Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Embassies OR Pubs ??

Embassies OR Pubs ??

Old Nov 11th 2010, 10:43 pm
Just Joined

Gulf Bird is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Embassies OR Pubs ??

Because there no Pubs or Bars in Saudi , some embassies are playing this role. I have looked at the charters, mission statements and visions of many foreign offices in different countries and none of them states ( entertaining nationals ) as one of their responsibilites.

Are we witnessing a shift in political sciences or are these places called embassies in Riyadh are not actually embassies ?
Old Nov 12th 2010, 3:46 am
BE Forum Addict

coffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond reputecoffindodger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Embassies OR Pubs ??

Originally Posted by Gulf Bird
Because there no Pubs or Bars in Saudi , some embassies are playing this role. I have looked at the charters, mission statements and visions of many foreign offices in different countries and none of them states ( entertaining nationals ) as one of their responsibilites.

Are we witnessing a shift in political sciences or are these places called embassies in Riyadh are not actually embassies ?
Well the British Embassy certainly is a farce.
You telephone them up with a question and they havent got a clue!!!
Now the passports have to be sent to Germany !!!! of all places, thats even less work for them to do.
Re the social side of the embassy, lets not even go there.
I have more of a social life out side the embassy.

With social evening in the next couple of weeks in the USA, Italy, French, and the Dutch.

My thoughts are well know on here re the embassy.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 11:38 am
Just Joined

Take it easy and be careful with your blood pressure, you are a valuable contributor to this forum.

If you, in the middle of London or Paris, ask people to VOTE on whether their embassies abroad is responsible for entertaining their nationals in these countries, not only the answer is big NO and zero votes for yes, but they will laugh at the idea and probably would not belive it is happening. So if you are proud of your freedom and democracy take the people's view and abide by it.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

nogoingback is a jewel in the roughnogoingback is a jewel in the roughnogoingback is a jewel in the roughnogoingback is a jewel in the rough

None of your business what our embassies do so keep your nose out.
You know nothing about freedom, Real freedom. Yes we have problems in the civilized world but we are a million light years ahead of the nations in the ME.
How many of us do you think would be here but for the tax free salarys paid to us because the locals are generally too Lazy/Stupid (Please check out IQ and the wealth of nations for the general IQ levels here in the sand pit) to do the work them selves.

No the west is not perfect and our Embassies are not the best they could be but they generally are a mirror of the countries them selves eg come in, you are welcome have a drink.
We strive not to have our embassies as bastions of prostitution(KSA embassy London) and murder(Please read about the Libyan embassy and PC Yvonne Fletcher).

<snip>

Last edited by Sue; Nov 12th 2010 at 8:00 pm. Reason: Inappropriate comment removed
Old Nov 12th 2010, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by nogoingback
None of your business what our embassies do so keep your nose out.
You know nothing about freedom, Real freedom. Yes we have problems in the civilized world but we are a million light years ahead of the nations in the ME.
How many of us do you think would be here but for the tax free salarys paid to us because the locals are generally too Lazy/Stupid (Please check out IQ and the wealth of nations for the general IQ levels here in the sand pit) to do the work them selves.

No the west is not perfect and our Embassies are not the best they could be but they generally are a mirror of the countries them selves eg come in, you are welcome have a drink.
We strive not to have our embassies as bastions of prostitution(KSA embassy London) and murder(Please read about the Libyan embassy and PC Yvonne Fletcher).
If it was not for my country, you would have been in your sleeping bag homeless in Oxford street begging pedestrians for your lunch. You came because you are jobless.

When you are in my country what you and your embassy do is my business whether you like it or not. If you do not like it get the hell out.

Last edited by Pollyana; Nov 13th 2010 at 4:41 am. Reason: quoted post edited as original now edited by Admin
Old Nov 12th 2010, 4:54 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

If it was not for my country, you would have been in your sleeping bag homeless in Oxford street begging pedestrians for your lunch. You came because you are jobless.

When you are in my country what you and your embassy do is my business whether you like it or not. If you do not like it get the hell out.
why do you post on here?

If all the foreigners left Saudi, could the locals function as a society?

who does all the work?

do you think people in Saudi would be jobless in their own country? in this case GB?

what is your profession? what do you and your family contribute to your society and community?
Old Nov 12th 2010, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

When you are in my country what you and your embassy do is my business whether you like it or not.
Is it though? Aren't embassies supposed to be immune to local culture/rules. A haven if you like.

Loved the two roast suckling pigs (snouts n all) at the recent embassy do I attended in Riyadh. Apple sauce and crackling too. Lulley.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by commander
why do you post on here?

If all the foreigners left Saudi, could the locals function as a society?

who does all the work?

do you think people in Saudi would be jobless in their own country? in this case GB?

what is your profession? what do you and your family contribute to your society and community?
All who respect the local culture and norms are welcome.

Let us remain in the subject. Is it correct for an embassy to be involved in entertaining it's nationals as well ? Is this a typical role for an embassy ?

Those who live on embassy's drinks were shocked when I raised the issue.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Gulf Bird;8978058]All who respect the local culture and norms are welcome.
/QUOTE]

Yes I fully respect the norm of hitting and kicking of south asians as if they were a herd of animals at King Khalid airport. Something I was thankful of this morning as I as a 'Frangi' was ushered to the front of the check in queue.

Keep up the good work!
Old Nov 12th 2010, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

nogoingback is a jewel in the roughnogoingback is a jewel in the roughnogoingback is a jewel in the roughnogoingback is a jewel in the rough

GULFBIRD, i doubt I would be on Oxford street in a sleeping bag as i have assets of circa 400,000GBP in the UK so I am a long way off destitute and my skill set is in demand, but I came here to work which I have done very successfully.
Tell me did you Google The wealth of Nations?
Your father did well by bringing fresh genes in to his tribe by marrying your British mother but I guess it is too little too late in your case.
Do they have genetic abnormality checks in Bahrain before marriage as marrying first cousins has such a dreadful effect on the population which shows so sadly in the numbers of mentally disadvantaged in the ME.
Hm now if you dont mind I have a wife who is not related to me waiting for me with a nice cold Bombay Saphire.
Oh yes I nearly forgot Embassies are classed as sovereign parts of the country they represent which means that the countries involved can generally do what the F8ck they want as long as it is within the laws of the said country.(Oh sorry shooting innocent police constables falls out side of these rules but as we want less sand ni00ers in Britain we graciously allowed the Libyan delegation to leave in disgrace, mostly with sheets covering their cowardly faces. Please google this also.)

If any of this information is to taxing for you please ask your Phillipina maid who generally will be better qualified than you and who almost certainly has had relations with your father.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 7:48 pm

SugarMetal is a name known to allSugarMetal is a name known to allSugarMetal is a name known to allSugarMetal is a name known to allSugarMetal is a name known to allSugarMetal is a name known to allSugarMetal is a name known to allSugarMetal is a name known to allSugarMetal is a name known to allSugarMetal is a name known to allSugarMetal is a name known to all

I find it really disheartening that there's such inherent prejudice coming from both sides...
Old Nov 12th 2010, 7:54 pm

SugarMetal is a name known to allSugarMetal is a name known to allSugarMetal is a name known to allSugarMetal is a name known to allSugarMetal is a name known to allSugarMetal is a name known to allSugarMetal is a name known to allSugarMetal is a name known to allSugarMetal is a name known to allSugarMetal is a name known to allSugarMetal is a name known to all

Originally Posted by nogoingback
like the rest of the inbred uneducated muslims of the world.
I mean is this really necessary?
Old Nov 12th 2010, 8:01 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

And in return may I ask you take into consideration the title of this site, and bear that in mind next time you post.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 8:03 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SugarMetal
I find it really disheartening that there's such inherent prejudice coming from both sides...
I agree.

Whilst I understand that certain subjects can raise emotions I ask that people treat each other with respect. Some of the comments aimed at other members in this thread are unnecessary, and not in the spirit of BE.

As I can see no good coming out of this thread I am closing it.