined

jonnirocket is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Employment Contract Bahrain to Dubai HELP?

Hi wonder if anyone can give me some advice, I have been in Bahrain for the past 3 years working for a Dubai based company on a Bahrain contract of employment, they now want me to move to Dubai.
The question is I will require a new contract for Res permit etc, how do I go about this, do I get my gratuity for the three years in Bahrain and start a new contract, can I request they put in my new contract that the contract is extended from my Bahrain contract start date.

any sugestions would be apreciated.

Kind Regards
John
Old Nov 11th 2012, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

camel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to all
Default Re: Employment Contract Bahrain to Dubai HELP?

Originally Posted by jonnirocket
Hi wonder if anyone can give me some advice, I have been in Bahrain for the past 3 years working for a Dubai based company on a Bahrain contract of employment, they now want me to move to Dubai.
The question is I will require a new contract for Res permit etc, how do I go about this, do I get my gratuity for the three years in Bahrain and start a new contract, can I request they put in my new contract that the contract is extended from my Bahrain contract start date.

any sugestions would be apreciated.

Kind Regards
John
1. Yes, you will need a new residence permit - it's a different country? Your company are required to arrange this for you, not the other way around.
2. Your leaving indemnity will only be paid AFTER 3 years so make sure you don't get shafted (ie. you finish the day before 3 years). According to BAH labour laws:
In respect of categories of workers to whom the provisions of the Social Insurance Law are not yet applicable, the employer concerned shall pay to such worker, upon termination of employment, a leaving indemnity for the period of his employment calculated on the basis of fifteen days' wages for each year of the first three years of service and of one month's wages for each year of service thereafter. Such worker shall be entitled to payment of leaving indemnity upon a quantum meruit in proportion to the period of his service completed within a year.
IE: you will only get 1.5 months salary as indemnity (basic salary with out housing etc.) on 3 years service.
3. More than likely it will be a new contract as it will be a new position in a different location (don't know your details so can't be more specific sorry) but your date of joining the 'parent' company will stay the same.
Old Nov 12th 2012, 6:42 am
Just Joined

jonnirocket is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Employment Contract Bahrain to Dubai HELP?

Originally Posted by camel jockey
1. Yes, you will need a new residence permit - it's a different country? Your company are required to arrange this for you, not the other way around.
2. Your leaving indemnity will only be paid AFTER 3 years so make sure you don't get shafted (ie. you finish the day before 3 years). According to BAH labour laws:
In respect of categories of workers to whom the provisions of the Social Insurance Law are not yet applicable, the employer concerned shall pay to such worker, upon termination of employment, a leaving indemnity for the period of his employment calculated on the basis of fifteen days' wages for each year of the first three years of service and of one month's wages for each year of service thereafter. Such worker shall be entitled to payment of leaving indemnity upon a quantum meruit in proportion to the period of his service completed within a year.
IE: you will only get 1.5 months salary as indemnity (basic salary with out housing etc.) on 3 years service.
3. More than likely it will be a new contract as it will be a new position in a different location (don't know your details so can't be more specific sorry) but your date of joining the 'parent' company will stay the same.
Hi Thank you for your response, I am thinking as I am employed from the Middle East office based in Dubai that I could just get them to renew my contract form my start date in Bahrain, an extension of contract for different location so I would not loose my gratuity this should be possible to negotiate?

Regs JT
Old Nov 13th 2012, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

camel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to allcamel jockey is a name known to all
Default Re: Employment Contract Bahrain to Dubai HELP?

Originally Posted by jonnirocket
Hi Thank you for your response, I am thinking as I am employed from the Middle East office based in Dubai that I could just get them to renew my contract form my start date in Bahrain, an extension of contract for different location so I would not loose my gratuity this should be possible to negotiate?

Regs JT
Again depends on the contract and your company. Best to take it up with them sorry!