Reload this Page >

Employer Withholding Passport in Saudi Arabia

Employer Withholding Passport in Saudi Arabia

Old Jan 15th 2012, 10:44 am
Just Joined

meandmrsjones is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Employer Withholding Passport in Saudi Arabia

Dear all.

I'm quietly shitting myself about what happens to my passport when i enter Saudi. You see, i've been offered a contract in Riyadh with an International School. The contract says nothing about the the need to relinquish my passport to the hands of the employer. However, i have been advised by people who used to work in Saudi to.....

1)....hold on to the passport and NEVER give it to an employer
2)....make sure a multiple entry visa is part of the deal
3) ....get written assurance (of 1 and 2) incorporated in to the contract.

Just to make things clear. The school certainly looks bona fida to me and i do trust the principal and i do have a very good feeling about the employer. But we all know how things can change! My questions to you lads and lasses out there are as follows: -

A) Is it reasonable of me to ask for the assurances (as above,1 & 2) to incorporated in to the contract?

B) What's the deal with handing over passports to Saudi employers? Should it be done or should one hold on to it for dear life?

C) Exit visas. I read that an employer MUST grant you the right to exit the country. Does this rule remain the same regardless of the kind (single, multiple entry) of visa one has?

Hope someone can help. I thank you in advance for your assistance.

Cheers
Old Jan 15th 2012, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Employer Withholding Passport in Saudi Arabia

Has anyone actually suggested that you'll be required to hand over your passport, or are you just what-iffing?

You'll have to do it at some point, to get the visa stamped....
Old Jan 15th 2012, 4:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

You need an exit visa to leave. im practice makes no difference if the employer holds your passport. you can't get out without your employers approval.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
Has anyone actually suggested that you'll be required to hand over your passport, or are you just what-iffing?

You'll have to do it at some point, to get the visa stamped....
Thanks for the reply.

I'm what-iffing, but with based on common fact. You see, nobody has suggested that i have to hand over my passport to the employer, but there seems to be an unwritten rule, which is actually against Saudi law, that foreign employees must hand it over for 'safekeeping' etc...and once you hand it over you won't get it back until you leave the job or decide to take a holiday outside of Saudi. My concern that the employer could play with your life and use it as leverage etc.
Old Jan 15th 2012, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by gottheTshirt
You need an exit visa to leave. im practice makes no difference if the employer holds your passport. you can't get out without your employers approval.
I see. thanks for clearing that up. Are there many cases where the employer holds the passport unnecessarily and makes the employees life a living hell? Do all employers hold employees passports? What happens if, as in the case of one guy i know in Saudi, you pointblank refuse. He kept his passport for 15 years. What i'm asking now is "does his case seem to be the exception rather than the rule?"

What about you guys? Does your employer insist on holding your passport? Do you get it back whenever you ask for it?
Old Jan 16th 2012, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry about it too much - if it ever gets to the point where the employer point-blank refuses to let you leave the country the British Consulate/Embassy would step in and deal with the matter for you. [They won't like doing it and will bitch and moan but would be duty-bound to assist you].
Old Jan 16th 2012, 2:42 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meandmrsjones
I see. thanks for clearing that up. Are there many cases where the employer holds the passport unnecessarily and makes the employees life a living hell? Do all employers hold employees passports? What happens if, as in the case of one guy i know in Saudi, you pointblank refuse. He kept his passport for 15 years. What i'm asking now is "does his case seem to be the exception rather than the rule?"

What about you guys? Does your employer insist on holding your passport? Do you get it back whenever you ask for it?
Assuming you're white and a British/US/Australian/New Zealand/Canadian passport holder, you'll be fine.

They only tend to hold on to the passports of workers from poorer countries.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 3:18 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
Don't worry about it too much - if it ever gets to the point where the employer point-blank refuses to let you leave the country the British Consulate/Embassy would step in and deal with the matter for you.
You must be joking.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 5:57 am
Off Topic

northbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nicenorthbadawi is just really nice

You enter the Kingdom on Residence visa. It is single entry and must be exchanged to the Residence Permit - Iqamah, which becomes the only valid document while in Kindom.
You can not exit the Kindom without Exit-reentry (or final exit) visa, and you can not get it without permision of your sponsor. If you are a teacher then should be no problem during school holidays (= your vacation).
Not all employers hold employees passports, and not of every employee, it mostly depends on the color of passport and skin (i.e. on salary).

If case you will be on Business visa (single or multiple entry) then it is another story.

The worst what may happen to your passport:
http://arabnews.com/saudiarabia/article473615.ece
and irrespective it will be kept in employers office or under you bed.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

khitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nice

Which International School are you going to be working at?
Old Jan 16th 2012, 11:38 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
Don't worry about it too much - if it ever gets to the point where the employer point-blank refuses to let you leave the country the British Consulate/Embassy would step in and deal with the matter for you. [They won't like doing it and will bitch and moan but would be duty-bound to assist you].
hoofie: Thanks for your kind words. I hope the Briish Embassy in KSA is better than others around the World. You see, i wished i shared your faith and confidence, but a large part of the reason for my initial insecurity about the passport topic is the British Embassy. I have never heard or read anything positive about them. The dealings i have personally had with them have been shambolic at best. I would hate to have to deal with them, rely on them and count on them 100% in a crisis.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 11:41 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by auzdafluff
Assuming you're white and a British/US/Australian/New Zealand/Canadian passport holder, you'll be fine.

They only tend to hold on to the passports of workers from poorer countries.
Yeah, i fit that criteria. [/B]
Old Jan 16th 2012, 11:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mentalist
You must be joking.
I think you have had the same experiences with the British Embassy as i have.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 11:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by northbadawi
You enter the Kingdom on Residence visa. It is single entry and must be exchanged to the Residence Permit - Iqamah, which becomes the only valid document while in Kindom.
You can not exit the Kindom without Exit-reentry (or final exit) visa, and you can not get it without permision of your sponsor. If you are a teacher then should be no problem during school holidays (= your vacation).
Not all employers hold employees passports, and not of every employee, it mostly depends on the color of passport and skin (i.e. on salary).

If case you will be on Business visa (single or multiple entry) then it is another story.

The worst what may happen to your passport:
http://arabnews.com/saudiarabia/article473615.ece
and irrespective it will be kept in employers office or under you bed.
Thanks very much for your response. This hits the nail on the head. The article was very helpful too. Yes, i am a teacher, so i am hoping that this will mean something and they will allow me to keep my passport. How about you, are you a teacher? What about all the other guys and gals who responded on this thread - are you all teachers?

One of the main reasons i would like to keep my own passport, even in light of the significance of having an exit visa, is war or civil unrest. In times like these (especially with the Arab Spring fresh in our mind) with swift exits being crucial, what would you do if your boss had your passport under his bed or locked up in the office safe? If it's a weekend or a long national holiday you would not be able to access your passport. At least by having it on your hip you would be able to cross in to a bordering country by paying a bribe or pleading 'temporary asylum'.

You can't be too careful...
Old Jan 16th 2012, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by khitan004
Which International School are you going to be working at?
Khitan - I would really like to tell you the answer to this, but i am afraid that the school's staff members will read this thread. They will think i am being very negative about the employer and his intentions with my passport; and it could result in the contract being ripped up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.