Reload this Page >

Emirates NBD help!

Emirates NBD help!

Old Sep 17th 2013, 4:16 pm
Just Joined

gjames2013 is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Emirates NBD help!

Hello everyone

Sorry if this question has been asked a million times.

Here is my situation:

I moved over a couple of weeks ago from the UK to Dubai. I was last minute offered a job so didnt really have time to save necessary funds - I just grabbed the opportunity.

I'm currently staying in pretty bad accommodation. I mean it's liveable - just about! - but my salary, when I start getting it, will be able to give me better.

I'm waiting for my Visa which should be a few weeks and everybody has said to join Emirates NBD bank.

Just wondering - is there anyway they can help out fresh expats with money to settle in? Be it a credit card or loan? Or will I need to have 3 months salary going into that account?

What is the process for applying for a credit card with Emirates NBD - what do they base the limit on? Ie what salary allows you which card? And also, how do they give you credit cards here? Do they find out your UK credit score?

ALSO, I've read on here that if you leave the country - even to go on holiday - but have a loan/credit card - you are required to pay it off at the airport? But what if it's just a holiday?

And what happens if I get offered another job that is better. Will everything stay the same and I just inform the bank?

Any information would be great!

Cheers
Old Sep 17th 2013, 5:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emirates NBD help!

Originally Posted by gjames2013
Hello everyone

Sorry if this question has been asked a million times.

Here is my situation:

I moved over a couple of weeks ago from the UK to Dubai. I was last minute offered a job so didnt really have time to save necessary funds - I just grabbed the opportunity.

I'm currently staying in pretty bad accommodation. I mean it's liveable - just about! - but my salary, when I start getting it, will be able to give me better.

I'm waiting for my Visa which should be a few weeks and everybody has said to join Emirates NBD bank.

Just wondering - is there anyway they can help out fresh expats with money to settle in? Be it a credit card or loan? Or will I need to have 3 months salary going into that account?

What is the process for applying for a credit card with Emirates NBD - what do they base the limit on? Ie what salary allows you which card? And also, how do they give you credit cards here? Do they find out your UK credit score?

ALSO, I've read on here that if you leave the country - even to go on holiday - but have a loan/credit card - you are required to pay it off at the airport? But what if it's just a holiday?

And what happens if I get offered another job that is better. Will everything stay the same and I just inform the bank?

Any information would be great!

Cheers
When you say "Everyone has said to join Emirates NBD Bank", is that like "Everyone says Nick Griffin is a great guy"?
Old Sep 17th 2013, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

Not everyone - but the majority...

A helpful comment would be appreciated
Old Sep 17th 2013, 5:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gjames2013

A helpful comment would be appreciated
So would 'please' and 'thank you'.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

Sorry

Just came on here looking for some information after struggling for a bit. I don't mind jokes if you're going to help me a little with information also!

Cheers
Old Sep 17th 2013, 5:55 pm
When in doubt, mumble.

Poshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud ofPoshy has much to be proud of

Be patient Young Jedi......................the kind ones will come....
Old Sep 17th 2013, 9:41 pm
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute

Usually your workplace will recommend a bank. I used ADCB and it was fine.

Please think very very carefully about taking out any kind of debt so soon. They usually don't let you anyway, but once your three months are you will be bombarded with credit offers. Don't take them.

Live modestly for a while until things get more settled. A few months of discomfort is nothing compared to the misery you'll face if you saddle yourself with loans, lose your job, can't pay the whole lot off immediately and end up in jail. You can happily go on holiday with loans. But beware the easy credit trap. Can't stress that enough.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 6:27 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

HSBC have been bang average for me but par for the course.

They gave me a credit card and account before I had a visa. In fact, they probably don't have a copy of my visa still.

I've never heard of things like loans / cards being paid off at the airport, sounds like a load of bollocks to me.

UK credit score is irrelevant, CC with your bank will be easy to get and they'll give you a limit based on sort of earnings. When I turned up I was on 18ish, they gave me 20k Credit Card. It's now doubled in limit because I kept paying it off...crafty bastards.

If you move jobs, try not to tell the bank / try to get your employer to not tell the bank, they'll freeze the accounts I believe.

Just relax, get a CC and DONT GO ****ING CRAZY ON IT.

You'll find accomm with 4/6/12 cheques so you don't HAVE to have lots of cash money to set up.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

Your question about your UK credit score and then wanting a loan and/or a credit card sounds like trouble to me

All the banks will give you credit and they'll all throw you in jail too

The airport stuff is bollocks... Unless you have defaulted